• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypothetical pump failure question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

It's a silly question but if a water pump were to fail would the loop still thermal siphon enough to keep components from failing?

Or if anyone here has had a pump fail on them could you please tell me your experience. I am thinking about going under water but I am very worried about pump failure and it's consequences.

Thanks.

Cpu will hit it's thermal safety threshold and shut itself down to prevent damage. You'll then have to replace the pump. Done and done ;)

And the GPU's will downclock themselves even if running F@H 24/7?

Under a full load they'd hit thermal limits and throttle almost immediately. Both the GPUs and CPU should be able to protect themselves from a single event like a pump shutdown. The CPU will take the entire system offline because nothing runs without a CPU. If GPUs hit the critical threshold first the display might shut off first, I guess.

A fan failure on an aircooled system is going to end up in the same boat, so I personally wouldn't expect this scenario is actually a significantly higher risk factor in watercooled systems. Although I guess CPU fan failure is something PCs are better equipped to alert you about?

It would be the same thing if you were to completely shut off your pump while the PC is on. Your water temps will spike and eventually your system will hit thermal shutdown.

As Neb already stated, the CPU will have the whole PC shutdown and from my experience with GPUs, the screens will go black and or lock up the PC.

Back