• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock X99 OC Formula debug led code 19/b0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe88

So just acquired an x99 oc formula though unfortunately when I insert my ram (in sig) into slot A1 & B1 per the instructions, it results in error code 19 which sometimes flashes to code b0 (rarely).

I found this with similar issues/same problem, were solved with bios update
http://www.computerforum.com/threads/ram-issue-on-new-build-will-not-boot.237669/
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1704&title=x99-extreme-6-code-b0-or-60

I tried all other slots, and using a single stick and swapping them and always get error 19.
With no ram inserted I get error code 19.

Tried switching between bios chips, reset cmos and still the same thing. This ram was working fine before the gigabyte broke though I can't test it as I have no other ddr4 boards/hardware around.

Now I can't upgrade bios to latest version as it won't post with those errors, so I just get something like this to get the board to boot (hopefully)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148856

All I know is one bios chip has the first broadwell-e bios update, and the other has an older bios with only haswell-e support.

Last edited:
Why not just get whatever RAM was Earthdog using in the board? At least you can be sure it will be compatible.

First slots are A1 / C1. Always start from these farther from CPU on this platform. Every board has the same rules. So single channel = A1, dual =A1+C1 then quad = A1+C1+B1+D1.
I had no issues with memory compatibility on any X99 motherboard and I doubt it's the case.

First slots are A1 / C1. Always start from these farther from CPU on this platform. Every board has the same rules. So single channel = A1, dual =A1+C1 then quad = A1+C1+B1+D1.
I had no issues with memory compatibility on any X99 motherboard and I doubt it's the case.

Just to give a more complete story, he's replacing a Gigabyte X99 UD3P that was BSOD'ing and having posting errors. And this board was bought from Earthdog and was working.

Why not just get whatever RAM was Earthdog using in the board? At least you can be sure it will be compatible.
Or anything off the compatibility list, really (just to be 100% instead of 99% sure, LOL!). I wish I would have thought to mention my sticks as I do not really have a purpose for them at the moment.

These: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...R86193&cm_re=DDR4_3000-_-20-104-528-_-Product

Just to give a more complete story, he's replacing a Gigabyte X99 UD3P that was BSOD'ing and having posting errors. And this board was bought from Earthdog and was working.
Yep.. has been my daily driver, until I took it down and shipped it off.

Might be just the 8GB sticks it doesnt like since the 4GB sticks were working fine.
On the gigabyte board you place the ram closest to the cpu socket on each side first rather than farthest away.

Since I was using 4 4GB sticks on my Gigabyte X99 UD3P I never had to think about that. I figured since it's a quad-channel chipset, I'd go with 4 sticks.

Might be just the 8GB sticks it doesnt like since the 4GB sticks were working fine.
I would be shocked if that was the issue honestly. It supports up to 128GB so... it has to accept 16GB sticks to accomplish that.

Sell em, go quad. :)

After looking at available bios, the one for broadwelle is 3.0. One setting has that. That is past the 'memory update' you are seeing. The other has something older, but not sure which.

I thought memory was memory, with XMP off it should all be the same. Maybe the reason your gigabyte board did not post is because the memory you have is bad.

I don't think so because even with the memory removed it should have beeped a few times because of no memory inserted, instead it just bootlooped or just sat on a black screen with nothing happening, I did get it to boot a few times into windows, the bios is just completely corrupted now from what I can tell because even the low level flashing q-flash doesnt work anymore.

If you check the 2 links in the op, same problem/error codes because of incompatible memory, and it just so happens I have one of the few ram not supported by the board.

Think i'm gonna get the adata kit (which is supported) for right now, may get a second kit a little later but I think I never went over 7GB in the last 9 months or so since I had it

I'd get a set of 4 DIMMs, not 2 since the board is quad-channel and as a bonus you the new motherboard still has 4 empty DIMM slots for later expansion. Then you might see if the Gigabyte board works with your new memory. Whenever you replace a motherboard, and the replacement can't boot up using the old CPU and RAM, you have to at least entertain the thought that either the CPU or memory might be the problem.

