• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it matter if I leave this plugged into my motherboard now that I'm only run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

nOVhXW3.png

Does it matter if I leave this plugged into my motherboard now that I'm only running one card now?

Despite what it says, I was prompted to plug it in with only two video cards, as a message before the bios/motherboard startup info came up. I guess having my capture card plugged into the x1 pcie triggered it. Just worried because I think I have a splitter cable running to it, as I couldn't get the original cable that close to the board. If I'm only using one card, it won't try to draw the power that this thing is for, right?

What does your picture say? You literally posted your own answer.

I would think the worst that would happen if not plugged in but needed to be would be no boot/instability/crash.
Then you'd plugger up and be good to go...no?

What does your picture say? You literally posted your own answer.

It doesn't say "if you're only running one card, doing this could damage your system" so no, I still don't know if it will be harmful to leave it plugged in when only running one card.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think the worst that would happen if not plugged in but needed to be would be no boot/instability/crash.
Then you'd plugger up and be good to go...no?

My question is, is it harmful to be plugged in with only one card, not whether it's harmful not to with more than one card

It isn't harmful, it's simply useless to have the extra cable run.

It is optional to keep it plugged in. If it is left plugged in with only one GPU, it will not harm a thing. If it was a problem to keep it in with only one card, the manual would have stated that explicitly. :)

If you don't need it, remove it... if only for aesthetics. ;)

Back