• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis 3 not using 2nd GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

According to http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-review,26.html

I should be getting ~40 FPS in 4k on Crysis 3 with my 295x2.

I'm getting 15 because it refuses to use the 2nd GPU (sits at 0% usage, while gpu 1 is at 100%)

It works just fine in every other game, AVP uses both (100 fps) skyrim, etc.

But not the game that really needs it, Crysis 3.

Using Crimson 16.7.2.

Got any ideas? I've googled but nobody has any answers.

It looks like the same issue you have with firestrike.

Is crossfire enabled in Catalyst Control Center, or whatever it's called now (AMD settings I believe...)?

I think it is, although I can't find any actual setting for it, but at the top there is AMD Radeon 200 series (Primary) and AMD Radeon 200 series (Linked)

I actually perefered Craptalist Control Center to this current softwares -_-

^yes, I am with you on this one... IIRC, you have a "more setting" or something like that on the main interface, and it let you access the same settings as CCC. Let mecheck on my HTPC (has a 7970).

Global settings shows the same thing as my screenshot.

Every other game also shows the same thing, no crossfire profile anything.

There is something weird.

You should try uninstalling the driver with DDU, and try a Catalyst version (15.x IIRC), see if it makes difference.

Did that, still only uses 1. What the hell... sigh. Spending more time stroking AMD drivers than I'd like -_-

Alright so I was worried that my card was defective or something because I could not get the 2nd GPU's usage up. Updated MSI Afterburner, because mine was old (4.2), disabled ULPS (power saving "feature")

Now my firestrike is actually above other R9 295X2s with no overclocking, lol.

oN463n8.png

However, Crysis 3 STILL does not use the 2nd GPU.

It has to be the game.

I have no idea what was up with my other FireStrike scores you've seen, the other GPU refused to activate for some reason then.

EDIT:

So, I fixed it.

Do you want to know how I fixed it?

Alt tabbing in game, and then tabbing back in.

Yeah.

Very strange but apparently has something to do with the Origin overlay, lots of people have been having this problem with Origin games, FIFA, Crysis, etc. That's why my non Origin Crysis 2 worked flawlessly.

It did not even cross my mind. Sigh. Sorry AMD! Not your fault this time! It's good old EA...

Last edited:
one think i hate the most is playing an EA game on steam then having to run orgin to just play the game.... like really, couldnt just let my steam account be enough to play the game.

glad you got it sorted but yea it could be something with how the overlay is handled its messing with the drives.

Back