• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about Going Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^yes and no about the x99 boards:
Yes, they are all good quality
No, the board does matter. If you plan on overclocking the CPU/RAM, get a x99 with OC socket, or you will be stuck with a 3600/3700MHz cache when the OC socket ramps up to 4.2/4.4GHz cache.

Last edited:
Benching looks like:
Z170 -> ASRock OCF/OCFM, RAM= G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB 3000C14, 3200C14/15, 3600 C16
X99 -> ASUS ROG or ASRock higher series with OC socket ( generally only USB 3.1 versions ), RAM Trident Z 4x8GB as above

Benching rig in this case will look almost the same as gaming. For gaming you can get cheaper board from MSI which will overclock about as good but depends from version it can have better or worse BIOS and some voltage limits. RAM can be the same in both cases.

No, the board does matter. If you plan on overclocking the CPU/RAM, get a x99 with OC socket, or you will be stuck with a 3600/3700MHz cache when the OC socket ramos up to 4.2/4.4GHz cache.

Sorry, I dont know alot about x99 boards :/.

No, the board does matter. If you plan on overclocking the CPU/RAM, get a x99 with OC socket, or you will be stuck with a 3600/3700MHz cache when the OC socket ramps up to 4.2/4.4GHz cache.
Cache really doesn't give much of any performance increases anyway...(memory bandwidth...woohoo!) Unless you are benchmarking, I wouldn't worry about buying a board with the "OC Socket" personally.

XRogerX, just look at my title. I don't think you should go Intel. All of these people are delusional.

I have seen a few people with that problem in the Newegg reviews on the GA 170 Gaming 7
Do you have a GA 170 Gaming 7?

Yep. No issues with it at all.
My only audio issue at all was a loud chirp when Windows was booting. Traced it down to an issue with the Gigabyte Extreme Gaming App, so it wasn't even the board.

Cache really doesn't give much of any performance increases anyway...(memory bandwidth...woohoo!) Unless you are benchmarking, I wouldn't worry about buying a board with the "OC Socket" personally.

Let me tell you that I do not agree with you my good old friend! ;)

And let me tell you why:

Memory BANDWIDTHHHHHH!!!!

More seriously, if buying a whole new system, at tis price, I would go for the OC socket, as it is only a few bucks more than the regular one. And who knows, if sometime the OP gets the benching bug, he'll be happy to... Memory BANDWIDTHHHHHH!!!!

:rofl:

Yep. No issues with it at all.
My only audio issue at all was a loud chirp when Windows was booting. Traced it down to an issue with the Gigabyte Extreme Gaming App, so it wasn't even the board.

The second of my board's audio quirk is a through the speakers on shut down. I have to turn the amp off before I shut down the computer. Pops are not good for speakers. Not. Good. But I maintain the improvement in sound quality over the Realtek chips is great enough to be worth a couple extra steps.

The second of my board's audio quirk is a through the speakers on shut down. I have to turn the amp off before I shut down the computer. Pops are not good for speakers. Not. Good. But I maintain the improvement in sound quality over the Realtek chips is great enough to be worth a couple extra steps.

Do you use the Gigabyte Extreme Gaming App? It took me a while to trace my initial startup pop back to that, but I don't get any pops/chirps/startup issues without that app.

Let me tell you that I do not agree with you my good old friend! ;)

And let me tell you why:

Memory BANDWIDTHHHHHH!!!!

More seriously, if buying a whole new system, at tis price, I would go for the OC socket, as it is only a few bucks more than the regular one. And who knows, if sometime the OP gets the benching bug, he'll be happy to... Memory BANDWIDTHHHHHH!!!!

:rofl:
like I said... let me know when the garden hose can't keep up before we move onto the firehose. Lol!

Sry for not responding back ,just trying to do my homework and learning but intels

its all alot diffrent from AMD on overlcoking and alot more in the BIOS , going to have to learn something now lol

ok folks i ordered my Parts for my intel system i got , i went alittle more on the Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132565
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232306

i am going to reuse my GFX and my H110i change my HDDs around
my SSD for my O/S only / Blue 250GB (Benching) for CPU / Blue 250GB (Benching) for GFX / Seagate Hybrid 1TB 64MB Cache (Games)
something like that

what do you guys think

this is what the system specs will look like when done

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Stock
MB: MAXIMUS VIII HERO
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (Main)
HDD1: Western Digital Blue 250GB (Bnech)
HDD2: Western Digital Blue 250GB (Bench)
HDD3: Seagate Hybrid 1TB 64MB Cache (Games)
PSU: Corsair RM1000

Looks good, I'd go with an Asrock board (Extreme4/4+/6), unless you plan on cold benching, in which case I'd go z170 OC formula (still Asrock).

Did you have a look at the Swiftech H240X? Works really well and is expandable. You can add a couple of radiators and a GPU block without issue.

Looks good, I'd go with an Asrock board (Extreme4/4+/6), unless you plan on cold benching, in which case I'd go z170 OC formula (still Asrock).

Did you have a look at the Swiftech H240X? Works really well and is expandable. You can add a couple of radiators and a GPU block without issue.

alrdy ordered Mobo /ram and CPU and yes i was looking at the Swiftech H240X , willl be ordering that sometime today and with the H100i ,i will be giving that

to the Wife as she asked if she could have it since it only like a few months old, instead of buying another one ,feels like im missing something

Back