• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Every time I take my microSD card out of my phone and put it in my PC it's dirty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AnTuTu Benchmark wanted access to my phone, they appear to want my actual number to run the benchmark.
Geekbench 3 ran without needing to access my phone number.

Ran Geekbench 3 twice. First time I got
925 Single-Core and 3014 Multi-Core score.
Rebooted. Then ran the test fresh and got
956 Single-Core and 2945 Multi-Core score.

Tell me what those numbers tell you. :)

Do you not have permission toggle on your device? Search tings - >Apps - > choose app - > Permissions > toggle on/off the ones you want

Edit: if you don't want to get bogged down in the particulars (Antutu is Greek to me, but I'm still learning about how CPUs work) you can try HwBot Prime from the play store. It will give you a baseline and then you can see what types of improvements your kernel tweaking has gotten for you

Last edited:
959 Single core, 2495 multicore On my G3 at full speed. 2.49Ghz.
I say your S5 is still quite a powerful phone, and honestly I wouldn't bother overclocking it unless you need the extra performance. :)

I have researched the topic and have concluded that years later, today in 2016 whenever someone asks about USB Mass Storage Mode, 10/10 people either don't know what that is or think that it can be somehow... Somehow enabled.

Well it cannot on new phones, period.

So I am going back to Galaxy S4.

If GS4 is good enough for the President of the United States to use, it should be good enough for me.

I think they added extra layers of security but it's still a GS4 that POTUS uses.

I have researched the topic and have concluded that years later, today in 2016 whenever someone asks about USB Mass Storage Mode, 10/10 people either don't know what that is or think that it can be somehow... Somehow enabled.

Well it cannot on new phones, period.

So I am going back to Galaxy S4.

If GS4 is good enough for the President of the United States to use, it should be good enough for me.

I think they added extra layers of security but it's still a GS4 that POTUS uses.

So you're dumping your S5 just because it can only use MTP?

I don't know, I'd much rather have an S5 and let it sync overnight vs an S4 JUST to has full USB support.
Seriously, why not let it sync overnight? It's not like you use your phone while you sleep.

It's like selling your Lamborghini because it doesn't have the fuel economy of a Prius. :shrug:

Wait a minute....a Lamborghini isn't as fuel efficient as a Prius?
That's it....I'm dumpin' mine.

I dont know, just seems like a waste of a phone to dump it for that but hey, he propbably got many years if use out of it i guess

You edit a file or two or more... Now you need to GO out the door. You need to leave your office, or you need to go to a mechanic (waiting room) or to a doctor (waiting room) or a plane (airport) or an office across a busy town (in a taxi cab, during rush hour) or... Are you with me so far?

What do you do?

I could connect a modified GS4 which shows up as a drive letter thereby allowing only the modified files to transfer out of the jungle of folders to GS4 a thousand times faster then if the phone is WiFi connected or even if the phone is cable connected in any way that doesn't show the phone's card as a drive letter. Because the files are few but they are inside a multi GB folder, which first needs to be analyzed, a painfully slow process over any connection that does not show the phone as a drive letter.

When you have to GO, you have no time to wait.

Taking the microSD card out is not an ideal option as I found out the hard way.

How else could you do what is most important to you, if you need to transfer only the updated files in a hurry from a multi GB folder?

That one text file you forgot you even updated.
That one pdf file you forgot you even added.
That one song you want to have access to offline.
That one picture you really need that you added and you completely forgot about...

You will remember when it's too late, unless you synced your files and it would be a thousand times slower to sync them on any modern phone.

I would be grateful if you could explain to me why I am wrong and why in second half of 2016 it's unreasonable to want to suddenly out of the blue, sync your stuff with your mobile device in seconds or minutes instead of hours. No one is going to wait for hours, when they have to GO.

Their choice is therefore to go back to Galaxy S4 or wait for hours.
:(
And if my last statement is incorrect, please post why.

Last edited:
Seems more of a waste to hang on to an investment that doesn't do/offer what you want/need :shrug:

You edit a file or two or more... Now you need to GO out the door. You need to leave your office, or you need to go to a mechanic (waiting room) or to a doctor (waiting room) or a plane (airport) or an office across a busy town (in a taxi cab, during rush hour) or... Are you with me so far?

What do you do?

I could connect a modified GS4 which shows up as a drive letter thereby allowing only the modified files to transfer out of the jungle of folders to GS4 a thousand times faster then if the phone is WiFi connected or even if the phone is cable connected in any way that doesn't show the phone's card as a drive letter. Because the files are few but they are inside a multi GB folder, which first needs to be analyzed, a painfully slow process over any connection that does not show the phone as a drive letter.

When you have to GO, you have no time to wait.

Taking the microSD card out is not an ideal option as I found out the hard way.

How else could you do what is most important to you, if you need to transfer only the updated files in a hurry from a multi GB folder?

That one text file you forgot you even updated.
That one pdf file you forgot you even added.
That one song you want to have access to offline.
That one picture you really need that you added and you completely forgot about...

You will remember when it's too late, unless you synced your files and it would be a thousand times slower to sync them on any modern phone.

I would be grateful if you could explain to me why I am wrong and why in second half of 2016 it's unreasonable to want to suddenly out of the blue, sync your stuff with your mobile device in seconds or minutes instead of hours. No one is going to wait for hours, when they have to GO.

