• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Phenom x4 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^this. My 955 was doing 4.1GHz/1.55v but needed to stay below 53c.

I was not able to achieve more than 3.9GHz when going over this threshold temperature

the one thing I see is you are running hot, 55c max please, I'll look into this later.

Online says 62c max allowed by my CPU. Believe it or not I used to run idle 60 and max 70-75 before I cleaned out my PC/Fan (didn't do so for 6 years lol!).

62c is the safe temp.

55c is when it starts loosing stability in the3.9+GHz range...

Oh, interesting. Keep in mind I'm on air (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler)

But what's interesting is I get the same temps with both the 220 BUS config and the 200 bus config. Shouldn't that indicate the issue is something not temperature related?

Been there, done that... Believe us, it is! ;)

Don't use the FSB, you'll tweak it when you are comfortable with all the settings. Use the multi and crank the 212 fan to 100%.

I just had to bring mine out, I do love the Deneb chips, this is how this one runs all the time, it's a pretty poor chip as it tends to run rather hot, well, not so much when compared to fx.

untitled.PNG

and if you want to be impressed with your chip, drag it out on the patio in the winter, below freezing is the place to be!!! some big clocks if you keep the voltage below 1.64.
OH, and earthdog will like this post.

Last edited:
I just had to bring mine out, I do love the Deneb chips, this is how this one runs all the time, it's a pretty poor chip as it tends to run rather hot, well, not so much when compared to fx.

View attachment 181418
Did you not overclock DRAM at all? You prefer 1333 to 1600? Only differences I see are you use 2T i have 1T, according to google 1T is superior? Your temps 5c lower than mine though, maybe I'll try lowering my CPU voltage down from 1.425. Do you know anything about adjusting the timings? Right now I'm using 9-9-9-24, could I try 8-8-8-24? Or does it require anything specific?

why should I mess with ram?
the only place that ram does anything for you is benchmarks, in almost anything you do the only things that matter with ram are, you have enough and that you have it running in dual channel or what ever yours should run in.
because of this I never bother to touch the ram, I set it manually to the default settings and never bother with it again.
with Deneb chips the only other thing that gives us anything is getting the cpu/nb up to 3000, I use 2600 because about any Deneb can reach it and keep below 1.35 cpu/nb voltage
but when I switch off the internet and bench for grins and giggles all that may or may not apply.

and if you feel you want to try tighter timings have at.
raise the ram voltage to 1.6, tighten the 9-9-9 spots, from bottom to top, from 9 to 8, bench it, if it passes, tighten again, till it fails, then set it back to 9 and start on the next one up, same thing.
then the first one, same way, the top one is the one that will give you the most so if you can get it to 7 that's better.

and if you really want to learn to bench, in the fall go here>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/247-The-Overclocktagon <<<<<
it's open to everyone, don't worry about your posted scores, all the big guys on our team are there to help and guide you and teach you what you want to know.
I pop in here and there and post all stock with no magic, I'm the turtle and a new persons first target, I have even brought out my mighty and much feared 5450 a time or two.

Last edited:
I forgot a few words on ram, nb, ht and other buss clocking.
getting these busses wrong can and will, corrupt your operating system, corrupt your bios , breaking your rig causing you to spend more money, cause you grey hair, cause you baldness by pulling your hair out, cause you to enjoy a super glue bikini wax, so if you do not enjoy great pain, do what I do, just leave those things alone till you learn to salvage a fully inoperative rig or have the money to replace your rig weekly.
those of us that bench use a second rig setup for it, we have a stack of ssd's with our benching operating system imaged on them for very good reason, it's going to happen!!!!!

