• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating My brothers PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

So my brother doesnt do much on his pc... WOW, Hearthstone, youtube and such.. Anyways long story short hes got some swollen Caps on his motherboard (mind you this was built in 2005) its an old EVGA 680SLI Motherboard DDR2 ect.

i was thinking about updating him a little bit to like an I-3

Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU

Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
$110.99 $110.99 SuperBiiz Buy
CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
$34.89 -$10.00 $24.89 OutletPC Buy
$10.00 mail-in rebate
Motherboard

Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$144.99 $144.99 NCIX US Buy
Memory

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$64.99 FREE $64.99 Adorama

As for his video card just gunna run his old EVGA 660TI super clocked.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MfjXvV

Figured this should be pretty much sufficient for what he wants. He gave me a budget of about 400. Any ideas?

I booted wow just to see what it would run (after about two hours of update from not logging in for several years) and the gtx 1070 gets about 60fps in heavy cities and like 180fps out in the world with the new ultra settings. My cpu never got above about 50% usage, so it is more gpu dependant. The i3 should be good.
I dialed the graphics all the way down and the HD 530 actually got about 30fps out in the world (cities were a no-go).

Really don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. An I3 and no overclocking no need. Save a few bucks.

Ditto. You can't overclock that CPU so no aftermarket cooler needed.

However, you really should consider a new PSU. If the current one in the system has been there from 2005 I wouldn't trust it. It could fry your new motherboard if it goes out.

Ditto. You can't overclock that CPU so no aftermarket cooler needed.

However, you really should consider a new PSU. If the current one in the system has been there from 2005 I wouldn't trust it. It could fry your new motherboard if it goes out.

Woops think I deleted my reply lol. I have a 700w Thermaltake that I never used it was just Gunna give him.

And maybe I'll swap the cooler out for an ssd. He's running 2 old 500gs wd 5400s lol.

Ps: trents love your sig. My name came from Roman's 12:2. ;)

How old and what model is the Tt PSU? I wouldn't trust that much either, especially if it's old, even if it wasn't ever used.

Maybe a year if that.. I got it when I did my upgradear on my pc it was a combination deal, figured ide use it for a media pc, but then decided it was overkill lol

ill have to check the model later

Last edited:
Woops think I deleted my reply lol. I have a 700w Thermaltake that I never used it was just Gunna give him.

And maybe I'll swap the cooler out for an ssd. He's running 2 old 500gs wd 5400s lol.

Ps: trents love your sig. My name came from Roman's 12:2. ;)

Thanks for noticing the Sig.

Did the update and some.cleaning.. just a few pictures.

w1zc68.jpg

2bnmu8.jpg

5xu1j5.jpg

3535994.jpg

i37uox.jpg

Also did an ssd (pny 240g) and new psu(corsair cr550)..

What brand of cooler is that? can't make it out. But much improvement in performance and appearance. Oh, I see now: Phanteks.

What brand of cooler is that? can't make it out. But much improvement in performance and appearance. Oh, I see now: Phanteks.

yeah i got it for free lol just wish he had black usb wires... that off white meh

think the hardest part was backing up his hard drive.. he had 2 250GB striped ... so i couldnt just plug into a sata port cause he had it set through the motherboard... ended up doing it via the network on to my computer.. took about 4 hours.

Concerning backing up RAID, for future reference I think you can just image the RAID volume with say, Macrium Reflect free version, and then restore it to the new system using a self-booting Windows PE disc that you create using Macrium Reflect. If the new system was employing RAID, just build the array first and then restore the OS, programs and data with the image. I don't think the image knows or cares whether it is being restored to a RAID or a non RAID setup.

Back