Their choice is therefore to go back to Galaxy S4 or wait for hours.
:(
And if my last statement is incorrect, please post why.

Points taken.

Enjoy your S4. At least sell the S5 then eh? Make some cash on the side for SD cards. :)

Heh :D :)

I wold rather you or anybody tell me I am wrong.
Because you effectively agree that no one "in the world" has a need to quickly take their updated files on the go with them. Or else there would be an option for this.

He'd not have to do the old in'n'out with his S4 as it can be seen as a mass storage device. ;)
A bigger SD card then! :D

Heh :D :)

I wold rather you or anybody tell me I am wrong.
Because you effectively agree that no one "in the world" has a need to quickly take their updated files on the go with them. Or else there would be an option for this.

But you aren't wrong. USB mode should have been left in Android, but rather just make it optional and make MPT the default for the 99% of Android users that dont know/care about true USB mode.

You might just be a pioneer in the sense that nobody else takes all of their data around. If things continue like they are soon enough everyone else will begin taking more data with them. :)

I wasn't able to read all of this, lots of detail in here but I feel your pain about removing SD card to transfer files and putting it back and coming up with errors or unable to read even though its perfectly fine.

A few years back I did a Kickstarter with a Micro USB to Micro SD card. It was small, transportable and it came with a mini adaptor to connect into my PC and yet still access anything on it via my phone. No issues, quick transfers, etc. Over the years it seems like they've expanded a little to other adapters for USB-C and even Apple products.

So while you might want to upgrade to a newer phone maybe this is a solution to easily transfer files from PC to Phone if you need it on the go?
https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/products.html

It's really okay that you didn't read the thread, I would be happy to catch you up, and feel free to ask any questions.
Most importantly, this is not about file transfer but about transferring only the updated files inside a folder with a jungle of subfolders. A process you may also know as synchronizing.

In order to do this quickly, the target MUST show up as a drive letter. If there is no drive letter, then the sync process can be a thousand times slower.

It is impossible to mount newer phones as drive letters, you can only do that with older phones. Taking the microSD card out is the only way to mount it as a drive letter therefore, this can be done but it can and did damage the card if done often.

Feel free to either read the thread or you can ask further questions if you want, either is fine.

Some of those adaptors raise an additional, equally unbelievable fact that I did not talk about in this thread.

GET THIS.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to sync two folders on Android itself.
Crazy but true.
No one in the entire world has ever had any need to sync two Android folders, on Android, without using WI-FI or Cloud, which of course make the process a thousand times slower.

If you find an app that claims it can, it cannot.
It only syncs a single folder but not all the subfolders, which is really the ENTIRE POINT of syncing.
There is no program in the world that exists as of July 2016, that can sync two Android folders DIRECTLY without using the cloud.

Everyone on every Android forum says the same thing, why would you not want to use the CLOUD or WiFi?
After a lengthy discussion, they all then acknowledge that it takes a thousand times longer to use the Cloud or WiFi, proving the fact that it's crazy that millions of people do this on Windows every day and ZERO people do that on Android, anywhere in the world.
I can't wrap my head around that at all...

P.S. I may need to pre-empt the "why would you want to do that" question - it's because if you hold in your hand a microSD card, remember 200GB card was on sale on newegg business for like $40, and 128GB cards are less than that, so this is entirely possible for everyone, that card you hold in your hand CANNOT be synced with another Android folder because no program exists that can do that, other than through the Cloud.
And it would take overnight to do that over the Cloud.

Last edited:
My Windows phone updates the backup folder on my PC everytime I plug it in.

Windows phones may be different, I do not know.
It would be interesting to find out. So if you wanted to do a manual sync, can your Windows phone be made to show up as a drive letter, and do you have an external microSD card slot?

On Android, file transfers are okay, and small folders can be synced okay.
The topic is: very large folders with large number of subfolders inside subfolders.

So, in order to just analyze a large folder on the phone so that it can be determined which files need to be updated, now THAT process is the choking point.
It takes FOREVER to perform that analysis over any kind of connection other than a drive letter connection.

And you can only realize this if attempting to sync a very large folder with a large number of subdirectories even if only a single small txt file needs to be transferred.

No add ins just a 16G internal. Shows up as mass storage if NOT using the windows software

It's really okay that you didn't read the thread, I would be happy to catch you up, and feel free to ask any questions.
Most importantly, this is not about file transfer but about transferring only the updated files inside a folder with a jungle of subfolders. A process you may also know as synchronizing.

In order to do this quickly, the target MUST show up as a drive letter. If there is no drive letter, then the sync process can be a thousand times slower.

It is impossible to mount newer phones as drive letters, you can only do that with older phones. Taking the microSD card out is the only way to mount it as a drive letter therefore, this can be done but it can and did damage the card if done often.

Feel free to either read the thread or you can ask further questions if you want, either is fine.

Man totally missed the Sync part of it. Yeah I understand the issue of it not showing up as a drive letter. PITA that something that was working decently and changed in the newer versions. I have a feeling they started to get rid of it due to security issues and back door ways into the OS.

Me I've just gotten over it and when I need to transfer something I just use the software that my server uses, but as said its a cloud app. At least its a cloud app when I'm not in the house, when I'm in the house its just like being connected to the network. Multi folders everything. Though I haven't really used it much on my tablet or phone since, really only time I want something transferred its typically when I go on trips and load up media quick.

Back