• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10 the last Windows version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well sometimes we have people post who think theirs is a magic box or a possessed box that behaves differently, but 10/10 times, it is user error that is to blame.
When you couple your emotional hatred for all things Microsoft, then it gets hard to help but here's the deal.

If you do this, you would not have that problem:

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

I do not know whether this setting is reset by installing a new major Windows 10 build, which would require it to be re-entered, if that is the case.
But this procedure effectively resolves your problem 100%, on every Windows 10 Pro machine.
Updates will not be installed unless and until you visit the Windows Update page.
The act of you visiting that page will trigger an automatic update install, so if you don't want update installation to commence, simply refrain from visiting Windows Updates and that registry entry will protect you at all other times.

I'll try it. I don't hate all things M$. I love W 7. I'm not completely lost when looking for and finding settings in a Windows environment. I've been through XP, Vista, 7, 8 Developer's Preview, and 10 as a Window's Insider. I posted screenshots of the settings, and when W 10 updates (without notification of any kind before or during) it restarts regardless of those settings. I don't think it's possessed or magic, I think it's flawed software. Whether or not it is intentionally obtuse is for another discussion, but it is indeed obtuse about my clearly stated preferences. I'll give the GP editor a whirl and hope that fixes the issue. My biggest complaint isn't the updates, it's the refusal to allow me to schedule restarts.

Do like me, turn off lan cable while installing Win10, use O&O ShutUp10 to block everything, re-attach the cable and then use WinUpdate MiniTool to do all the needed updates. Never had any issues with settings or reminders after that :)

Well sometimes we have people post who think theirs is a magic box or a possessed box that behaves differently, but 10/10 times, it is user error that is to blame.
When you couple your emotional hatred for all things Microsoft, then it gets hard to help but here's the deal.

If you do this, you would not have that problem:

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

I do not know whether this setting is reset by installing a new major Windows 10 build, which would require it to be re-entered, if that is the case.
But this procedure effectively resolves your problem 100%, on every Windows 10 Pro machine.
Updates will not be installed unless and until you visit the Windows Update page.
The act of you visiting that page will trigger an automatic update install, so if you don't want update installation to commence, simply refrain from visiting Windows Updates and that registry entry will protect you at all other times.

99% people use windows default settings how is it there and my fault.:shrug:

We have established that he strongly dislikes Windows 10.
We should focus on resolving his specific issues with Windows 10, because he has been directly told how to address this specific problem, yet he used the words '"I'll try it" - future tense - meaning he has not yet, meaning he continuously posts about the same problem 'magically' not being resolved and he has not implemented the fix even once.

Alaric, no, Microsoft does not want you to easily disable automatic updates in Windows 10.
I believe in one of my previous posts to you there was something about a brand new feature that is coming about 10 days from now to further address the restart issue.

Windows 10 is *not* for permanent modifying because it *will* reset many registry modifications withe every major new Windows 10 build.

"I'll try it" means as soon as I have time I will try it. I'm doing about 10 different things at the moment. I have changed the the obvious settings back several times to no avail. I will use the GP editor at some point today. Having to stop all updates to prevent it from restarting willy nilly is pretty drastic, and that is my biggest gripe with W 10. I went out and paid for this OS. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have an interest in working with it.

Ive already given you a way around it, read my last post. Nothing will be changed back because you won't visit the Windows update page or use the program. Unless they send an update specifically to counter these 2 programs OR the setting to change comes with every single update you're sorted for a while.

I don't want to give up the updates, just the unscheduled restarts. I'll go back through the posts shortly. There has been a lot of info put up and it bears a little more thoughtful study.

Back