• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phanteks Primo Airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xyz_28

Hi Everyone!

I recently purchased the Phanteks Primo and want to use air cooling for now as I already bought the fans and CPU AIO cooler (Corsair H100i V2). As such, I would like to find out, will the attached airflow that I intend to have provide optimal cooling and airflow within the casing? I am looking to hopefully achieve a positive air pressure as well and I understand that RPM of the fan will also impact the result of this therefore let's assume that they are all running at 1200RPM.

Thanks!

Primo aircool.png

I would turn the rear 140mm fan around to exhaust. That will keep the air moving front/bottom to top/rear. My $.02

Agreed on the exhaust up high, I also worry about my case "sucking up like a stationary roomba" lol

I might consider using that other rear mount rather than both bottom mounts?

Primo aircool.png

Seems like a bountiful amount of air for videocard(s) to suck in and exhaust.

I'm looking at the lower rear fan placement and thinking there might be a PSU in the way. :) I have the Phanteks Luxe (almost identical) and it came with a 200mm fan up front. I took the top 140 out and put a 360 rad in the top. I put the homeless 140 in the bottom ahead of the PSU and the other 140 at the rear/top. I have solid airflow and good temps, but my graphics card is rear exhaust so that's worth noting. The Phanteks cases have some nice filters , too. For maintaining positive pressure with that many fans, rather than run them all at the same speed, just spin the intakes faster than the exhausts. Watch your temps and see if it makes a difference. Fine tuning our systems is why we hang out at OC! And you're going to like building in that case. A lot. :)

Last edited:
I recently went through sort of the same choices in a tighter area.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...oling-with-PWM-fans-not-enough-inputs-an-idea

Turning my cooler and changing the flow seemed to have knocked a few C off my idle temps
(or I just did a better job with the thermal paste?who's to say?)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking at the lower rear fan placement and thinking there might be a PSU in the way. :)

Nah the case is awesomley huge, I thought the same and researched it.

Fits in a paneled area out of sight.

My bad entirely! I wasn't aware (obviously, now LOL) that the Primo mounted the PSU on it's side. The Luxe mounts it flat on the bottom. Good catch! :thup:

Agreed on the exhaust up high, I also worry about my case "sucking up like a stationary roomba" lol

I might consider using that other rear mount rather than both bottom mounts?

View attachment 181793

Seems like a bountiful amount of air for videocard(s) to suck in and exhaust.

Reason for flipping the top rear to intake instead of exhaust was to provide cool air that the radiators can use. Or is that not a valid concern?

If the bottom rear is mounted instead won't it have conflict since air will be coming in from front, bottom and rear?

- - - Updated - - -

I recently went through sort of the same choices in a tighter area.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...oling-with-PWM-fans-not-enough-inputs-an-idea

Turning my cooler and changing the flow seemed to have knocked a few C off my idle temps
(or I just did a better job with the thermal paste?who's to say?)

- - - Updated - - -

Nah the case is awesomley huge, I thought the same and researched it.

Fits in a paneled area out of sight.

Nice. I am looking to implement something similar to ensure the CPU receives cool air. If all your top and rear fans are for exhaust and it shaves off a few degrees, i might just do the same.

Using a radiator and block could be different, you may be right and want the more cool air for the radiator where I being air cooled worry a bit more about air flow.

Since it is a simple flip on that 140 fan on the back experimentation seems the easy and obvious choice. ;)

Like I said, a 2-3c change also may have been me doing a better job with thermal paste or the cooler placement since I spun it 90 degrees?

Using a radiator and block could be different, you may be right and want the more cool air for the radiator where I being air cooled worry a bit more about air flow.

Since it is a simple flip on that 140 fan on the back experimentation seems the easy and obvious choice. ;)

Like I said, a 2-3c change also may have been me doing a better job with thermal paste or the cooler placement since I spun it 90 degrees?

Haha that is true. Thanks for the feedback!

I will be sure to test it out once Asus decide to deliver my graphics card.

Back