• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

only running half core clock? r9 390

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

any ideas whats going on here? Sometimes (actually majority of the time) I am only running about half my core clock speed on my r9 390. Sometimes it stays half core..sometimes it will get to full clock speed at after 5-10 minutes..sometimes it actually works correctly. It will never reach stock speeds without at least 10 power limit increase.

windows 10 64bt
fx 6300 @ 4.4ghz
R9 390
16 GB ram

actually, I can't for the life of me get it to even get stock speed now

Last edited:
seems to happen at higher loads. I always have vsync on with free sync. When running 1440 no AA in, I get the full core clock, however if I add AA, or I try 4k, it drops the core clock speed.

here is a history log from running the 4k test no AA..see how much the core clock jumps around? as high as 1025 and as low as 700..and its constant hoping.

Last edited:
It's probably from CCC's power managment, basically it will run lower clock's to save power if it feel's it can. Quick google ClockBlocker and try that out if you would like to run full speed clocks during games and such. Also you can try opening CCC and under Gaming-Global Settings, look for Power Efficiency and turn it off :thup:

Last edited:
:welcome: xRydisx

What you have run into is the ATI Power Efficiency option for AMD cards. It helps to control the amount of power required to achieve a specific performance. The stress test software only has enough data to be processed that half the core does not need to be used. If you can achieve the same performance for lower power, why waste the power?

We want to waste the power because we are overclockers :) To turn off PE correctly, I have found it best to use MSI Afterburner. Have it run at startup, and just like Chevy350 said, you can find the PE option in the advanced section. (Only mess with Afterburner or CCC, do not use both at the same time; system may become unstable or profiles set will not take affect properly!)

Once you have PE removed, you should see the core run at max speed at all times.

It's probably from CCC's power managment, basically it will run lower clock's to save power if it feel's it can. Quick google ClockBlocker and try that out if you would like to run full speed clocks during games and such. Also you can try opening CCC and under Gaming-Global Settings, look for Power Efficiency and turn it off :thup:

:welcome: xRydisx

What you have run into is the ATI Power Efficiency option for AMD cards. It helps to control the amount of power required to achieve a specific performance. The stress test software only has enough data to be processed that half the core does not need to be used. If you can achieve the same performance for lower power, why waste the power?

We want to waste the power because we are overclockers :) To turn off PE correctly, I have found it best to use MSI Afterburner. Have it run at startup, and just like Chevy350 said, you can find the PE option in the advanced section. (Only mess with Afterburner or CCC, do not use both at the same time; system may become unstable or profiles set will not take affect properly!)

Once you have PE removed, you should see the core run at max speed at all times.

Sorry, I should of stated, I do have Power Efficiency turned off in the crimson driver settings. I also have the windows power management set to maximum performance

As it stands, I have it set like this:

global settings, Vsync off unless game states it is, Freesync on (as well as on monitor) and AA is application controlled and such. Only the shader/tesselation is amd optimized.
PE is turned off but I do have it FPS limited to 60 fps.

now I turn vsync on in every game because I get tearing any fps if I dont.

now I know the fps limit isn't lowering the clock because I can turn it off (which I have) and also benchmarks like 4k one dont even hit 60 fps, but still suffer the issue.

Sometimes I can get max clock speed (if I run 1440 without AA its almost always at 60fps at full clocks speed, sometimes it will drop to the 500-600 range and stay there). But most of the time, and in most games, you will see it jump around 400-700 range and never hit 60fps (it would if it did full speed)

And thanks, but not new, just had to make a new account since the forced password change.

Yeah something odd happened with your accounts. I saw a new account, and now its back to your normal one. :crazy:

My suggestion is to start from scratch. Clean out drivers, and removal all Afterburner files and stored data. Re-install drivers (do not touch settings) than reinstall afterburner. I currently have Afterburner as a startup ocing my 390 to 1100/1600 with PE disabled. I see 1100 core at all times. (For reference I'm using the R9 390 XFX Black Edition card).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah something odd happened with your accounts. I saw a new account, and now its back to your normal one. :crazy:

My suggestion is to start from scratch. Clean out drivers, and removal all Afterburner files and stored data. Re-install drivers (do not touch settings) than reinstall afterburner. I currently have Afterburner as a startup ocing my 390 to 1100/1600 with PE disabled. I see 1100 core at all times. (For reference I'm using the R9 390 XFX Black Edition card).

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, an admin spotted it and merged them.

I did that as well.

But after struggling with it for a few days, I think I solved the problem. I bought a 1070 instead. Hopefully no screen tearing, and if so..it should sustain at 60fps..so..no stuttering with vsync

I could never get freesync to work on this as well. Drop to 50 fps and it stutters like 20 fps because of vsync. ANd I just verified with the freesync windmill test..it isn't working. Huge reddit post about freesync being broken as well. Also after speaking with amdsupport they said it only works in desktop res is also the same res as game, and I will hate switching my desktop res to match my fullscreen game res every other game (some games ar e1080, some 1440, some 4k). Freesync/g-sync seems like such a huge hassle with so many rules

Odd, I have an LG 29UM65 and a R9 390, PE off and Freesync on and all games using V-sync. I've seen some very impressive changes in my games since upgrading. No tearing in Witcher 3 and the like.

Let me know what you plan on doing with that 390, I may scoop it up :) (PM no posts about buying/selling outside of marketplace).

Last edited:
Are you using DP or HDMI for monitor? Whats your resolution?

Back