• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Every time I take my microSD card out of my phone and put it in my PC it's dirty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSD card.

Every time I take the microSD card out it has to be scanned for errors on my PC, and only after I scan for errors, the card can be used for writing on PC.
I do get a lot of FOUND*** folders on it.

Does it need to be RMA's. I shut down the phone before taking it out.

Background:
I need to take my microSD card out of my phone to sync a folder with the one I have on my PC frequently. I have to do this because it's a hundred or a thousand times faster to sync a large folder directly than it is over Wi-Fi or even if I connect the phone with a cable, because you can't mount the card as a drive letter on latest versions of Android, and this in itself prevents a fast sync over cable.

Odd...with side sync I've not experienced any slowosity :)
When connected to the comp...no, no drive letter, but a folder under the device which affords complete access/manipulation of sub folders/files....

BTW...that's Marshmallow.

Last edited:
Have you tried to run it through clean all in diskpart then format in your device? I fear there may be something wrong with the partition table (or whatever it may be called for a microSD) and that small error is tripping the disk check every time you put the card in the PC. I have had many many problems with sd cards of all makes models and sizes and often the only cure is:
diskpart -> list disk _> select disk x (where x is your sdcard) -> clean all
the insert the unformatted disk into your phone and let the phone take it from there.

While I have never had the problem that you describe I have had similar. The steps I listed have cured every problem related to sdcards.

I am wondering about the microSD card underlying issue in this thread but for discussion on the sync topic Luta, first let me clarify that separate topic, then give you a link to one of the forum threads where I unsuccessfully tried to address this syncing speed issue. It is another one of my "I can't believe no one else in the world wants to... " Andorid issues, in this case, quickly sync a large Android folder.

So first what syncing in this case is about:
If you hold a microSD card in the palm of your hand, you can sync the contents relatively quickly on a PC but not on Android where it would be a thousand times slower in comparison.

For example, if a 10 GB folder with 50,000 files in all its subfolders exists on a PC and on your cell phone,
and you want to
copy ONLY the changed files from PC to microSD card.

The process will be a thousand times (not an exaggeration) slower unless you can mount the micrSD card as a drive letter, either by physically inserting it into a PC, or by having it mounted as a drive letter after connecting the phone with a cable to PC (since drive mounting is impossible on latest versions of Android, physically taking the microSD card out is the only option.)

More on syncing Android in here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/763177

Last edited:
OK...I see of what you speak. My old phone could be recognized as mass storage, not just a portable media device.
Now, regarding the card. Yes, you turn off the phone prior to removal...but prior to that did you unmount it?

If the phone is powered down properly and you then take the battery out... That would make it okay to simply take the microSD card out, correct?

Would it hurt to try unmounting prior?
You think you may be having a problem with the card...give it a break and do it right :shrug:
Leaving it mounted, it thinks it's at home...unmount tells it to get ready for a walk ;)

I ended up losing a significant amount of files from it just earlier so there is no question the card is heading for an RMA... :(

Maybe your gold contacts on the SDcard are worn out too much because of the constant removal and reinsertion of the SD card...
Bad contacts might be why you are loosing data.

Did this ever happen when you first got the SD card? If not them maybe that's why things are going wonky now... :shrug:

Maybe your gold contacts on the SDcard are worn out too much because of the constant removal and reinsertion of the SD card...
Bad contacts might be why you are loosing data.

Did this ever happen when you first got the SD card? If not them maybe that's why things are going wonky now... :shrug:

Perhaps using an app such as Airdroid to transfer files to/from the phone would be an alternative to physically removing the SDcard.

Here's what they look like, what do you think?
128GBsdCardContacts.jpg

Airdroid is excellent.
I do use it to transfer files.

I have a question for you.
We are switching from PC to portable computing, more and more, right?
Portable computing has both the processing power and relatively speaking, large storage capacities, right?
There was a way to use a coupon on newegg business recently to acquire a 200GB microSD cheap enough that almost anyone could do it.

So, now, I ask you... why is it unreasonable to want to have a duplicate of an extremely important large FOLDER on your mobile device???

If it is not unreasonable, then how do you keep a duplicate of a large FOLDER on a mobile device.
Why you synchronize it of course.

If you go in and make JUST one single word change in one single text file inside a large folder... take a stopwatch and measure how long it would take you to synchromize (have a duplicate) of that large folder on a mobile device.

Whatever the result, it is a THOUSAND times slower than if you mount the microSD card as a drive letter. Literally a THOUSAND times slower, because the entire folder has to be checked, and only then that one single txt file can be identified.

