• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Phenom x4 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Safe voltage on Deneb is up to 1.45 on CPU-NB if you can keep the temps in check. I run 1.375.
Some processors just don't get to 2600 or better. Silicon lottery.

BSOD is better than black screen. It means you're moving in the right direction.

Yea I did up the CPU/NB voltage, not the NB voltage.

And in the BIOS I don't see CPU/NB or HT voltage readings, all I see are the options of what I can change them to.

http://prnt.sc/bwdudu
http://prnt.sc/bwduiv

If 2400 works on stock 1.175v (I'm assuming that's what it stays at.. but like I've been saying nowhere for me to read current).
Shouldn't 2600 work on an increase all the way up to 1.3v?

Could it be because I overclocked my DRAM from 1333 to 1600 without upping the DRAM voltage?

Last edited:
CPU-NB on auto will increase by itself as needed. You could wind up in a severe over voltage situation if not set manually.
Dram OC doesn't matter for NB frequency. The IMC on the CPU is what you're accelerating.

CPU-NB on auto will increase by itself as needed. You could wind up in a severe over voltage situation if not set manually.
Dram OC doesn't matter for NB frequency. The IMC on the CPU is what you're accelerating.
Would Auto also automatically increase the NB and HT voltages too? All I want is to get 2600, should I manually set NB and NB/CPU?

Would Auto also automatically increase the NB and HT voltages too? All I want is to get 2600, should I manually set NB and NB/CPU?

Yes. Auto does the same thing for all functions.
Realistically, all voltages should be set manually, but the one you are concerned with is the CPU/NB voltage. That is the one that feeds the IMC.

Try 1.35v, if that doesn't work try 1.4v

don't touch anything with the NB, set the cpu/nb voltage manually. the "NB" is on the board and is no concern to you.
yes the voltage on the other busses will increase if left in auto mode.

Another off-topic question

Does it make logical sense for my CPU to be 35-36c idle with the case off (or open), and 37-39 with it on (closed)? By case I mean the lid that slides on/off when you're about to work inside the tower.

I've also BSOD after reducing Vcore from 1.425 to 1.40 and PC restarted itself after increasing NB-CPU from 1.1 (well, it was on Auto) to 1.25. You say set everything manually but when I do that I get errors/complications while running Prime95.

Last edited:
Sorry to raise the point again, but with 36/38c idling, I believe it is hard to stay below 55c, which cause instability.

If you don't lower the temperature below 55c, you won't be able to find the cause of instability, as the cause can be the temperature itself...

My 2 cents...

Sorry to raise the point again, but with 36/38c idling, I believe it is hard to stay below 55c, which cause instability.

If you don't lower the temperature below 55c, you won't be able to find the cause of instability, as the cause can be the temperature itself...

My 2 cents...

Since reading this I've... removed my thermal paste (it was on there since I bought the PC in 2011..).
However after realizing I had no thermal paste to replace it.. I had to order so I went with Arctic Silver 5.
24 hours after, zero difference, still peak @ 57-58c in Prime85 (just like with the old thermal). I barely increased in temperatures WITHOUT any thermal too (after I cleaned it off and ran PC), which I found odd.

Are these sort of behaviors typical for 955's?

Back