• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pwm control motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merecol

Registered
Hi guys.I'm am going to build a pc and I have some questions relative to pwm and fans.How many pwm connectors does a motherboard have?How many fans a pwm can support?Can I control different type of fans with a single pwm connector or I have to connect equal fans?

well it depends on the MB. most i run across just have the one pwm header for the CPU fan and maybe one more. but most of the 4 pin headers i see on mb's are not PWM. the fan speed is just controlled by voltage like a 3 pin header. i dont know why the make these "fake pwm" 4 pin headers. probably so they can say they have so many 4 pin headers :shrug:

i've only ever plugged in 2 fans to the CPU pwm header using a splitter. i wouldn't go with more than that unless you get a PWM fan controller. the splitter will just use one fan's rpms and control both fans at the same speed.

in the end i would just make sure the mobo has as many fan headers as you need for the amount of fans you want to control, 3 or 4 pin. remembering you can usually run at least 2 fans off each.

Back