• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a new GPU, thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I pulled the trigger on the MSI Gaming 6G today, I was just tired of waiting. The EVGA's were a little cheaper but neither had a backplate. OP, let us know what you do.

Thank you everyone for being considerate and taking the time to help me out. I went ahead an bought the EVGA 970 SSC ASX 2.0+ and it's on its way! When it gets here I'm going to sign up for EVGA's Step Up program and trade in my 970 once the 1060's become more available. And given that, I'll probably get the EVGA 1060 Founder's Edition.

Why would you do that without asking Uncle Dominick32? Lol 1060's are 249.99 at your local bestbuy. this reply is coming from a good place my friend! Trust me.

The Galax webstore doesn't?

I can't find anyplace on their website to actually buy a card. http://www.galax.com/en/ or http://galaxstore.net/. It took a while to find the store (second link) but they don't have the 1070 HOF or 1080 HOF in the webstore, but it's on their website (first link). While the 1070 is probably overkill for 1080p, the white pcb, shroud and fans really want to be in my build. LOL. I found a couple places in Australia, but they don't ship here.

Not sure they are out. We lost our contact there and haven't been able to get them back. :(

While it isn't a white pcb... try the msi armor line. ;)

I looked at them. Nah. Have you seen the HOF cards? :drool: I'm going to start a thread to see if there is any help out there. I'm tempted to get a 1080 HOF if I have to jump through hoops. It's "only" $940 US on an Australian site but they won't ship it here. :cry:

Last edited:
Of course. I just said we used to review for them but lost our contact, lol! Or inferred we reviewed their products. Last one I believe was a 970 HOF. :)

Reach out to Galax themselves first...the horses mouth and all.....

FML... Got my GTX 970 SSC today. Installed it, booted up PC, gets stuck on Startup screen (won't even load windows). Call EVGA and after about 45 minutes of talking and trying new things, come to find out the new GPU (or ANY GPU older than GTX 700 series) is incompatible with my motherboard. :mad:!!!!

Now it looks like I'm going to have to build a new PC from scratch... something I'm not really prepared nor experienced to do. TBH, I wouldn't even know where to start as I've never had to research cases, motherboards, memory, fans, CPU's, of more. Only thing I ever did with my computer was install a new GPU, one new fan, and a new PSU. Should have guess... it's never plug and play for me when it comes to this damn GPUs...

what motherboard do you have? It isn't listen in your sig.

I have a hard time believing any modern motherboard wouldn't support those cards unless it is some OEM/Dell motherboard or something (and even then I'd be surprised). I could setup a core2duo system right now and likely toss a 1080 into it and it would work fine (slow, because of cpu bottleneck, but it'd work)

I'm curious how it's not compatible. Just checked the box on my 970 SC and it supports any PCI-E 16 slot

I have a hard time believing any modern motherboard wouldn't support those cards unless it is some OEM/Dell motherboard or something (and even then I'd be surprised).

Prepared to be surprised....everything I've been able to chase down regarding this is that it would be possible to run those cards on this mobo except for the fact that HP never released a bios ver that would.
It looks as if IceKnight366 has a bit of learning to do.

It's the BIOS, apparently the BIOS aren't compatible.
we've actually seen this before. Something about the card being UEFI or something??

Is there a bios update for your mobo? How about the gpu? I'd look there first before building another pc.

Well, I'm all finished! Just thought I would write a little something to one, say thank you to everyone who helped with input and making sure this build went smoothly. Secondly, I thought I would post some pictures! After all, I'm guessing when most people help someone out on here they probably don't get to see the finished product. So here it is!

Old computer size vs new hah
IMG_1325.JPG

Halfway through the build
IMG_1324.JPG

Doing a test run before putting it all in the case
IMG_1322.JPG

Finished! Front view:
IMG_1329.JPG

Side view :D
IMG_1330.JPG

Back