• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Motherboards Quality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haider

Hi,

I have heard a few complaints about Asus motherboards. I always thought they were top of the tree. I recently purchases a Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula (X79/2011), so I'm wondering whether I should have bought MSI or something else?

Thanks
Haider

Quality is good (I've heard, lol), after sales/technical support sucks big time...

Got a z68 pro and a Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 where the 24 ATX burnt due to powewr draw with 290x's technical support said it was user related!!!

Never bought from them again... ANd won't!

Never had any problems over the years i had Asus Mobo's and did get through 1 or 2 its like ED said, Customer service some what lacking!

Ajay.

I had great experience with Asus' customer service. The OP is in better than average shape there with a ROG board. The customer service (anecdotally, at least) seems to improve as you move up the product line. I have several Asus boards and all have been good boards.

I've only had one issue with an Asus board and while it may seem like the customer service was lacking, they stayed with it until I had a working board.

To clarify:
Got a CHV board brandnew and within 3 weeks it was throwing a "USB out of range error".
Sought and got an RMA, no prob.
They sent another board in it's place but that one didn't work either - Had similar issues right from the start.
Made them aware of it and got it sent back for yet another board, even got them to pay the shipping with this one.
The board I got the second time around worked great and to this day still works as it should after being OC'ed heavily, including being frozen and all else you can think of. I was even running it after all that for awhile as a daily driver, no issues at all during this time.

I know even the best can have bad samples come out but in the end they made sure I had a working unit, that's really all I could have asked for in the first place. All else I've ever bought has been nothing but good including whats in the present DD build I'm running now, namely a CHV-Z board.

Can be POT LUCK Doc but on the whole never had a bad board touch wood here anyway!

Cheers nice to see you again Doc.

Ajay.

My only experience with a bad board occurred 6 months before the warranty expired. It wasn't a high end board (M4A785-M), and a PCIe slot died. A couple emails for proof of purchase and serial number later I got an RMA and prepaid UPS label in the mail. Two weeks later I got a new board in the mail. That was before I saw all the complaints about Asus' customer service, so I can't comment on the current state.

I only got bad experience with Asus, but I might lack luck:

- M5A99FX PRO R2.0: corrupted bios chip, RMA refused
- P8Z68-V Pro: 24pins ATX burnt, too much draw... RMA refused
- Sabertooth 990FX R2.0: same as above, RMA refused

The only Asus Board I got no problem with is the entry level (maybe their cheapest board) A55BM-Plus, and I treated her like a wh0re!

I mostly buy ASUS boards. Only have had 2 die on me A8V deluxe RMA'd and then recently my M3N HT deluxe but that one seen 5 years of daily service and died on the bench table. Oh yeah a crosshair3 that I killed in my first DICE trial. For me the service has been fine until recently. Have a BIOS issue on a board and went through all the first tier tech crap. They referred it to tier 2 and it's just been nothing but crickets since. I e-mailed once again and got the same jargon but never a contact from tier 2 support

Thanks guys, I have pretty much always has Asus MB apart from a SiS and MSI board...

To add to my Asus cust. service tale, the board they replaced had been moved multiple times (in the trunk of a car), the PC had been knocked over by a rambunctious 75 lb. Chow, and had things thrown at it by a crazy (ex) wife, and dropped once while carrying it up the stairs. It didn't have an easy life. LOL. The new one is around 4 years old now and works like a champ. :)

To add to my Asus cust. service tale, the board they replaced had been moved multiple times (in the trunk of a car), the PC had been knocked over by a rambunctious 75 lb. Chow, and had things thrown at it by a crazy (ex) wife, and dropped once while carrying it up the stairs. It didn't have an easy life. LOL. The new one is around 4 years old now and works like a champ. :)

Holy sheet! Poor board.
I treat all my hardware like its my babies, But i have a favorite though, The 3DFX 3 3000AGP <3.

