• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good deal? 2560x1440 27 inch monitor 144Hz @$400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you need to decide what you really want out of a display before you drop money.
You cannot compare a WHQD IPS Gsync monitor to a low end 4k tv. Other than the fact that they display images they are not the same thing.

Damn, hmmm. Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately it seems that everything sucks. I guess I'll wait a month and see if the market improves.

I feel the same way. I just found another "deal" on a Asus 3840 x 2160 Monitor. It's 1ms response, but it's 60Hz of course.

That LG monitor is UHD, so its 3840x2160 isn't it?

Just buy. Seriously. You are never going to be happy, LOL! And things wont change in a month.

If it were only that simple :) I jumped at upgrading my rig because I know the life of these parts will last and upcoming parts won't make them instantly obsolete. Luckily in my case I'm waiting at least until Christmas to pull the trigger on the monitor, no point in getting it without the 1080s. I know Asus is coming out with a 144Hz 4K monitor in the near future... just comes down to how ridiculous it will be priced. It supposedly will be a 4ms response time so I can't assume it'll be as expensive as the ROG SWIFT PG279Q. I'm probably wrong though.

That LG monitor is UHD, so its 3840x2160 isn't it?

Just buy. Seriously. You are never going to be happy, LOL! And things wont change in a month.

The LG monitor shows 4096x2160 in NVidia control panel and on the OSD when I power up

But the LG site says it's UHD...

ED, I'm going by what Windows says the resolution is in "screen resolution" and in the NVidia display properties. I'm not going to argue the point. I'll screenshot it when I get home from work and upload it. Either the site is wrong or NVidia and Windows are wrong.

Not arguing at all. I would trust the horse's mouth (LG website) over what software says on it. That's all. I also could be missing something too... :)

If it were only that simple It supposedly will be a 4ms response time so I can't assume it'll be as expensive as the ROG SWIFT PG279Q. I'm probably wrong though.

You have to take into account that the PG279 is an IPS Gsync monitor. If the new 4K is IPS Gsync it will be hugely expensive.

Nobody would dare say otherwise...

You are going to be plenty happy with a 2560x1440 IPS 100MHz+ panel. If you need the res and refresh rate for 4K IPS, then you need to wait. Also start to saving more money as they are not going to be cheap!

Let me tell you the ONLY reason I upgraded to a 4K PC monitor is because I need the resolution to do reviews. As soon as I move into my new place, the 4K monitor moves back to 'review' duty only and I jump back to the 2560x1440 IPS (60Hz mind you). :)

You have to take into account that the PG279 is an IPS Gsync monitor. If the new 4K is IPS Gsync it will be hugely expensive.

I don't know then, maybe I'm better off investing in a 2560x1440 then. I don't know if I can bring myself to shell out more than 500 for a monitor, but from what I have been hearing the higher refresh rates are actually really nice. I guess I'll have to try to test some screens out at MicroCenter or Best Buy to get a better idea.

LOL, Its not that I didn't believe you.........:-/

Its that the thing is a UHD monitor direct from the factory spec sheet so I have no idea why it would show that res in Windows (in error?/DSR?). As I already said, I would venture to say its not right as the monitor is listed as UHD.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Nearly every day I've been browsing the major vendors looking for daily deals etc... and I haven't found anything yet. The specs that I'm looking for are:
- 27'' +
- <3 ms g2g
- >100hz
- gsync
- 2560 x 1440 or better resolution
- ips panel

Right now I'm strongly considering this refurbished monitor @$599.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...236705&cm_re=PG279Q_27-_-24-236-705-_-Product

It meets all of the criteria I'm looking for except the g2g is 4ms not 3ms - which will most likely be unnoticeable. I love the 165hz refresh rate. The only thing keeping me from clicking the buy button is the fact that it's refurbished. Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on this deal?

LOL, Its not that I didn't believe you.........:-/

Its that the thing is a UHD monitor direct from the factory spec sheet so I have no idea why it would show that res in Windows (in error?/DSR?). As I already said, I would venture to say its not right as the monitor is listed as UHD.

I run a Vizio TV for a monitor. Right on the box, as well as everywhere on their website and in their manual, it says the TV is only 720p. Yet I can run 1080p all day in Windows, and not only that but when I switch from 720p to 1080p, the actual TV itself says "1080p" in the right hand corner when I switch to 1080p, and when I switch back to 720p it says "720p". Likewise if I use Nvidia to run 1080i, the TV will say 1080i on it. Plus, 1080p is noticeably sharper than 720p, and the desktop size changes, so it is in fact displaying a 1080p signal despite the marketing saying it's only 720p. Accordingly, companies make mistakes, even on their own products. The guys writing the website and size of the box are probably not the engineers that designed the product.

True enough.

However, do you know how rare an ACTUAL 4K (4086x2160) monitor is? If you check at newegg, you will see there are 9. When you select 4K UHD, there are 449. Please understand why one would naturally think this way. 720p to 1080i/p was A LOT more common than TRUE 4K monitors. There is also the possibility the monitor reports the input signal type and still down converts to 720p. I had a monitor do that as well, my first big screen back in the day. :)

Last edited:
There is also the possibility the monitor reports the input signal type and still down converts to 720p. I had a monitor do that as well, my first big screen back in the day. :)
If that was the case, 720p and 1080p would probably look the same. A 1080p signal down covered to 720p doesent really look any better than an actual 720p signal. But in my case 1080p is quite noticeably sharper, both in games and on the desktop.

I run a Vizio TV for a monitor. Right on the box, as well as everywhere on their website and in their manual, it says the TV is only 720p. Yet I can run 1080p all day in Windows, and not only that but when I switch from 720p to 1080p, the actual TV itself says "1080p" in the right hand corner when I switch to 1080p, and when I switch back to 720p it says "720p". Likewise if I use Nvidia to run 1080i, the TV will say 1080i on it. Plus, 1080p is noticeably sharper than 720p, and the desktop size changes, so it is in fact displaying a 1080p signal despite the marketing saying it's only 720p. Accordingly, companies make mistakes, even on their own products. The guys writing the website and size of the box are probably not the engineers that designed the product.

That's pretty funny.

BTW, I bought the ASUS ROG PG278Q. It had nice specs and a good price. Reading reviews online is the damnedest thing... Everyone either says it's the greatest product ever created, or the worst POS they've ever wasted money on. Nobody ever just says, "yeah, it meets the spec and functions as expected." There are guys claiming they had to RMA the monitor 3 times, and they still received a lemon. Stories like that always make me feel apprehensive, but then I try to remember that not only are they rare exceptions, but quite a few people are just plain idiots.

When I was looking at monitors, I was between the PG278Q and the PG279Q.
What I found out in my research was that both of these monitors had quality issues in the early stages of their release. ASUS cleared up these issues and that is why you see such a disparity in ratings.

When I was looking at monitors, I was between the PG278Q and the PG279Q.
What I found out in my research was that both of these monitors had quality issues in the early stages of their release. ASUS cleared up these issues and that is why you see such a disparity in ratings.

I'm glad you came to that conclusion, because I discovered exactly the same thing. Hopefully by now they've worked out all of the kinks.

Anyway, if it has as much as a single dead pixel, I'm sending it back. At the $500+ price-point, it's fair to expect a very high standard of quality imo.

Back