• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prognosis for water cooling rig left in storage 5yrs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snaptastic

Ok, don't laugh: my watercooling rig has been left in storage for the last 5 or so years, due to some fairly unique circumstances it was simply boxed up as-is. The liquid was distilled water plus generic radiator additive (all I know is it is green). What condition are the copper parts and eheim pump likely to be in? Presumably some of the parts are still useful today as long as they are not damaged. I realise it's basically a crapshoot but it would be good to get some estimates all the same...
Thanks in advance!

Ok, don't laugh: my watercooling rig has been left in storage for the last 5 or so years, due to some fairly unique circumstances it was simply boxed up as-is. The liquid was distilled water plus generic radiator additive (all I know is it is green). What condition are the copper parts and eheim pump likely to be in? Presumably some of the parts are still useful today as long as they are not damaged. I realise it's basically a crapshoot but it would be good to get some estimates all the same...
Thanks in advance!

When I built my most recent computer, i reused my water setup. Took less than an hour to tear it all apart, clean with vinegar, thoroughly rinse with distilled, and re-assemble.
I'd recommend a full tear down and cleaning, i imagine anything that was working before will still be working now. And it cant hurt to get new tubing.

i had a p4 3.0c was my first water cooled one, i set that to the side at first to get it going again. then 3 yrs or so later i powered it up as is, everything work but yea cooling might have suffered. though at that time we didnt have things like they do now for wcing pc's, as back then i was using vw blue antifreeze with enough in there to give me the blue color i wanted. my tygon tubing was cloudy but not stained some like people report using these dye's ect.

but yea i would tear it down for a cleaning if its a good WB you should be able to take it a part and if you need to grab a toothbrush(one your not going to use any more) give it a bit of a scrubbing. maybe just me but i wouldnt run vinegar through a pump depending on which one it is, if its plastic i dont think the two would play well together. i know there are some kits for wcing cleanings though, might be worth looking into vs just using vinegar.

Back