There is *no substitution* for this, yet obviously people have no need to do this, or else we would be hearing them complain. I wouldn't be the only one.
Yet literally millions of people sync folders on PCs every day... and none of them want to do the same on their mobile devices?!?

It is impossible to synchronize a large folder quickly using Wi-Fi, or cloud. It can ONLY be done quickly using direct drive letter access.
And the only way to accomplish that is to physically take out the card... although I sometimes wonder why I just don't go back to Galaxy S4 and an older version of Android where you could still mount a microSD card as a drive letter using a phone to PC cable connection...

Yeah they are a bit worn down. They might not honor an RMA since that's normal wear.
Still confused one why you have such a large folder on your Android device...

Just a little FYI, the Android phone's CPU speeds directly affect the read/write speeds via USB cable transfers as well as the latency to read a folder with many files.

My LG G3 was set to "conservative" governor, with a max speed of 1.2 Ghz. I could hardly open up my DCIM folder. Changed the governor to "interactive" with a max speed of 1.5Ghz and it was much faster loading said folder. That's what I have found on my Android phones. (G3 And C800G)

Not sure if you are conserving battery power by reducing CPU speeds but I figured I'd mention it.

EDIT: Why not try do sync using free file sync? You already use it. Might be worth a shot.
Just a quick mock setup copying pictures to my SD card:

To_G3.PNG

Last edited:
I am extremely interested in the second part of your post.
Where do I find this setting on Android? I have Samsung Galaxy 4 and 5 phones.

As for the first part.
This:
Still confused one why you have such a large folder on your Android device...

That's the part I don't understand. I understand your question and what it means but I get that 10/10 times I talk to people. Meaning no one in the world has transitioned their PC stuff to mobile computing?
People routinely have large folders for work and personal use, on Windows devices.
We never see anyone anywhere ever question an existence of a multi GB folder on Windows... work or personal.

Why have people not transitioned, 64GB microSD drives can be had for seven or eight bucks when on sale, so money is not the reason...
Even a 200GB drive was about $40 after coupon on newegg business site on sale at one point.

If someone doesn't have a multi GB folder for work or personal use on Windows, that I could understand. But LOTS and lots of us :) out here in the real world on Windows use work and personal folders that routinely exceed the 1 GB mark.

Not one employee of not one corporation, not one enthusiast wants to take those folders on the road, or to a business trip or to a business meeting. wut!?!
How do they keep those folders synchronized?
Do they all wait for the cloud to sync those folders, it would take ages and ages to analyze that much data over wi-fi for comparison to source in order to sync it.
It can *only* be done quickly if mounted as a drive letter, there is no other way.

I am extremely interested in the second part of your post.
Where do I find this setting on Android? I have Samsung Galaxy 4 and 5 phones.

As for the first part.
This:

That's the part I don't understand. I understand your question and what it means but I get that 10/10 times I talk to people. Meaning no one in the world has transitioned their PC stuff to mobile computing?
People routinely have large folders for work and personal use, on Windows devices.
We never see anyone anywhere ever question an existence of a multi GB folder on Windows... work or personal.

Why have people not transitioned, 64GB microSD drives can be had for seven or eight bucks when on sale, so money is not the reason...
Even a 200GB drive was about $40 after coupon on newegg business site on sale at one point.

If someone doesn't have a multi GB folder for work or personal use on Windows, that I could understand. But LOTS and lots of us :) out here in the real world on Windows use work and personal folders that routinely exceed the 1 GB mark.

Not one employee of not one corporation, not one enthusiast wants to take those folders on the road, or to a business trip or to a business meeting. wut!?!
How do they keep those folders synchronized?
Do they all wait for the cloud to sync those folders, it would take ages and ages to analyze that much data over wi-fi for comparison to source in order to sync it.
It can *only* be done quickly if mounted as a drive letter, there is no other way.

See my edit above, Might be possible with ffs.
I refuse to transition to mobile computing. I hate laptops and phones aren't meant to game on. (Even though my G3 does it well) I heavily prefer my desktop for 99% of my computing needs be it storage, gaming web browsing etc. That's just me. That's why I don't understand why you have large folders on your phone. I don't see the value in that.

To take files to a business meeting, I'd just use a big USB 3.0 "stick" or a portable USB HDD.

Anyways as for the governor settings, I run the stock OS ROM on my G3, BUT I am rooted. So I have an app called "No Frills CPU" which lets me set the governor and CPU speeds.
Cyanogenmod 9.2 also had this feature under "Settings > Performance" I can set the governor and overclock my LG C800G up to 1.5Ghz from 1Ghz stock.

