• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking FX 6300 on gigabyte 970 DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ayylmao

I recently replaced my stock cpu cooler with an evo hyper 212 so I can overclock my cpu from 3.5ghz to 4.1 ghz. However, because I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking, I have no idea what to do nor where to start. I realized that overclocking is a bit different for every mobo, which is why I'm here asking for help. I would appreciate it if you guys can provide clear step by step instructions. I watched some videos on how to overclock but most of them differ from one another.

PC specs:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz
Cpu: AMD FX-6300 2.5ghz
GPU: GTX 960 SC

Here are some pics from my BIOS.
f9SLnVy.jpg
xqU2JRM.jpg
w9aUZzD.jpg
HlBclFO.jpg
33SMgYu.jpg

Welcome to OCF Ayylmao
I would suggest you start by readin the link in my sig about overclocking the FX CPU. Lots of good info there. You'll want CPUz, Prime95 and HWMontitor free so download those. Then befor you start do a short test of 20 minutes with Prime95 blend and have HWMonitor running to capture temps and volts. Post those pics up with the CPUz , CPU,memory and SPD tabs.

I have the same exact mobo as the guy in the video, so can I just follow this guy's video guide since i'm also aiming for 4.1ghz? Also, your OC guide is missing a lot of pictures, so it's somewhat confusing for me.

Also I'm not sure if I did it right but here are my results from the stress test:
occ.png

Last edited:
Set the clock ratio from aut to manual and then to 20.5 and HPC to enabled. Try that with p95 and see if it'll run. If not then we'll need to add some voltage

Set the clock ratio from aut to manual and then to 20.5 and HPC to enabled. Try that with p95 and see if it'll run. If not then we'll need to add some voltage

Am I suppose to disable C1E state, Core 6 state, Cool 'n' quiet, core performance boost, and Turbo boost as well?

Last edited:
You can but that's not always necessary. I feel that keeping the power savings enabled will be better for your low power board

You can but that's not always necessary. I feel that keeping the power savings enabled will be better for your low power board

Stupid question, but how do I know when I need to increase the voltage and by how much? I'm a bit confused since the guy in the video has the same pc spec as me, but he changed his volt, whereas you're telling me to only change the clock ratio. I'm just paranoid that i might damage my pc if I mess up.

you know you need to add voltage when workers fail, a core or two will be listed as not working in p95.
no body can tell you how much voltage to add, when i need to add a little voltage i highlight the cpu vcore voltage and tap the + key once or twice and retest.

and..... a little more.
I'm really pretty big on running all the power saving stuff, I get mine clocked with it all off so i make max heat and then I bring in all the power saving stuff but, I have big water cooling and top of the heap gear, that lets me get away with many sins.

So I just followed the advice and my PC crashed twice. On the first attempt, I got a blue screen with the error saying, "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" when I tried to run p95; and on the second try, my pc froze. I had to revert the setting back to the original in the BIOS. I'm pretty sure that I have to do more than just change the cpu clock ratio....

You're right as C_D said if it fails add voltage to the CPU_CORE. Just use the offset option and add volts until it passes

So i pretty much followed the video guide that I linked and ran the torture test on prime 95; however, one of my workers stopped about 10 minutes into the test. The log says "illegal sumout", what does that mean? I added +0.050 to the CPU Vcore while i was overclocking if you guys were wondering.

worker.png

Last edited:
Turn off the power saving features. Turn off Turbo. You want the clock speed to stay put.

Temps look ok to do so. Manually set desired clock speed and voltage. Use LLC to steady the voltage.

Once you've accomplished a steady clock and voltage, then proceed to testing.

Problem is you have cores throttling and some on turbo. You don't want this.

Turn off the power saving features. Turn off Turbo. You want the clock speed to stay put.

Temps look ok to do so. Manually set desired clock speed and voltage. Use LLC to steady the voltage.

Once you've accomplished a steady clock and voltage, then proceed to testing.

Problem is you have cores throttling and some on turbo. You don't want this.

I disabled core performance boost, cool&quiet, C1E support, SVM, CORE C6 STATE, HPC MODE, and APM while overclocking in the BIOS.

You missed something. Thats why the clocks are all different. Double check it.
My current BIOS settings.

pv23by1.jpg
kB7KpuZ.jpg
SNlfl8w.jpg
lXkeuGZ.jpg
cvaeEaP.jpg

UPDATE: I restarted my PC and ran P95 for the past hour or so and all 6 workers seems to be fine so far. Anyone know why worker 6 failed in the first place, only for it to be fine now?

Last edited:
In that first screen enable HPC mode.
Could be that you're not quite stable. HPC helps stop throttling due to power draw. After you enable it you might not make it through P95

So I just followed the advice and my PC crashed twice. On the first attempt, I got a blue screen with the error saying, "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" when I tried to run p95; and on the second try, my pc froze. I had to revert the setting back to the original in the BIOS. I'm pretty sure that I have to do more than just change the cpu clock ratio....

If Windows replies with error code "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", increase the Vcore...

And concidentally, I had the PC crash without any error message with Prime95 on an old school AMD before (with Throughbred a.k.a. "T-bred") when you're past the absolute core limit and possibly too high of CPU temps. (The freezing)

If Windows locks up when running Prime95, the CPU temps are suspect, I would tunnel in some chilly air to the CPU heatsink. It can mean that you hit a brick wall and means that you need to back off by at least about 20 Mhz for the core frequencies!

For the illegal-sumout errors, (I gotten that before on an 02 T-bred B AIUCB before), because of a brick wall, I had to back off on the core speed by at least about 10 Mhz. In this case, I would try with more Vcore...

Last edited:
Back