• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1060 or 1070?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

Ok...After looking at some of the reviews on YouTube for the RX 480, I'm leaning more toward the GTX 1060 or 1070. If I'm going to get a new card for my build (which I got the case for today...so I have started gathering the parts :)) I'd like the card to at least be able to do 60 FPS in modern games like Witcher 3 and AC Syndicate (I know they came out last year, but they are still semi modern), and Mass Effect Andromeda when it finally comes out next year. The only thing holding me back from the 1060 is the 6 GB of video memory. I know it's a lot now, but with games getting more and more demanding, is it worth it to go with a 1060 if I would have to upgrade to a 1070 in a year or two? Or should I go for the 1070 now (although the aftermarket cards are expensive, I'm looking to spend $300, maybe $350, but some of the 1070's are over $400)?

if you are at 1080p the 1060 will do the job, as it punches with the 980, non ti cards.
if you have any doubts, get the 1070 and sit back and smile.

The 6gb won't be an issue, really. There is a title or so that can go over 4gb now so... I wouldn't worry about it.

That said, get the best you can/want to afford. If it was me and I don't change gpus a lot, I'd go 1070.

Ok...now I'm liking and looking really hard at the ASUS STRIX 1070...but I had a question one of you might be able to help me with. ASUS' site says to check my chassis and motherboard dimension to make sure the card fits in and on said items. The card is nearly a foot long, 11.73 inches according to ASUS. In my new ARC Mini R2 case that's not a problem, I just take out the top HDD cage and I'm good to go. What does ASUS mean by "motherboard dimension"? Does anyone think the STRIX wouldn't fit on an mATX board? Anyone have a problem with their card, whether it's MSI or ASUS or Gigabyte or whatever, not fitting on their motherboard? I've never seen a video card company say "check your motherboard dimension to make sure said card fits".

Something I didn't think of when I bought the ARC Mini R2...what about the height of graphics cards? I realize the case is big enough for the length of almost anything, but before I spend $400 or more on a 1070, I'd like to put the question out there to the community. What cards are people fitting in this case height wise? I see the ASUS STRIX card is 5.3 inches high...does that fit in the case? I've been looking and unfortunately haven't been able to find either from pcpartpicker or anywhere else for that matter AIB 1070's or 1080's fitting in mATX cases. I really like the black look of the ASUS card for the black ARC Mini R2 that I bought, but if it doesn't fit, it's no big deal.

All 'large' cards like that are roughly the same size. If the specs of the case don't tell you half height required, than most will work. Or it will show the max size, priod. What does it say?

Thanks for the reply, EarthDog. I don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday. The case can accommodate CPU coolers 165 mm tall, so I checked 5.3 inches and that is only 134.6 mm. If it fits coolers nearly 6.5 inches high, the card should fit just fine.

My suggestion for people asking about new GPUs is to stick with what your max resolution will be.

For 1080p monitors: RX 480 for price performance. The 1060 can do it plus give you upgrade potential. 480X requires overclocking to branch into 2K.

For 1440p or 2560 Ultra-wide: RX480/1060 for low end money saving. 1070/980Ti for upper end. Both the 1070 and 980Ti have a large potential to branch into WQHD or True 4k.

For WQHD or 4K: 1070/980Ti for low end, 1080 for WQHD sweet spot, Titan X Pascal for 4K sweet spot.

If your doing mini form factor, you will need to go back a generation until the latest cards get updated. mini form factors are one of the last cards to get adopted into the portfolio.

You can't sticky a post, only a thread. Outside of that...

1. 2K - 2048x1080. 2560x1440 is not 2K (regardless what newegg calls it). If we were literally talking 2K, a 480X could handle it considering how few pixels (%) different it is.
2. There is a mini form factor 1060. No need to go last gen -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4487024&cm_re=gtx_1060-_-14-487-024-_-Product

That suggestion isn't new honestly. its what we all go by when we ask. Great information (corrected) and it is something we all use. :)

Newegg filter ftw! You are correct. There isn't currently one out. The reference board is a shorty though so, we won't be waiting long. :)

My suggestion for people asking about new GPUs is to stick with what your max resolution will be.

For 1080p monitors: RX 480 for price performance. The 1060 can do it plus give you upgrade potential. 480X requires overclocking to branch into 2K.

For 1440p or 2560 Ultra-wide: RX480/1060 for low end money saving. 1070/980Ti for upper end. Both the 1070 and 980Ti have a large potential to branch into WQHD or True 4k.

For WQHD or 4K: 1070/980Ti for low end, 1080 for WQHD sweet spot, Titan X Pascal for 4K sweet spot.

If your doing mini form factor, you will need to go back a generation until the latest cards get updated. mini form factors are one of the last cards to get adopted into the portfolio.

Great info Dolk. I looked at the ASUS STRIX 1070 and the RX 480 is $200 less. I'm looking to spend $300 to $350 or less. Since the partner 1070's are in the 400 dollar range they are out for me for now. If the partner boards for the 480 ever come in stock somewhere, that will be what I go with. Thanks again for all the great responses everyone.

Back