• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is bluetooth still a threat to pc's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I am looking at getting new computer speakers and some are bluetooth with remotes. I was always told to not use bluettoth due to security issues. Is this still the truth or should I be safe?

Never heard of that personally...not something i would worry about.

Personally, I avoid Bluetooth and wireless whenever I can.

Excerpt from the Wired article I read on BT last night
"...But unlike standard Bluetooth chips, the Norwegian firm’s cheap, low-power shortrange radio communications chips require that vendors write their own firmware to implement that encryption and secure the connection between computers and peripheral devices. The result, Bastille’s researchers say, is that many of the affected companies failed to take advantage of Nordic’s encryption option, allowing the dongles that receive those communications to accept keystrokes from another device using the same radio protocol. Most of the vulnerable keyboards did encrypt their communications, the researchers say, but didn’t properly authenticate communicating devices; they would still allow another rogue device to inject unencrypted keystrokes over the same connection. “It’s like having an expensive deadbolt and leaving it unlocked,”"

(Source: https://www.wired.com/2016/02/flaws-in-wireless-mice-and-keyboards-let-hackers-type-on-your-pc/)

Here's an Excerpt from SANS regarding Bluetooth:

Bluetooth Attacks
...With increased prevalence in adoption and use comes increased scrutiny from attackers, who have uncovered significant security vulnerabilities in Bluetooth technology. Attacks including unauthorized access, information disclosure, remote eavesdropping, device manipulation and full host compromise are all possible against Bluetooth technology in use today. Due to the ad-hoc and decentralized nature of Bluetooth technology, administrators are often unaware of the amount of Bluetooth technology in use, and their exposure to Bluetooth attacks. While many organizations disregard Bluetooth threats, thinking the technology is limited to short-range communication, the reality is that tests have shown it is possible for an attacker to communicate to a short-range Bluetooth device from over a mile away!

(Source: http://www.sans.edu/research/security-laboratory/article/wireless-security-1)

Back