• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio output question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just make sure it's a HVIC or SMD MOSFET based unit. Those perform better than the old IPM and through hole MOSFET designs.

Mike. Did you read my response sir? Of course you can say digital / analog conversion is not needed with POWERED digital speakers. But did you see where I wrote assuming traditional analog speakers are used ?The flaw in that logic is is 99% of the world is using a 5.1/7.1 receiver with standard analog speaker outs to traditional loudspeakers. That argument really holds no validity .

And again however you want to spin it and whatever you want to call it, Digital to Analog Conversion still exists 100% in receivers. It is just completely wrong to say that it does not .
Assuming The gentleman has a GTX970 sending HDMI out digital signal -> receiver digital signal -> analog signal through speaker wire to speakers.
How is that ^^^ achieved?

In order for an original digital signal to be Outputed to analog it must be changed or converted from digital. This is pretty basic audio 101 here. I'm sure you are familiar with audioholics.com? One of the top audiophile websites on the net. Here is what they say about DAC's:
"
A Digital to Analog Converter, or DAC, takes your digital content and transforms it into analog so that your system can amplify it and play it through your speakers. If you think you already have DACs in your system, you would be correct. Anything that can accept a digital signal and output sound must include a DAC. This includes your phone, MP3 player, receiver, AV processor, computer, laptop, CD/DVD/Blu-ray player with analog outputs, wireless speakers, clock radios, and more.
"
http://www.audioholics.com/frequent...-need-an-external-digital-to-analog-converter

And I still believe that using to2 hDMI outputs for a simple Dolby Digital or DTS 7.1 setup from a PC totally overkill and not needed . Once again, 99% of the world using PC content to 7.1 receiver to big screen TV is simply using one HDMI cable from the GPU to the receiver. It's just a lot easier and was designed for high bandwidth and ease of use . Don't get me wrong some audiophiles still use optical spdif with HDMI video out or like you said a dual cable setup. But to be honest, just buy a high-speed HDMI cable for seven dollars on Amazon and plug it into your 7.1 receiver from your GTX 970 . Ones and zeros fellas. Ones and zeroes. I mean we could argue about this all day , but the fact of the matter is DAC still exists .

Last edited:
Read a bit about how Delta Sigma actually works.
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/DeltaSigma.html
In particular, near the bottom is a (simplified) diagram of how a digital amplifier works. The modulator does half the conversion to analog and the LC filter does the other half.
In filterless amplifiers, there is no output filter and the inductance of the speaker itself acts as the low pass filter. Technically, it means the speakers themselves do the other half of converting to analog.

The point of using two HDMI cables is not better audio quality (it doesn't make a difference there) but rather avoiding lag and not requiring the receiver to be on just to get display. An alternative solution if both the display and receiver support HDMI ARC is to connect the PC to the display and let ARC handle the audio, but that has the disadvantage of requiring the display to be on to get audio.

Back