Yeah. It's going to get its original CPU (Phenom X4 9850) back and be the heart of a rig I'm going to donate to a neighbor who is running a 939 board with an old Athlon dual core. I'm going to get her a 120 GB SSD for it, too. It will be a rocket compared to what she is used to. Then I have to come up with something for my Phenom II 980 BE to reside in. First world problems. LOL.

Yeah. It's going to get its original CPU (Phenom X4 9850) back and be the heart of a rig I'm going to donate to a neighbor who is running a 939 board with an old Athlon dual core. I'm going to get her a 120 GB SSD for it, too. It will be a rocket compared to what she is used to. Then I have to come up with something for my Phenom II 980 BE to reside in. First world problems. LOL.

Maybe donate the phenom 2 to a chatiry? Or make it a testing bench for old stuff like i did ;)

ASUS ROG series has good support in general. All "standard" series not really. For example in situations when you damage CPU socket ( burned/bent pins etc ) then support ( usually ) will replace board or fix it without additional questions when it's ROG series. When it's standard series then in most cases RMA is rejected because of user's fault.
Also ROG boards have longer BIOS support. Standard boards have no new BIOS versions with any significant changes after about 3 months after release. ROG series have at least 6 months of improvements.

Never had any problems over the years i had Asus Mobo's and did get through 1 or 2 its like ED said, Customer service some what lacking!

Ajay.

Hi Ajay,

How are you doing? I see you got rid of you 7970 Vapor-X. It's funny I'm in the midst of building another, this one was a bit hasty pulled together: -
i7-4930K
Asus RROG Rampage IV Formula
16 GB Micron/Crucial Tactical VLP ram
Seasonic 850W MII Bronze
Define R5
Dual 7970s Vapor-X

Thinking of eBaying the 7970s getting a single Asus R390 Strix. It (R390/RX 480/R9 280X) doesn't have the grunt in single card form. I like the GTX 1070 but seems to go a bit limp in The Ashes DX12 around the 60-70 mark as opposed to 90-100 fps at 1080P. For £400 quid that's a bit shoddy. Could get two 390x Vapor-X for £500 or 290x for £400 which should get me close enough to 1070 perf in DX11 and looking to the future (DX12) not sure how well DX12 explicit multi adapter support will work with regard to scaling and being supported so a bit hesitant to go for dual cards...There again it does open up the opportunity to double up when a single R390/RX 480/R9 280X can't cut it @1080P...

I have a ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero and it seems to be pretty great quality being in the mid range/low high end of their ROG lineup. I heard that ROG support / customer service is separate and better than any mainstream board support from ASUS, which I would expect from a premium product like the ROG lineup. Haven't confirmed though.

With a 290x/390x crossfire, you'll be a bit above a single 1070/980 ti (10 to 15% faster), unless the game doesn't support xFire.
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/

The thing that is confusing me is DX12 and DX12 Multi GPU. With so few games out it's hard to make an assessment of whose hardware will leveraged better by the software houses - AMDs or nVidia. AMD is in the consoles so they have advantage there but most PC gamers buy nVidia but there again the PC market is worth a lot less than the consoles, so games will be designed to run on them and console developers will get hands on low-level experience with AMD hardware but there again some console softies sub-contract out the PC conversion. These guys will probably have more experience with nVidia. Will DX 12 explicit multi adapter tech scale better than crossfire and SLI? I have been told to expect 1.5 power from dual cross-fire? Will it (explicit multi adapter tech) be supported by the vast majority of games. Will nVidia be able to dominate the PC market as they have done with devs getting more hands on and games being developed for AMD hardware. A lot of things are developing in the background. I bought my 7950 Vapor-X £230/153USD overclocked it still playing games fine it's overclocked to a single 7970 stock. I was looking for a single card that will >60 fps. I was thinking if AMD drop GTX 1070 equivalent then there may be a price war:clap: I have a feeling AMD will be happy pricing cards around the nVidia mark. Asus RX 480 strix is £290 vs £320 GTX 1060 Strix. One has a smidgen more ram and the other is a smidgen faster. GTX 1070 Strix @ £550 is quite a bit more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back