• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh M.2 Format...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Okay so I have a pile of parts waiting for to put together at home
Among them is an Asus Rampage V Edition 10 and a Samsung 950 512Gb M.2 SSD.
My question is will I be able to plug the M.2 into the motherboard and install
Windows 10 on it without any issues? Or is there another route I have to take?
I remember seeing in some reviews of the M.2 that people were having issues with
formatting the M.2 and I'd like to know what the best approach I can take is.
Any help is much appreciated!

Only one of two things happen with this new and impressive technology . #1 it goes smoothly
OR...
#2 it's not recognized during install. In that case go to this link and download NVME Drivers for Windows 10 /8/7clean install and put them on a USB stick. Install them during fresh install from USB stick and voila, you will see your drive and be able to format and direct install.

You should have few to no difficulties. Just your settings in BIOS that kinda thing.
But, after installed be sure to update to the Samsung NVME driver....it'll improve performance a fair bit.

Thank you very much!
I'll save this link for future reference :)

- - - Updated - - -

I did read somewhere that there were some BIOS changes that possibly need to be made.
I'll make sure I look that up before I try as well.
And thanks for the info on updating that driver!

Are there drivers for non Windows OS for M.2 drives, or expired OS like Windows XP, if non-Windows OS and WinXP are dual booting with Windows 10?
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Skylake
Drive: OCZ RD400 bare M.2, no PCIe card.

Are there drivers for non Windows OS for M.2 drives, or expired OS like Windows XP, if non-Windows OS and WinXP are dual booting with Windows 10?
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Skylake
Drive: OCZ RD400 bare M.2, no PCIe card.

At Samsung all I find are Win7-10 drivers.

Since M.2 drives came out after the expiration date of Windows XP, this would be a custom driver, that I am wondering if someone came across anywhere? People sometimes make unsigned drivers. I have some for cards that officially had no drivers for Windows 7/8/10 and they work!

Well...as long as you'd be running in sata achi mode, wouldn't XP natively support them?
There might be a small speed hit using win drivers though.
However...if I should run across any tried unsigned drivers, I'll certainly let'cha know.

Back