• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best use of 4P machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think the AS cares how many cores a PC has, I think it has to do with the WU it's self, something I read on F@H forums. 1 thing you can do is set 1 slot for 8 or 16 cores, get a a4 WU the pause it and change the core to 48 or 64, but then you would be a slave to it changing it back and forth :)

The WU usually restarts if you change the qty of cores, also A4 WU do not work well with anything above 24 threads, hence the restriction.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nathan! Good to know. I'd prefer to run v6 in Linux actually. However, before I cranked up this v7 client I was unable to get ANY assignment with v6 in the same VM (32-cores). Perhaps the AS is seeing the logical core count of the machine as opposed to the number of threads specified in the v6 client arguments, i.e. -smp 16, for example. I'll finish up these units and then adjust the VM core count to 24 and see if I can get an assignment.

Ah, the Kraken... been a while... I have v0.6 here on my server. Looks like v0.7-pre15 is the latest. Says it only works for A3 and A5 cores... I cannot recall the last time I saw an A3 assignment, A5 being dead of course; A4 is all I get. Do you happen to know the flag combination that may run A3 work on v6? Looks like there are plenty of A3 projects still in production.

Sorry should have specified the v7.4.4 client in my post - its the only client guaranteed to get work. No combination of flags that I have tried will allow me to get any A3 WU on either v6 or v7, I know the servers show as being up but no work is being sent out.

Kraken will work on A4, its just not known if its as useful as on the A3/A5 cores. Download all the cores, then run the kraken install. it should do A3,A4 and A5.

10-4 Nathan... I'll give a single 24-thread slot a try. I will report that I've gone to two 12-thread slots and it's cut production by more than 50% vs two 16-thread slots... so that's definitely not the way to go with these 6174s. This is running p903x and p904x series WUs.

A single 24-thread slot produced a small percentage better than a 16-thread slot. So it looks like 16-threads is the sweet spot for my 6174s. Two 16-thread slots seem to scale pretty well, with one usually outperforming the other by a small percentage. I'll try three 16-thread slots next to see if the scaling holds, although I don't plan on using that configuration full time. Also, it doesn't appear that DLB is kicking in so I'll be giving the Kraken a go here soon as well.

A single 24-thread slot produced a small percentage better than a 16-thread slot. So it looks like 16-threads is the sweet spot for my 6174s. Two 16-thread slots seem to scale pretty well, with one usually outperforming the other by a small percentage. I'll try three 16-thread slots next to see if the scaling holds, although I don't plan on using that configuration full time. Also, it doesn't appear that DLB is kicking in so I'll be giving the Kraken a go here soon as well.

How is the ppd on the 6174s now that core a7 has shown up?

Back