• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The cause is the initial draw. The competition keeps me interested and drives me to make my effort efficient.

+1. This is exactly what I was going to write.

- - - Updated - - -

So...nobody uses the cpu to fold any longer...just gpu?

I have one CPU that I fold with. 6 core with HT and 3 GPU's. You want one thread of CPU per GPU. So on this particular machine, I have three 7970's and 9 CPU threads all folding.

- - - Updated - - -

OK...gone are the days when one would build a folder outta cast-offs/older gear.
So if someone wanted to give some folder an i5 3570/Z77 mobo/GTX 670 then all they'd really care about is the 670 (and that being iffy)?

They would be more interested in the CPU/MB but not for the actual folding but rather as a base to put their GPUs. I don't think that the 670 would produce much in the way of points.

Ultimately, I feel I fold for the cause more often than the competition. If I'm near a milestone or an overtake, my competitive side kicks in. Otherwise, the day to day is for the cause.

This is a change from when I started some 15 years ago. I started folding for hardware bragging rights! An Athlon Socket A 1.2 GHz overclocked to 1.4GHz. There's a trip down memory lane... Things sure have changed! (For the better.) :D

This is a change from when I started some 15 years ago. I started folding for hardware bragging rights! An Athlon Socket A 1.2 GHz overclocked to 1.4GHz. There's a trip down memory lane... Things sure have changed! (For the better.) :D

I remember when 386 DX ran at 16MHZ

220px-KL_Intel_i386DX.jpg

lots of changes since then :comp:

Ultimately, I feel I fold for the cause more often than the competition. If I'm near a milestone or an overtake, my competitive side kicks in. Otherwise, the day to day is for the cause.

I have one of those somewhere in a parts drawer....I must go look.

I can remember looking at the latest and greatest 486 computers and drooling with envy and wishing I only had the three kilobux they cost so I could make one my own.

I don't think that anyone answered the question about a folding farm. I have one. The late Equinox still has his running. Most of our top folders have a farm. Some farms have to be shut down in the summer months. Mine for example is only half running. The other half is waiting for colder weather.

Back