• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5: Bad BIOSes, No Post, Out of Warranty, Trying to Fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

I'm in a bit of a jam and was hoping to get some advice.

Yesterday I went to reboot my computer and was greeted by a BIOS corrupted message. It said it was restoring from the backup BIOS, but it was frozen at 0% with no progress for close to half an hour. I tried to reboot and was greeted with the same message and it started restoring right away, but this time the progress bar went to 47% and froze. Another reboot later and now I'm stuck with a motherboard that doesn't post and continuously reboots trying to switch between BIOSes. And to add insult to injury, the manufacturer warranty expired July 31st.

I started researching ways to restore a corrupt BIOS and came across a few suggestions online. There are clips you can use to clip on to a soldered chip and flash it with a EEPROM flashing hardware. Does anyone have experience with this? Would this work in my situation? I don't have the funds for a professional repair or replacement and I don't think I can de-solder and re-solder a new chip in its place.

Here are examples of the clip and the EEPROM flasher:

SOIC Clip
EEPROM Flashing Hardware

I would be using the flashrom utility with the BIOS downloaded from Gigabyte's support site

Dude, its August 2nd. I would contact Giga NOW and see what they will do for you. If not, THEN I would start looking for BIOS chips, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke with Gigabyte and they offer out of warranty BIOS flashing for $15 plus shipping both ways. Not too bad considering.

Their support site is rather confusing. I ran the board's serial number to see if it was indeed out of warranty and it turns out it's still covered. I forgot that I had it replaced about 6 months after purchase using an in-store product replacement plan. But when I filled out the repair request form it said that it was out of warranty...

Oh well, we'll see what they say. $15 is a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Back