• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extending Wi-Fi Range Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LB130385

Hi there,

I need to extend the wi-fi signal from the house to a separate building, which is about 20m away.

Initially I was using a Netgear Powerlink AV500, which worked okay, until the router was changed (to BT Homehub 4.0) and stopped working completely (hours spent with tech support etc. to no avail).

I then got a Netgear EX6200, which worked (though less effectively), for about 6 months, then stopped (more hours with tech support to no avail).

I am wondering what is the best solution? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Have you looked in to hardwiring a wireless access point to your router?

Sounds like you are stuck with the Homehub which is not great. I would look into this company, or someone similar: http://www.ampedwireless.com/family/proseries.html. Prices aren't bad either. If you can't dig a trench and if the electrical is on separate lines, the indoor/outdoor line of sight eqpt. is your only choice, providing it plays well with BT.

Do both buildings share a common cable TV connection point?

If so, you should be able to run MoCA 2.0 adapters to push the Ethernet signal over the Coax.

You might have to change out a few splitters, but they are cheap.

Basically, you connect 1 MoCA 2.0 adapter into your main router/switch...and then you can add a second router/switch to the other end. The cable line will act like a "high speed trunk" between the two. You can also plug directly into the Ethernet port on the second MoCA 2.0 adapter (i.e. the second router/switch it not required.)

Couldn't you just pick up a cheap wireless router with a repeater function and use it as a signal repeater?
That's what I did to get the wifi stronger in my detached garage.

Back