• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k or 6800k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I know this has been discussed 1 million times already .
But I recently got back into gaming and overclocking again .
Just put a founders edition GTX 1070 and a new Sony 4K television so needless to say I am hooked on 4K gaming and VR and back to my old ways of overclocking and system building .

I know this question has been hammered 1 million times already, but I'm interested in some insight on these two processors .

6700k obviously less cores, Higher clock speed, better Gaming processor overall.
Probably 4.5 GHz plus overclock on air .

6800k six cores, new updated motherboard X99 revision . Better for multithreaded applications, enpcoding, decoding, video and graphics editing, in my opinion more future proof if I'm only building A new rig maybe every five or six years these days . What are we looking with over clocks on air for 24/7 usage ?

I'm thinking If 4.2 gigahertz on air can be achieved with this 6800k processor it may be a consideration for my 4K high res gaming and a tad more future proof for me .

Right now I have no reason to upgrade at all. I'm using a 3770 K at 4.2 GHz . GTX 1070 FE. Samsung 940 pro. 8 GB of ddr3-1600 .

What do you guys think ? Is there anything new on the horizon worth waiting for from a gamers perspective ? I'm definitely looking for a few more FPS under 4K ultra gaming , but I am not interested in going SLI or crossfire ever again lol... So my next upgrade will be selling the 1070 for a GTX 1080 as well as a potential new rig..

Hiya Dom!

I'm in the same boat as far as upgrades go. Yeah I got a pretty modern setup currently and I have the opportunity to make a jump to an X99/6800K and then wait a bit for a single 1080. I game on a 43" 1080p LCD and not feeling the 4K bug yet. My 390 does just fine with evrything maxed out and not one single hiccup ;) My days of SLI/Xfire are looong gone.

For more FPS, you need a more powerful card ;)

Gaming wise, I don't think you will see any difference between a [email protected] and a [email protected]. 4k and VR are so much GPU bound that the CPU power of those chips is more than sufficient, for years to come. Look at the Sandy Bridges, almost 6 years old, and still pulling some weight when decently overclocked...

Your choice man! Though one ;)

I went myself with a 5820k, because I wanted to play with a 6 cores Intel CPU, but I took me a while to decide, as I was in the same boat as you.

I went with a skylake i5 6600k just for the fun of it and it was a good sale I was watching out fore. I purchased the hole upgrade fore the price of $409.97 including shipping. Three weeks ago I had a sandybridge i5 2500k. I have not noticed any difference in performance on anything and I use my i5 6600k PC every night.

Three weeks ago I had a sandybridge i5 2500k. I have not noticed any difference in performance on anything and I use my i5 6600k PC every night.

No difference ? Really ? I went from a FX-8370 4.7ghz to a 6700k 4.7ghz and my games nearly doubled fps, programs like video coding are MUCH faster and I noticed a definite speed bump in overall Windows. Unless you're using the computer only for web browsing (or are GPU locked) you should have noticed around 25%-35% extra performance ?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/3503vs619

Last edited:
You need benchmarks from a reputable site Anandtech. The Gigahertz race is over for new CPU's, all intel has left to improve is efficiency and instructions like AVX 2. IPC helps the most in gaming and it is hard to increase without increasing the speed of the CPU.

The improvement in gaming with i7 2600k vs i7 6700k is 2% to 4% and in productivity 25% clock for clock. Here is the link to the Benchmarks. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/22
i7 6700k vs 172600k.jpg

Heres a gaming comparison from a reputable source then, 10fps-30fps difference depending on the game :

^@1080p.

As soon as you go above that, the difference becomes negligeable.

Heck, the 2500k kicks some *** still!!!

Regarding the 8370 to 6700k, even a 2500@ stock was pulling more FPS than a 8350@5GHz on 99% of games.

It used to be a big deal on this forums : pro and cons AMD FX's. It kind of vanished, as the consensus is that AMD cpu's can just not compete with sandy bridges and above.

6700: http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
6700K: http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz
6800K: http://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

The 6700K looks like the best purchase, unless 1) you're sure you're going to actually need those additional cores, 2) the benefit outweighs the benefits of 6700 and 6700K (judging by the above stats, I'd be skeptical), and 3) you're prepared for some really massive cooling requirements (unless the 140W TDP doesn't mean as much as it looks). And price probably comes in as #4. I wouldn't spend too much money futureproofing at the expensive of novelty tax + top-of-line tax, so I'd be inclined to stick with 6700K, or possibly locked 6700 with a board with external BCLK regulator chip.

Heres a gaming comparison from a reputable source then, 10fps-30fps difference depending on the game :

Good video, glad to see my i5 6600k is not a waste, I need to buy a GTX 1070 sometime so I can see a FPS difference at 1080p.

Dominick I would go with i7 6700k 4 cores and 8 threads it is going to go a long way in the next five years with DirectX 12 also vulkan, they are making the games use the existing cores a lot more efficiently, CPU power wont be a problem.

directx 12.jpg

From what I see in forums the i7 6800k does not overclock as well as the i7 6700k.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my 6700k. Very happy. I don't notice much difference over my FX 6350 until gaming, where the Intel makes its presence known.

Yup. I tested the old card in the new rig with Catzilla and got higher scores than in the old rig. Overall the new rig compared to the old was a threefold increase. When I get the old rig back together I'll try the new card in it and see what happens.

Thank you for the replies everyone! I made my decision . I am heeding a lot of the advice here but I'm not buying anything for the time being ! I'm going to wait for the next Skylake refresh , and instead of buying a GTX 1080 to replace my 1070 , i'm going to sell my 1070 and buy a GTX titan pascal on release . (3840 cuda cores it is supposed to be the first single GPU to handle ultra settings full 4K , high and smooth FPS gaming.

So my upgrade path is going to be GTX titan P, then next year the sky lake refresh .

IF I were you, I'd wait for the 1080ti instead of Titan Pascal: certainly about the same performance (or little less/little more) for 30% less $$$.

And nebulous! Wow man! how the hell are you ??? We used to be benching Buddies 10 years ago ! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

IF I were you, I'd wait for the 1080ti instead of Titan Pascal: certainly about the same performance (or little less/little more) for 30% less $$$.

Exactly, this is all hypothetical of course since we really have no idea how these cards are going to perform . But obviously if there is a very little difference in performance to price I'm going to pick up a GTX TI .. Either way, I have a feeling that the releases of those 2 SKU's is going to change the game completely in the 4K gaming world. As it is I am astounded at the performance of a single 1070 . Really mind blowning performance on my 4K monitor . But I'm not going to write to you and tell you I wouldn't be happier with 60 FPS plus frame rates because I totally would be . That is all that is missing to complete my set up . . That is where GTX Ti or titan P comes into play since I refuse to put Sli or CF in my PC ever again

Last edited:
Yup. I tested the old card in the new rig with Catzilla and got higher scores than in the old rig. Overall the new rig compared to the old was a threefold increase. When I get the old rig back together I'll try the new card in it and see what happens.
Cool can't wait to hear the results.

TBF there really isn't almost any difference between the 1080Ti and Titan Pascal, little more Cuda/TMU and 24gb VRAM which is kinda superfluous for the average user nowadays but we all know there's going to be a massive price difference, so 1080Ti all the way : http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-pascal-1080ti-and-titan-spec-leaks/

Back