I'd get a set of 4 DIMMs, not 2 since the board is quad-channel and as a bonus you the new motherboard still has 4 empty DIMM slots for later expansion. Then you might see if the Gigabyte board works with your new memory. Whenever you replace a motherboard, and the replacement can't boot up using the old CPU and RAM, you have to at least entertain the thought that either the CPU or memory might be the problem.

I purchased the adata kit which is listed as compatible on asrocks site for the board, will see if a bios update to latest ver allows the kingston kit to work again, if so then return the adata ram. If not then sell the kingston kit and get a second set of the adata kit.

I'm positive the cpu is fine as this board is stopping on the memory initialization so it passed cpu initialization already.

To comment on testing the gb board, im not gonna take apart the whole system again just to see if the gb board works with different ram.
I wouldnt really mind if the cpu hsf was easy to take off and on, which it is not. I have to remove the board from the case and use a 3/8 wrench to remove the screws. Its a really bad mounting system. The board will be sent in to rma in the next few months. The bios chips are bricked and even the q-flash function is broken which always worked before even with no ram inserted.

On the gigabyte board you place the ram closest to the cpu socket on each side first rather than farthest away.

First slots are not closer to the CPU - 1A/1C are first on UD3P. All X99 motherboards have the same design. Some are working if you place them closer to the CPU but it's wrong looking at channels/banks ( at least on 8 slot boards ). UD3P is 4 slot board while OCF is 8. It's not the same. On 4 slot boards it's like you had every 2nd slot available on 8 slot board.
On my ASRock X99M Killer all memory kits are working and I have no issues with 4, 8 and 16GB modules. All motherboards have the same base BIOS just modified additional support for controllers etc. I doubt that ASRock made totally different BIOS for only 1 board ( I'm not saying about additional OC options ).

Almost all available memory kits are based on maybe 4-5 IC. All Hynix and Samsung IC are supported by ASRock. All Kingston kits are based on Hynix IC ( there are only MFR and AFR series ). So it's or broken RAM or motherboard. I highly doubt it's memory compatibility, especially that all kits start at SPD profile so have about the same settings compatible with JEDEC specs.

When you get 19 error then it didn't even start to check memory. Memory issues are 2x/3x/5x. Looks like board has problems to see CPU or something like that.

The board, at least the new one, the OC Forumula I sent him, had a 5820K in it before it was boxed up and shipped. I did forget to reset my overclock, but, that was 4.2 GHz, with XMP on at DDR4 3K... he reset the CMOS as well so that was wiped presumably. The board is fine. At least it was when it left here and was packed quite well. So I highly doubt its the OC Formula is the issue here.

The manual, ironically, doesn't show where to put a single or dual sticks... just 4 and 8...

According to asrock http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334
01-54, 5A-60, are all ram problems, b0/b7 is also a ram error
FF, 00 are cpu errors

There is a few links I posted in the op with the same error codes 19/b0 that were fixed with different ram and a bios update, the only problem is this ram is one of the only kits not on the support list so have no idea if it will work even with the latest bios, its possible they never added the microcode to support those sticks maybe because they were newer sticks or something.

On the gigabyte board on page 16 of the manual, the slots are labled as such left to right
1A 2B (cpuskt) 4D 3C
It says for 2 sticks to populate slots 2B and 4D first
If only 1 stick, it goes in 2B

On the asrock board on page 17 of the manual, the slots are
A1 A2 B1 B2 (cpuskt) D2 D1 C2 C1
It says to populate slots A1, B1, C1, D1 in priority order, then do the same with A2, B2, C2, D2
So if you have a single stick you populate slot A1, 2 sticks go in A1 B1, the manual even mentions triple channel mode so slots A1, B1, C1 would be populated

Back