@ caddi daddi

Speaking of voltages, I've kept everything at their default/auto so far. Is this bad or does it not matter if my computer boots up and it works? Remember I've changed CPU/NB 2000>2400, HT Speed 2000>2400, Multiplier 16x to 19. DRAM Timing 9-9-9-24 to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM Freq from 1333 to 1666. I've only customized my CPU voltage from whatever the default was (some say 1.375 or 1.4) to 1.425, all other voltages unchanged.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a helluva overclock, something I'd be scared to even try. I'm assuming you have superb cooling? Also, like I said i'm new to this but one thing I'm starting to learn is that higher NB freq is ideal than HT. I'm 2400/2400 right now and you're 2768/2076. Should I also try something like this, say 2600-2200?

Also, I'm assuming you overclocked your DRAM freq from 800(1600) to 922.9(1844) or did you start at 666(1333)? In other words is yours a 1333 or a 1600.

It is 1600 speed ram.
The overclock is on high end water cooling.
2600 NB is not unreasonable even for you. You may have to bump the CPU/NB voltage just a little, you may not.
There is no benefit in HT overclock. You gain nothing from it but a chance of instability. Keep it as close to 2000 as you can.

Went immediately into BIOS and changed NB from 2400 to 2600 and HT from 2400 to 2000, rebooted and PC came on but nothing loaded (dark screen). What does this mean? Not enough voltage?
Also every time this happens, is there a way other then to reset my CMOS (taking pins from 1-2 to 2-3 and back to 1-2 etc.) resetting my BIOS entirely.

EDIT: Noob question alert:

When I'm adjusting voltages, what do I want, the lowest possible before I can't boot?

I.E: If PC boots at CPU voltage at 1.425 but won't for 1.41, do I want the lowest possible that works (1.425) or go higher?

Last edited:
To restart, you can try holding down the insert key while powering up. This works on some boards.
For 2600 NB you will have to add a little CPU/NB voltage it seems. Set it manually. 1.3v is fine.

with the denebs all that matters is that we have enough voltage on the busses that the thing remains stable in the hardest of workloads while maintaining the lowest temps we can.
the voltage it's going to take to do that is just what that cpu takes, yes, we want our voltages as low as we can keep them but we need to have a little excess so we have enough so that when the load hits we don't sag low enough to get unstable.
I bench and game under windows and work under Linux, I clock and then stress my work machine under windows and add a click or two to the voltage of each bus then put in the Linux drive and I don't seem to have issues that way. if I crash during a game or a bench, big flipping deal, I'm out a little time, crash the work rig and that can cost me some money.

What program do you recommend to check current voltages? my stock voltages are supposed to be:
"Stock Voltages:

CPU Voltage ˜ 1.35 V
CPU-NB Voltage = 1.175 V
HTT Voltage = 1.2 V
SB Voltage = 1.26 V
NB Voltage = 1.1 V
CPU VDD = 2.5 V"

but I don't see these voltages in HWMonitor, some missing and some other voltages appearing that I don't know..

http://prnt.sc/bwd0u5

What program do you recommend to check current voltages? my stock voltages are supposed to be:
"Stock Voltages:

CPU Voltage ˜ 1.35 V
CPU-NB Voltage = 1.175 V
HTT Voltage = 1.2 V
SB Voltage = 1.26 V
NB Voltage = 1.1 V
CPU VDD = 2.5 V"

but I don't see these voltages in HWMonitor, some missing and some other voltages appearing that I don't know..

http://prnt.sc/bwd0u5

Use the voltage reading in the bios. It is the closest, short of checking with a DMM. Software sucks for voltage reading.

from the cupid website I use cpu-z and hardware monitor or you can use the software from your motherboards manufacturers site but , take the numbers with a grain of salt, use them to see where you need to be going, not as gospel truth.

2600 NB @ 1.3 volts like you suggested ran for 7 mins in Prim95 before I got BSOD.

Also, BIOS should the same readings as in CPU-Z, is there nowhere to check NB and HT voltages etc.?

Is there a difference from BSOD and black screen? (I'll also google as I await a reply)

try up to, but not over 1.35 on the cpu/nb, not nb.
only in the bios can I see cpu/nb or ht voltage.

Back