• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's not always the motherboard when your having trouble with memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean by this?

Do you mean thicker copper microstrip/stripline traces on the mobo? That would allow for higher current (i.e. voltage) leading to more OC potential but also higher conductor losses...

Actually the thicker traces would have less resistance, a lower conductor voltage drop and thus less conductor losses for power/ground circuits. E=IxR Ohms law. Signal traces are a different issue.

That's surprising with the Gigabyte boards, they are usually a go-to with their "extra copper" and I thought more comparable to a "ROG tier" board?

Strange, I usually buy Gigabyte but for some reason I never even considered them this build, maybe I subconsciously noticed.

As for DDR4 not being guaranteed over 3200, I don't think any really currently guarantee over 2666, everything else is (* overclocked speed)

Older Gigabyte boards were way to go. I was recommending Gigabyte for years and at work we were selling computers mainly based on their boards as their lower series were always more reliable than ASUS, MSI and ASRock. However it started to change couple of years ago ( 5-6 ). ASRock decided to compete with the best series, ASUS moved all production to better factories and Gigabyte was making more mobo series but worse prepared. There is also MSI which improved all their motherboard series in last ~2-3 years. Before that we could hear about faulty power section or other issues pretty often ( on AMD boards I think there are still some issues but Intel series are pretty solid ).
I'm not recommending Gigabyte Z8x, 9x and 1xx series because of many various issues and because I had to make RMA on their boards way too often ( only on OC/SOC series about 6 times ). Compatibility issues are often corrected by new BIOS but users have to wait couple of months. Like with Z170 series, BIOS which was fixing memory compatibility issues was released 4-5 months after boards premiere ( for all Z170 boards ). For the same ASRock/ASUS users didn't have to wait at all as all was prepared before premiere.
In some cases GB is releasing new PCB revision instead of any fix. There are boards with 5 PCB versions but barely any BIOS updates.
I'm not saying that all GB boards are bad but simply you can't be sure what you will get buying their motherboard and if there is any issue then you can't be sure it will be ever fixed.
OC/SOC boards are not anywhere close to ROG quality. Look good, feature list is long and OC results in rankings are great ... but are not as reliable as ROG and you can't count on any additional support. Also in Z8x/Z9x series all BIOS versions had more or less bugs which were never fixed. Not to mention many of them were dying without any special reason. As I said I made 6 RMA on these boards and with all were similar issues. I also had some good OC results but in total I was waiting more for RMA than I was benching.

The highest available IC on mass market is 2400. So SPD without any OC looks like 2400 17-17-17. The same from new Hynix and Micron series. Samsung kits are still 2133. What I meant by not guaranteed above 3200 is that up to 3200 nearly all motherboards were tested. Below specs/tested memory list is usually info that above 3200 is not guaranteed because of many factors like IMC quality. Everything above 2133/2400 will be OC as there is no IC which runs higher. Every XMP profile is OC profile but it was tested by manufacturer and is guaranteed to work on tested by them motherboards.

Older Gigabyte boards were way to go. I was recommending Gigabyte for years and at work we were selling computers mainly based on their boards as their lower series were always more reliable than ASUS, MSI and ASRock. However it started to change couple of years ago ( 5-6 ). ASRock decided to compete with the best series, ASUS moved all production to better factories and Gigabyte was making more mobo series but worse prepared. There is also MSI which improved all their motherboard series in last ~2-3 years. Before that we could hear about faulty power section or other issues pretty often ( on AMD boards I think there are still some issues but Intel series are pretty solid ).
I'm not recommending Gigabyte Z8x, 9x and 1xx series because of many various issues and because I had to make RMA on their boards way too often ( only on OC/SOC series about 6 times ). Compatibility issues are often corrected by new BIOS but users have to wait couple of months. Like with Z170 series, BIOS which was fixing memory compatibility issues was released 4-5 months after boards premiere ( for all Z170 boards ). For the same ASRock/ASUS users didn't have to wait at all as all was prepared before premiere.
In some cases GB is releasing new PCB revision instead of any fix. There are boards with 5 PCB versions but barely any BIOS updates.
I'm not saying that all GB boards are bad but simply you can't be sure what you will get buying their motherboard and if there is any issue then you can't be sure it will be ever fixed.
OC/SOC boards are not anywhere close to ROG quality. Look good, feature list is long and OC results in rankings are great ... but are not as reliable as ROG and you can't count on any additional support. Also in Z8x/Z9x series all BIOS versions had more or less bugs which were never fixed. Not to mention many of them were dying without any special reason. As I said I made 6 RMA on these boards and with all were similar issues. I also had some good OC results but in total I was waiting more for RMA than I was benching.

The highest available IC on mass market is 2400. So SPD without any OC looks like 2400 17-17-17. The same from new Hynix and Micron series. Samsung kits are still 2133. What I meant by not guaranteed above 3200 is that up to 3200 nearly all motherboards were tested. Below specs/tested memory list is usually info that above 3200 is not guaranteed because of many factors like IMC quality. Everything above 2133/2400 will be OC as there is no IC which runs higher. Every XMP profile is OC profile but it was tested by manufacturer and is guaranteed to work on tested by them motherboards.

The Gigabyte Z170 HD3 board in my signature is doing fine now that I did a RMA for my G.SKILL 3200Mhz CL14-14-14-34.

Maybe they did not fix your GA board correctly 6 times. Did the boards work or did they have new problems when you received them? To bad you can't sue them for all your headaches and time and money spent also the loss since they did not fix the problem in the end. I find people here switching from one motherboard brand to another calling the other brand names when it works out. The problems look equal to me from the Forums and Google search. There is one common thread about CPU freezing and most of them have ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger they have had 8 stability improvement updates from 2015/11/09 to 2016/08/05 they have been working on the problem for 9 months and that is not the only Asus board with stability problem updates. Here is the thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...set-button-doesn-t-work?p=7950972#post7950972
updates https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/
updates http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
It goes on, I'm tired of looking up ASUS problems.

I had couple of Z87X-OC and Z97X-SOC. Some of them were replaced to new, some were fixed without info what was faulty ( for sure 2x power section and at least 2x BIOS ). Both boards had similar design and about the same BIOS with similar issues which were not fixed for over a year after release. Even when I sold last Z97X-SOC then by mistake I got mail with info that new owner made RMA 3 months after he got the board from me.

I had Ranger and it required 2 BIOS updates ( took ASUS 2 weeks ) to add higher frequency memory support. I sold it after 2-3 weeks but I had no issues at all with this board. It just had too low voltage limits and was missing couple of settings in BIOS. I also had no issues with Hero except that BIOS died ( maybe related to the way I was overclocking ) and after RMA I sold it.

Recently I had problems on MSI Z170 and I thought it's motherboard issue but it was faulty CPU ( delidded i3 ). It was randomly freezing or losing contact with monitor regardless if I was using discrete graphics or IGP. Like OS was working but there was no signal info on monitor. It also didn't work at more than ~3000 memory clock. It was often showing VGA or memory error on LEDs.

Actually the thicker traces would have less resistance, a lower conductor voltage drop and thus less conductor losses for power/ground circuits. E=IxR Ohms law. Signal traces are a different issue.

Right. For an ideal transmission line, a larger cross-section for the conductor allows it to carry higher current but the resistance per length will be lower. They are inversely proportional. Since V = I x R (why do you use E?), the voltage drop will be dependent on the relationship between the increase in I versus the decrease in R when changing the geometry of the transmission line. A couple quick 2D simulation of a microstrip/stripline could show us how they are related.

I don't have access to that kinda of software at the moment :rain:

Back