• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is overclocking worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

Hey Guys,

First off I would like to say after a 2 week hiatus I am back up and running again.

I'm looking to get some more points flowing in for the team/get myself into the competition a little more, and I wanted to ask: does anyone see a big ppd increase with a good overclock? Is overclocking worth it for folding?

Also, If anyone has any experience with overclocking 970s, what clocks did you safely get and how much ppd increase was there?

Welcome back to the fold! :)

I haven't played around with GPU OC'ing myself but from what I read it's a small increase. I haven't seen someone get a 20% boost in PPD due to an overclock. Plus you have to calculate in the added wattage and heat load, not to mention the risk of instability. 5% higher speed but if your uptime is only 95% then what was gained? This is all IMHO of course! ;)

Glad to have you back :thup:

I run my 970's at 1452 and 1465 boost clocks (both are the same card EVGA SC but the boost clicks are a bit different individually but match each other in SLI while gaming) which is +98 on the core for them. I have had zero issues and have never bothered to see if the can go any higher. Now this is with them water cooled and max of 50c.

Sounds like there isn't any dramatic increases in ppd with overclocking, but every point helps right!?

I run my 970's at 1452 and 1465 boost clocks (both are the same card EVGA SC but the boost clicks are a bit different individually but match each other in SLI while gaming) which is +98 on the core for them. I have had zero issues and have never bothered to see if the can go any higher. Now this is with them water cooled and max of 50c.

Sadly mine are not water cooled, only air for me. Anyone seen any effects to cards when overclocked and folding 24/7? I know they will eventually give out at some point, but I want to know if I should expect dramatic decreases in life expectancy.

Most failures I've read about around here are from the fans on air cooled cards not the card itself.

I have had a lot of fans fail on my farm. It probably has accounted for 80% of my card failures. but that failure would happen with or without OCing. I personally don't OC my folding farm. To me, it adds yet another layer of complexity when things go south. I do have factory OCd cards and that I find to be fine. I just don't want to push my folding gear to the edge where I may be producing bad data. I've done that before and it just didn't work out well for me. YMMV.

Back