• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Corsair PSU is Driving me INSANE....Recommend A New One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

I have a Corsair HX650 which after reading some things online tend to hum, buzz, and gurgle as the CPU frequency changes. For the longest time I thought it was the HX100i but it wasn't. It makes the absolute most ANNOYING noises I have ever heard.

Can anyone recommend a queietrr/silent PSU for the setup in my signature? One that won't whine and hum as the CPU throttles. This is a workstation computer for photo and video editing - not a gaming configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah not much one can do about it.

+1 to what Joe said, EVGA Supernova PSU's are fantastic. You really can't get much better for the price.

+1

The Corsair AX860 that's on my old build has this coil whine too. I can't hear it during operation because the stock Intel cooler is louder than it, but when I power off the computer. The PSU will continue to whine till I cut power to it in the back. My biggest beef with components is the unnecessary noises. I also have an older LCD monitor that whines when its powered off but still connected to my power strip. :bang head

No issues like that on 550RM, 850HX ( even though it has over 5 years ) and both PCP&C PSU which I have ( I don't think they make PSU anymore ). I heard that on some cheaper units but it's strange for higher series. I would ask Corsair if they can make something about it ( if it's under the warranty and it should have 5 years or something ).

No issues like that on 550RM, 850HX ( even though it has over 5 years ) and both PCP&C PSU which I have ( I don't think they make PSU anymore ). I heard that on some cheaper units but it's strange for higher series. I would ask Corsair if they can make something about it ( if it's under the warranty and it should have 5 years or something ).

Yeah, I read up on coil whine beforehand and I did research on a few brands and didn't see much about Corsair having the problem. Guess I'm just unlucky :( Then I got complacent and put my tower on the floor under my desk (hardwood) and didn't notice it as much. But your right I should contact them now that I have a new rig. It's still under the warranty, purchased it in 2013 :thup:

It's odd for me to see coil whine from a power supply (or caused by the power supply), every time I've encountered coil whine it's been caused by a graphics card.

On my test bench I must have tried three different power supplies from two different manufacturers (Corsair HX620, Corsair TX750, PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 850W), and made in different years/months (by lot code/date code), then I discovered that the 8800GTX graphics card I was testing was the cause of the coil whine. Oddly, I've never had any other model of graphics card that caused nearly that much coil whine under load (gaming/graphics benchmarking), some others do also cause coil whine, but not nearly that bad. I must have had four 8800GTX's (two Asus, one out of a Dell, and one from BFG), and all of them had coil whine.

Well I took your recommendation and went with the 750W EVGA G2. Microcenter priced matched to $99.99 @ Amazon and I have a $20.00 rebate form! So far it's silent.

Insanity no more! :)

I'm with you on noise, I just can't stand it.
good choice of psu, I have a couple of G2's, the cats meow.........

I'm with you on noise, I just can't stand it.
good choice of psu, I have a couple of G2's, the cats meow.........

My only complaints were how short the Motherboard cable was and the fact that it didn't come with any 90° SATA power cables.....really??? It BARELY made it.

Back