Basically, you need to be rooted or have a custom ROM for that, though No-Frills CPU might work without root.

First of all thank you for the suggestion.
I have dealt with this issue for years and I know what the cause is.
The same sync software I use, Beyond Compare, is capable of syncing Android with PC but is physically prevented from doing a fast sync.
Here's what's needed:
USB Mass Storage Mode
not
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) nor PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)

It is one thousand times faster to sync a phone in USB Mass Storage Mode.

But of course, it is only possible to hack a Galaxy 4 and force it to use USB Mass Storage Mode - it is not possible to have USB Mass Storage Mode on Galaxy 5 or newer and I talked to the creators of already known methods to do this on an old Galaxy 4. Several of them have tried this on newer phones like Galaxy S5 and later, on xda. It can't be done.

...which, just for anger venting purposes brings us back to the same thing every one says, why?

Well look at what you said. You took that to mean abandoning PC. Or always and only using a PC.
But so many times we are 'stuck' with nothing but our phones in our pockets.
Why not have replicas of our PC stuff there.
You can easily permanently take with you 200GB worth of stuff. or "just" 128GB of data. That is easily doable. Permanently on your phone. Why not have all your stuff with you if you can, it is impractical to always have a laptop on your person.

So I understand no one else does this but I have all my stuff, ALL my work, ALL my music permanently with me and I can access it with no internet connection because it is on my person on a tiny microSD card. I can access it inside elevators, I can access it inside waiting rooms with no cell phone signal.
I am in complete 100% control of all my data... being on my person and not (just) on the cloud.
It is so easy to do... why be at a mercy of something else when IN ADDITION - you can have all your stuff in the palm of your hand.
Even a complete shut down of society won't deny you access to your files. You can wake up under a volcano in the deepest jungle and if you have your phone, you have ALL your stuff on it, right there.
I am exaggerating but has anyone SERIOUSLY never experienced loss of signal... ever? What do yo do then, what are your options?

What if you are on an airplane - no cell phone service there for most people. Why not have complete access to EVERYTHING you own!?! 128GB or 200GB of space goes a long way to make that a reality for most people.

Back to your useful info, oooh you are talking about overclocking.
I am on CyanogenMod 13.
I need to look into this.
Wonder how much Galaxy S5 can be overclocked and using what.
Cannot find Performance on CM13.
I am of course rooted and can modify anything.

Last edited:
First of all thank you for the suggestion.
I have dealt with this issue for years and I know what the cause is.
The same sync software I use, Beyond Compare, is capable of syncing Android with PC but is physically prevented from doing a fast sync.
Here's what's needed:
USB Mass Storage Mode
not
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) nor PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)

It is one thousand times faster to sync a phone in USB Mass Storage Mode.

But of course, it is only possible to hack a Galaxy 4 and force it to use USB Mass Storage Mode - it is not possible to have USB Mass Storage Mode on Galaxy 5 or newer and I talked to the creators of already known methods to do this on an old Galaxy 4. Several of them have tried this on newer phones like Galaxy S5 and later, at my repeated urging on xda. It can't be done.

...which, just for anger venting purposes brings us back to the same thing every one says, why?

Well look at what you said. You took that to mean abandoning PC. Or always and only using a PC.
But so many times we are 'stuck' with nothing but our phones in our pockets.
Why not have replicas of our PC stuff there.
You can easily permanently take with you 200GB worth of stuff. or "just" 128GB of data. That is easily doable. Permanently on your phone. Why not have all your stuff with you if you can, it is impractical to always have a laptop on your person.

So I understand no one else does this but I have all my stuff, ALL my work, ALL my music permanently with me and I can access it with no internet connection because it is on my person on a tiny microSD card. I can access it inside elevators, I can access it inside waiting rooms with no cell phone signal.
I am in complete 100% control of all my data... being on my person and not (just) on the cloud.
It is so easy to do... why be at a mercy of something else when IN ADDITION - you can have all your stuff in the palm of your hand.
Even a complete shut down of society won't deny you access to your files. You can wake up under a volcano in the deepest jungle and if you have your phone, you have ALL your stuff on it, right there.
I am exaggerating but has anyone SERIOUSLY never experienced loss of signal... ever? What do yo do then, what are your options?

What if you are on an airplane - no cell phone service there for most people. Why not have complete access to EVERYTHING you own!?! 128GB or 200GB of space goes a long way to make that a reality for most people.

