• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 no longer activated, need help before windows 10 is no longer free!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeadlyPilot

So I have an old dell laptop and after installing lubuntu alongside windows 7 (GRUB bootloader) as a dual boot, I noticed that windows 7 had a message in the bottom right hand corner saying that windows wasn't genuine/build 7601. Obviously my windows install is no longer activated. I tried pulling the key from the registry using a vbs file using this script: http://jacobsalmela.com/find-your-windows-product-key-without-any-software/

which gave me a code that appears to be a code that dell puts on all oem pc's (according to a forum I found). So then I tried using Nirsoft's key finder but it couldn't find anything. Is there anyway I can possible get my activation back before windows 10 becomes $90+?!??!??!

I will try to post more details as I try different things.

I really appreciate the help

Can you not read the product key on the bottom of the laptop?

Try phone activation. If the copy of Windows 7 installed is OEM / Dell branded and that model computer was sold at some point with Windows 7 preloaded from Dell, it should activate fine because the hardware ID on the motherboard will be recognized as an acceptible match for that copy of Windows (no product key needed). Sometimes Windows can get deactivated and won't reactivate itself automatically over the internet, I've seen this a couple times first hand. There's no harm/risk in at least trying the phone option.

Back