• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install GTX 980Ti alongside GTX 780?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I wanted to do some PhysX testing using my GTX 780 as the dedicated PhysX card. The 780 is already installed in the box. All I have to do to install the GTX 980Ti is plug it in and fire up the system right? Then power it down and switch the connection to my primary monitor to the 980Ti?

That's the gist of it, yes. But for the most part I wouldn't expect a ton of gains as the 980ti I imagine can handle the process just fine.

You also have to set the 780 as PhysX in the drivers.

That's the gist of it, yes. But for the most part I wouldn't expect a ton of gains as the 980ti I imagine can handle the process just fine.

You also have to set the 780 as PhysX in the drivers.

This.

And the 780 ti being a hoooot card, you'll likely increase the temp in the case by several degrees.

Edit: Same go for the 780 :p

I just wanted to see what kind of diff running the GTX 780 as a dedicated physX card would make in the Metro:LL benchmark, if any.
I'd like to swap the positions of the GTX 780 and Creative Labs Audigy II and install the 980Ti all at once. Would it be feasible to just shut down the system, remove the power, re-arrange all the cards where I want them and then replace the power and power up the system? Or should I do just one card at a time?

Not worth the time or the effort (for me) to do it, honestly. Considering there is testing on the web for this if you look... :)

I ended up trying this anyway, only because I bricked my 980Ti w/a bad BIOS flash.

I have four games that used physx (Fallout 4, COD:Ghosts, Metro: LL Redux and Unturned). I don't know what Unturned gets out of physx.

In my dedicated GPU benchmarking for Metro: LL Redux using the 780 alongside the 980Ti, the minimum frame rates actually went down and the maximums went up while the frame rate variation was clearly reduced over using the CPU for physx calcs.

I have read that some games disable advanced physx effects when there isn't a GPU dedicated to physx.

I wonder if fleX physics (which allow for much more complex particle/fluid based physics simulations) will make dedicated GPU's more worthwhile as PPU's?

Back