• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to pay out for class action for 970 vram fiasco

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:p This was fun! I bet the other 8 GB are stored on those DDR3 modules. He simply Need to connect them properly... but no biggie he is probably well utilized and a by Microsofty certified OEM builder able to do this Task properly and fully legitime. :clap: Oh dear, i had a good laught, thanks.

The difference isn't in speed. ALL 4GB run at the same speed using the same bus width. The problem was with one (of four) partially disabled ROPs/Memory Controller. It has 56 ROPS and 1.75MB of L2 cache. Here is an article that should prove to be pretty informative: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Well, I am sure you meant speed a bit more nebulous than I did, lol!
Performance = speed.
The biggest impact of this configuration is that it creates the segmented memory conditions NVIDIA outlined in their earlier statement. Due to performance issues from the unbalanced ROP/MC partition, NVIDIA segments the memory into a high-performance 3.5GB segment – what they refer to as segment 0 – and a low-performance 512MB (0.5GB) segment containing the rest of the RAM. It is this segmentation that results in some of the previously-unusual memory allocation behaviors and memory bandwidth benchmarks on the GTX 970. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/...cting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2

SMH...

I know Wingman, I know. You see that line there......"well, I am sure you meant speed a bit more nebulous than I did..."... its important to know where I am coming from. If you don't understand, that's ok too.

ED, we're giving you sass because nvidia promised "A" but delivered "B". You are defending them for some god-only-knows reason that we just dont understand. Either you're playing devil's advocate here, or to be frank, you're telling people they are "wrong" for wanting what they actually paid for (regardless of impact or not).

It's hopeless...

All I wanted to do was shed some light on why it's actually happening. People think it's 128 bit or runs slower (as in mhz)... but that wasn't the problem. So I replied with anand's article to clarify....

...and here we are.

In other words, I took ivy's "speed" as mhz and replied to clarify the source of the issue. Yes...I'm too literal!

Better? Can we move on? :)

Last edited:
EarthDog I think the GHz decrease in speed is worse.
This in turn is why the 224GB/sec memory bandwidth number for the GTX 970 is technically correct and yet still not entirely useful as we move past the memory controllers, as it is not possible to actually get that much bandwidth at once when doing a pure read or a pure write. In the case of pure reads for example, GTX 970 can read the 3.5GB segment at 196GB/sec (7GHz * 7 ports * 32-bits), or it can read the 512MB segment at 28GB/sec, but it cannot read from both at once; it is a true XOR situation. The same is also true for writes, as only one segment can be written to at a time. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/...cting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2
GM204_arch.jpg

I just received my $30.00 check from Nvidia, Sweet.:D Did anyone else get theirs?

No, and I signed up last year. I figured they decided they werent going to pay out and someone would have to sue them again. lol

Last edited:
Got mine about 3 days ago. Should make it to the bank today. $90 total for my 3 cards.

How come you are denied the payout?

I wasent denied anything, I just never received a check. I went to the website, filled out all the info with my mailing address and... Nothing. Of course there doesent seem to be anyway to follow up with it either. No one to contact.

Back