Back to your useful info, oooh you are talking about overclocking.
I am on CyanogenMod 13.
I need to look into this.
Wonder how much Galaxy S5 can be overclocked and using what.
Cannot find Performance on CM13.
I am of course rooted and can modify anything.

Ahh.

Thank you for explaining in greater detail. I understand what you want to do and why you have large amounts of data on your phone.
And with some further reading I agree 100% it is much more feasible to remove the SDCard everytime to sync your files.

Of course, this degrades the SD card faster by wearing the contacts down like your cards appears to have..
Short of syncing your files over MPT overnight while you sleep, there doesn't appear to be much one can do... :-/

Sorry if I caused you a headache. I can tell you've been at this issue for a very long time and I imagine it's become a huge frustration....

In terms of overclocking, that all depends on the kernel you have. Most kernels in stock ROMs won't allow overclocking. Quick google search reveals some kernels to flash, but it also turns up results for a locked bootloader. Definitely something to look into though. Help squeeze even more power out of the S5 :thup:
Watch the temperatures though. I always have my G3 set to 1.498Ghz max now since it overheats very, very fast. (80C+)

EDIT: This article http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-lollipop-device-via-usb-in-mass-storage-mode , mentions using adb to push/pull files to sync... With some programming i think it [synchronize files] can be done automatically, but i lack that skill...

There are a few apps that will let you set a different governor. You really should look into all the different ones and how they work. Support for particular governor has to be written into the kernel as well. Some devices simply wont be able to use certain governors. That said there are a double or triple handfull depending on what hardware/rom/and kernel you have.

Here are some apps (require root) that will let you tweak your governor settings: Rom Toolbox (either pro or free version) and Kernel Adiutor (not Auditor...Adiutor). There are others if those dont serve you well enough, but Ive never needed any others. You could also benefit from changing your I/O scheduler. Im not an expert in those things so all I can say is that you might find the reading interesting and relevant

Thanks for the USB Mass Storage Mode link, I am always eager to talk USB Mass Storage with anyone who has any knowledge about it but we revolve around the same misconceptions about it. I am actually able to enable it even on Lollipop *but only* on Galaxy S4. Newer phones like Galaxy S5 have insurmountable limitations.
The other issue is workarounds. I can absolutely accomplish the end goal but the topic is doing syncing in literally seconds vs. hours.

File transfer is *not a problem*. Syncing in seconds is a (big) problem. It cannot be done on modern phones, period.

I have become aware of the damage done by excessive removal of the microSD card and absolutely need to either go back to Galaxy S4 or sync overnight....and I don't see syncing overnight being an option for me, it would drive me mad to do that all night all the time.

When I initially looked at overclocking, I came to a conclusion that I would do it when I need more processing power...
I am having a little trouble justifying the need, if I need to sacrifice temperature or life longevity of the phone.

How does stock speed of a T-Mobile Galaxy S5 compare to your overclocked phones?

Thanks for the USB Mass Storage Mode link, I am always eager to talk USB Mass Storage with anyone who has any knowledge about it but we revolve around the same misconceptions about it. I am actually able to enable it even on Lollipop *but only* on Galaxy S4. Newer phones like Galaxy S5 have insurmountable limitations.
The other issue is workarounds. I can absolutely accomplish the end goal but the topic is doing syncing in literally seconds vs. hours.

File transfer is *not a problem*. Syncing in seconds is a (big) problem. It cannot be done on modern phones, period.

I have become aware of the damage done by excessive removal of the microSD card and absolutely need to either go back to Galaxy S4 or sync overnight....and I don't see syncing overnight being an option for me, it would drive me mad to do that all night all the time.

When I initially looked at overclocking, I came to a conclusion that I would do it when I need more processing power...
I am having a little trouble justifying the need, if I need to sacrifice temperature or life longevity of the phone.

How does stock speed of a T-Mobile Galaxy S5 compare to your overclocked phones?

Miles ahead of the LG C800G (Lg Eclypse) I have (That's the only phone I have that can overclock. Single core 1Ghz)
I have not attempted to overclock my LG G3 yet. If anything, I would apply thermal paste to the CPU and then I would remove the CPU throttle I have in place first :)
Why not run Antutu or Geekbench3 to get a score to compare against?

Well I didn't mean stay up all night syncing files :p
Surely freefilesync or Beyond Compare can sync all your files while you sleep no?

Only takes my PC a few hours to sync to my server over a 5Mb/s wifi link. I'd figure even MTP would be faster than 5Mb/s :shrug:

At any rate, you should grab another SD Card before it totaly dies on you!

Last edited:
Back