• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatgun for Sleeving?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leegit

I'm planning on custom sleeving for my PSU and a couple fans that came unsleeved. I'll sleeve all 3 wires on the fans with one sleeve first for practice then move to sleeving the PSU, each wire individually. I've read through a couple of the guides on the subjects but still on the fence about heatshrink and the heatgun.

I already bought enough Paracord 550 for my needs. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of heatshrink is best for individually sleeved wires? I know I don't want to use the heatshrink with adhesive, its a bad idea... but what about the shrink ratio? 2:1 or 3:1? Should I go pre-cut or cut them myself? Also, I'd like to get a heatgun for the shrinking. Anyone have some recs on a decently priced heatgun that gets the job done? :shrug:

I'd buy different diameter in complete lengths you'll find it shrinks over length once heated. So you may as well get it off the reel to enable some experimentation for the perfect lengths.

Heat gun? I just use an old paint stripper gun or even a lighter for a quick fix.

Consider clamping cables as and when you get shrinking as it turns to tripe with a bit of heat and can be awkward to get a good finish when cables and plugs resist and pull the sleeve.

Last thing... Take your time heating from a distance evenly. You can overcook it and make it look a tad bumpy or even frazzled.

It's easy and strangely satisfying after a few attempts :)

Ahh so it shrinks radially and axially. Didn't think about axially shrinkage. Okay, I'll definitely cut my own lengths then. I don't have a paint stripper gun but I have a lighter. I had heard that it's easier to overcook with a lighter so that's why I was thinking a heatgun would be better albeit more expensive. You're right that a simple fixture to hold them would help make the whole thing easier. I'll try some testruns on my fans I need to sleeve with a lighter first. :thup:

or if you have one a soldering iron but careful of heating it up to much.
here is a video to help with choosing the right heat shrink

Lighter?!! Soldering Iron?!! Huzzah Whaaat!!

Hey-You can't proceed with this proj without the proper tools!!!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-HT1000-1200-Watt-Heat-Gun-0503008/100048744

bfdd5b34-9d81-479f-8008-f59d5425d9e9_400.jpg

$20 frarcking bucks!

So yea, heat gun, paint removal gun, set stuff on fire gun. Its all the same.
Check out this post:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7945248&viewfull=1#post7945248

for a few tips, as you can see I own that exact heat gun and it works great! Low/High setting.

Now, if your significant other questions such a purchase, You need to find a paint project fast, or any other excuse to get a new tool.
Luckily my dog never questions any of my purchases:cool:

Trust me, it will make all the difference in the world over time.
Just be careful of your cordage. That stuff goes up in smoke like "Pliff". Use the technique illustrated in post to avoid this.
Have fun, and yes it is a little satisfying. Doing cables/pinning/sleeving in kinda a Zen activity for me, like soldering...

Cheers

Hey-You can't proceed with this proj without the proper tools!!!!
Now, if your significant other questions such a purchase, You need to find a paint project fast, or any other excuse to get a new tool.
Luckily my dog never questions any of my purchases:cool:

Just tell her you will be using her blow dryer for the job unless you get a heat gun and you will be able to get your new heating gun the same day!!!

Back