• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone keeps trying to change my walmart (and steam) password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

Got a password reset code emailed to me from walmart earlier, updated my password as there's no link in help about reporting this (they tell you to do so but it isn't mentioned). Got an email about 3 hours afterwards with another reset request.

About a week ago I got a steam reset request from Vietnam, only just changed that password today. The steam email said they actually tried to login with my correct username and password but steamguard thwarted them.

I think I got another one from twitter a couple of months ago, but I was in Japan around then, so it could have been an alert from a new ip.

The strange thing is that I haven't used my walmart account since 2012!

Do you use entirely separate passwords for all of your accounts?

Do you use entirely separate passwords for all of your accounts?

Two different passwords, I could never remember passwords if I had a different one for each and every of my various accounts. I use random letters for forums and an uppercase/lowercase/random letters for gaming account, only the first few letters are the same as the forum accounts. My secret answer is something irrelevant to the question, and the only person that could possibly guess what it is died some time ago - although that was their password. Didn't have any password problems when he was alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you've been spoofed...

I haven't been running antivirus lately since all options seem to be equally bad (autodeleting files, prompts every single time) but I'm extremely careful with what I download and don't touch any exe is it has telltale signs or looks suspicious. Standard windows firewall and malwarebytes. Is there anything else I require?

It almost sounds like the individual(s) have access to your email as well.

I suggest grabbing lastpass. Its a really good password manager.

Your passwords/emails have been compromised. Time to make new emails with new passwrods, migrate accounts to them, change all your old passwords to new ones, everything unique. I would use multiple "throw-away" emails for each account until your sure you didn't leave an breadcrumbs for the "individuals" to follow, then switch over to one email. Write your new codes down (hard-copy) and store them some place only you can physically access till you memorize them.

It almost sounds like the individual(s) have access to your email as well.

I suggest grabbing lastpass. Its a really good password manager.

Not to butt in or be rude, but I would NEVER suggest any password management or software. These can be easily accessed or compromised should someone find a way into your pc. And if there is ever a bug or vulnerability within the software a hacker could find it and take full advantage of it. Just my advice.

Back