• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy Crap, 20 core 40 thread E5 2698 v4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...cacadcee1:g:iLsAAOSwxehXPZos&autorefresh=true

I know they are engineering samples but holy crap, why does this seller in Hong Kong have so many? and for $550?

Why doesn't intel crack down on this, selling ES chips is illegal isnt it? The processor fricken retails for $2,800...

Someone could have a really epic video editing rig on the cheap.

Things I wished I would have noticed when I was building my rig, you know, have 80 threads for reasons. 3.6 turbo is not bad...

It violates somebody's agreement with Intel but I don't know that it triggers any criminality. I would think the serial numbers would tell Intel where they came from, though. Unless they're Chinese counterfeit chips, or bad chips from a trash bin. Between it being ebay and China all manner of bad possibilities come to mind. LOL

listing was pulled

I havnt seen any fake chips around except those display box samples, also possible they could have been stolen from a factory.

? It's still up...

I wonder why there are no Engineering sample GPUs?

There are ES gpus, I had one years ago that was a gtx 280. You just don't see them quite as often in the wild.

well a dual v3 board with two of those :O

would be the cheapest 40 actual core system i can figure out to put together. even a small oc of 400mhz-1ghz per could over all in a multi thread app, i wonder how you would figure the TDP though.

listing was pulled

I havnt seen any fake chips around except those display box samples, also possible they could have been stolen from a factory.

I'd be surprised if they're stolen, legit 2698s. Listing shows 62 sold with more than 10 remaining. Don't know of Intel's security but that's a lot of spice to just grow legs.

I was wondering, I looked for rules previous to posting this and did not find any on the subject, but is selling ES parts allowed on this forum (in the classified section obviously?)

If not, is it frowned upon?

Not that I have any, or would want to buy/sell any, I'm just wondering.

Further,

There are ES gpus, I had one years ago that was a gtx 280. You just don't see them quite as often in the wild.

I know people want ES CPUs because some of them have unlocked multipliers (where in retail they would not, like Xeons)

Do ES GPUs have any such appeal? I mean isnt every GPU's core clock unlocked these days? Can you overclock Quadros or FirePros or Teslas?

Thus, if you had an ES Tesla you could break some records...

I'd be surprised if they're stolen, legit 2698s. Listing shows 62 sold with more than 10 remaining. Don't know of Intel's security but that's a lot of spice to just grow legs.

Chinese counterfeit CPUs?

I mean they do counterfeit Versace apparel and Hermes handbags and other assorted luxury goods, pretty fascinating stuff really.

Pirating actual physical objects. How bizarre.

I have an old Intel QX9650 ES that is supposed to have an unlocked everything. It may be in storage somewhere. It came from a guy who worked for Intel and had it in his personal rig. When the mobo died he gave it to me. I wouldn't imagine listing it here would be allowed. Technically it still belongs to Intel.

Regular chips, just "relabeled".

I mean they do counterfeit Versace apparel and Hermes handbags and other assorted luxury goods, pretty fascinating stuff really.

Regular chips, just "relabeled".

That actually got me thinking. Is it possible to spoof CPUID info? Any way to make a lower end Xeon "appear" to have 20 cores/40 threads to the rest of the system? Or did they just toss new labels on a lower end chip?

I was wondering, I looked for rules previous to posting this and did not find any on the subject, but is selling ES parts allowed on this forum (in the classified section obviously?)

If not, is it frowned upon?

Not that I have any, or would want to buy/sell any, I'm just wondering.

Further,

I know people want ES CPUs because some of them have unlocked multipliers (where in retail they would not, like Xeons)

Do ES GPUs have any such appeal? I mean isnt every GPU's core clock unlocked these days? Can you overclock Quadros or FirePros or Teslas?

Thus, if you had an ES Tesla you could break some records...

For the most part an ES GPU isn't that desirable. Generally, if anything, they are lacking features etc of the finished products. I only got it for benching and then sold it shortly thereafter for cheap.

Engineering Sample sales is a gray-market area, occasionally one 'Extra Spicy' chip may go up for sale, but generally they are several generations old thus not about to bring in a lot of attention as opposed to if it was a 5960x ES, etc.

I got an ES not quite E5-2583v3 for not a lot and still love it. For less than the cost of a 6600k I got 14 cores which turbo at 2.3 GHz when they're all active. This is lower than the retail version's 2.5 GHz but still this is a lot of power when you throw threads at it. If only X99 mobos were cheaper... I think ES v3 is the sweet spot as they're not too old but are still very affordable.

i have gotten one or two from Ebay and from china only. not sure how its possible they seem to have so many but we also need to keep this in mind. all motherboards i have seen are made in china, so if they are working out bugs. it would make sense there are a lot of ES's coming out of there, maybe someone has a connection with someone at one of the factories. most if not all OEM's seem to use Foxconn which has a pretty big factory out there from the stories i have read.

it would be far to costly to make fake ES cpus that work not only that but how would they. they would need the die machines then another place to have the dies washed then mounted to the cpu pcb. all this would be more costly then it would be worth doing to try to make a few quick bucks. making fake boxes to look like real product is far easier and so is making fake to-220 package ic's.

I don't think they are counterfeit or anything like that. Simply Engineering samples not fit for retail sale. Maybe sold to OEMs for some kind of testing. I've seen a pair in action (asus Z10PE-WS-D8, 128 GB RDIMM), they work well, but slower than retail. I was bit surprised with the temperature, I always imagined Xeons to run cool. I don't know is that because of underestimated cooling or because they are ES. Anyway, they work 4/7 machine loaded with SAS and High Class graphic cards, so apparently failures would already be visible in such heavy loaded system. Regarding Life span; who knows, they are ESs after all.

Mid to higher Xeons are intended to go into controlled server environments so everything is worked out to be stable in that condition. There is no getting around the laws of physics, and they trade off lower voltages and clocks to increase the number of cores. More throughput at higher cost in a given thermal budget.

Back