• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL vs Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mach54

Hello,
I need to take a new internet connection at my place. I want to know which is the better option, DSL or cable. I will use it for social media access and online gaming. SO which conection would be the best? Please help me choose.

More than likely Cable is the better option, what do you have available to you?

DSL: (Digital Subscriber Line) provides you with an internet signal over the telephone lines which run to your home.

Cable: Cable internet provides you with an internet signal over the coaxial cable lines which run to your home.

lol.... we know what they are.

As others have said, Cable generally offers faster speeds but that may not be the case in your area.

What you need to find out is the speeds that the different companies are offering. They will be listed as upload speed and download speed.

Price might be a big factor too, so check out both.
By us, DSL is half the cost of cable per speed but 12meg is our fastest DSL.
I chose to pay more for higher speed Cable.

It depends on what speeds you have available.
And if you have cable running to your home or if you are near a DSL switch. You may only have one option.

That said, you probably have both options to pick from. I would choose the largest data cap over speed personally.

I would choose the largest data cap over speed personally.
I dread the day our isp puts a data cap on our internet, we use it for everything. There's always at least one computer (if not multiple computers) in the house streaming something, not to mention gaming...

My data cap is my lousy speeds. (DSL) I'll be moving up to a whole 12-20 Mbps next month. And yes, I don't understand the speed range either. I suspect it will be 12 Mbps unless CenturyLink is checking it. Then it will be 20 Mbps. CL also says to only expect "80%" of the speed promised.

Back