• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10 the last Windows version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What they are talking about is a fee. Monthly, whatever. A recurring fee.
You pay for Windows for ever, it constantly changes and evolves, just like Windows 10, only you pay for it monthly and not up front with a single price.

That is coming. But we have (at least) ten years of using Windows without a recurring fee.
And some people on this forum and elsewhere are using that vision of the future to scare people today into thinking their licenses will be invalidated when that time comes.
Whereas their licenses are actually valid for about ten more years. Not more than that, but until late 2025 at least.

What use is Windows offline? Computing IS the Internet these days. The days are long gone when all people use their computers for is word processing. Even gaming has largely evolved to be an online activity. I don't think the few exceptions to what I'm saying will change any kind of subscription-based marketing plan by Microsoft. But I'm not so sure about the subscription thing. Apple has for some time now given their OS away free. Of course, you have to pay three times as much for one of their computers as you would for a Windows-based machine in order to get the OS X base to start with. Is Apple also moving toward a subscription model?

Apple's (fictitious) server OS did not turn into a subscription. I bet if that (fictitious) server OS did go to subscription, people would be talking about their consumer OS doing the same. This was precipitated by those actions, not by the symptoms people are using to support that assertion. :)

Didn't quite follow that. What actions? Things that didn't happen with the server OS X or did?

Perhaps he is also referring to the ongoing problem of people using the recent Windows Enterprise subscription model to spread false rumors about how the subscription model for current Windows 10 consumer license owners is imminent.

In other words just because Enterprise is subscription that doesn't mean current Windows 10 consumer will switch to it just like that...

If Apple had enterprise subscription then maybe Macheads would be spreading false rumors consumer macs will be hit with subscription.

Thought the only interesting thing about Enterprise was the fact that it was shipped without Cortana/Edge/feature updates, or am i thinking about LTSB ? Going to end up with the Home version this time, less useless crap pre-installed...

I know right ? doesn't seem to even offer the usual changes to the desktop or anything.

I went with the Pro version because Windows Pro versions traditionally offer more control over the OS. Not so much anymore.
In Win10 Pro, you can turn off automatic updates so that the only way they install is if you visit the Windows Update page so that if you never visit the Windows Update page, they won't be automatically installed.

That specific option is not available in Win10 Home.

Group policy management gpedit.msc is also only available on Windows 10 Pro.

I would say those two very much qualify as "more control".

Okay, I'm stepping out on a limb here but I think Microsoft is going to start a totally new OS platform line not called "Windows." Maybe "Doors" or "Gates" or "Portal" or something like that within the next 5 years. It will be a computing renaissance. It will require new hardware and computer sales will skyrocket. Software application producers will now be able to sell apps again because the new platform will create need for it.

Portable devices are waiting for Intel to come out with an ARM-killing chip.
Portable devices are waiting for Microsoft to come out with an Android-killing operating system.

It is the second half of 2016, and frankly I struggle to find rational explanations as to why that hasn't happened yet...

In Win10 Pro, you can turn off automatic updates so that the only way they install is if you visit the Windows Update page so that if you never visit the Windows Update page, they won't be automatically installed.

That specific option is not available in Win10 Home.

Group policy management gpedit.msc is also only available on Windows 10 Pro.

I would say those two very much qualify as "more control".

All true, except the update "control" doesn't seem to take directions well. LOL I haven't gone in to Group Policy because I'm somewhat fearful of screwing things up. Speaking of screwed up things-I downloaded Acronis from WD and it won't install because it claims I don't have any WD drives. Excepy I have a 4 TB WD Blue I'm using for storage. Anybody know what's up with that?

Okay, I'm stepping out on a limb here but I think Microsoft is going to start a totally new OS platform line not called "Windows." Maybe "Doors" or "Gates" or "Portal" or something like that within the next 5 years. It will be a computing renaissance. It will require new hardware and computer sales will skyrocket. Software application producers will now be able to sell apps again because the new platform will create need for it.

I vote for Gates :thup:

* Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered: Notify to schedule restart.
Choose how updates are delivered [in blue, below] > Updates from more than one place > OFF

It may be other programs of course.
But Windows 10 is stealing your bandwidth BY DEFAULT - yes.

Luckily you can turn it off by doing what I just told you.
As bad as things are, if only Microsoft let us turn other things off like that...

I did that. And less than twelve hours later it notified me by restarting in the middle of a 30 GB download. Updates from more than one place was turned off when I installed the OS.

I vote for Gates too, after "Bill" of course.

I'd vote for Gates McFadden for Queen of the Universe before I'd elect Bill Gates dogcatcher at this point.

Back