• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows 10 support all the compatibility modes that Windows 7 did?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I still play old, old games (Xwing Alliance for one). Does Windows 10 still support Windows 98 compatibility mode and all the others?

I just looked and it shows it has support all the way back to Win95. ymmv

Z

That's a given with x64 OS :D

I've always had a 32bit OS in a VM to run 16bit apps.

Maybe a Docker can be built for legacy 16bit/8bit apps that runs in windows.

Just in case anyone is taking you guys seriously, there was never any support earlier than Windows 95.
But I still use 16-bit WordPerfect 5.1 [frequently] on Windows 8/10 64-bit through a DOS Box modified program, so these things can be done...

I just looked and it shows it has support all the way back to Win95. ymmv

Z
Really?

I thought they didn't have support back past Windows 7? I remembered hearing there was no support for XP-based programs/applications (or older).

Last edited:
This is incorrect.
If things work under Windows 8.1 - they work under Windows 10 as a general rule.
Compatibility TAB is identical.

Really?

I thought they didn't have support back past Windows 7? I remembered hearing there was no support for XP programs/applications.

There is no MS support for the older OS's. What this thread is about is whether a program can run under said OS. In this case Windows 10. And Windows 10 will run programs in compatibility mode as far back as Win95. Also as c627627 noted you can use a DOS box to run 16-bit programs. I think there may have been some confusion.

Z

There is no MS support for the older OS's. What this thread is about is whether a program can run under said OS. In this case Windows 10.

Z
I know, that was what I was talking about as well, I wasn't confused at all.

Back