• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest SSDs that you would recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reading, it does appear they didn't come with SSD originally. So disregard my post about using one!
To get back to the original question though, I have cheap ADATA 120gb drives running in two computers now and haven't had any issues with them. They were $30 a piece at Newegg.

Where do you get adaptors to hold SSDs in place when you take out the DVD drive tray and put your SSD where the DVD tray used to be.

Where do you get adaptors to hold SSDs in place when you take out the DVD drive tray and put your SSD where the DVD tray used to be.

My SSD came with a 2.5" to 3.5" tray, and my case came with a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter. I'll look around and see if I still have them if you want them.

JUTFS post in my thread?
The reason I didn't Just Use the F Search is because I wanted to ask fellow forum members where they got theirs, since I need them in bulk to replace many family laptops per my original post...

This is a storage forum so if someone asked about
microSD storage recently for example - I would have told them about a special Newegg business was running for a 200GB microSD card for $40 at that time.

So likewise, maybe someone here knows of a sale for those too in bulk so I asked.

Pretty please with sugar on top no more JUTFS pots in my threads but I am grateful for your advice on the differences between modern SSDs, that was really helpful and I couldn't have gotten that advice anywhere else.

Sorry. You asked where to get them. You did NOT ask about a sale, or mention you needed them in bulk. I answered the question as asked.

How was I, or anyone, including JeffG who posted in the same light - yet didn't get **** from you, supposed to know you wanted a specific location, on sale, and in bulk????!!!! Say what you mean and you are more likely to get the responses you are looking for from those that respond. ;)

Anyway, after re-reading you post, I missed an important part. Am I to understand that you want a SLIM adapter? Why not simply put the SSD where the HDD was. You said earlier they don't need a lot of storage, so why take away the ODD? Regardless, here is the link to where you can buy one. I have no idea where you can get these in bulk. Hopefully there is someone on this forum that has done this and can tell you where to get them in bulk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...r+12.7mm+ODD+Laptop+Drive+Bay&N=-1&isNodeId=1
If that link wasn't enough: https://www.google.com/search?q=12....rome..69i57.9866j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thank you.
All family laptops are identical and have 750GB hard drives in them. They all store all the music of all family members in separate folders and all the pictures everyone has, they all store everything anyone would ever need with ample storage space left over. But that's because of the 3/4 of a terabyte hard drive, obviously taking out six of those would change the family computing experience on the road.

So really the only relevant question is where to put the large mechanical drives, I am guessing in the bay and then place the small SSDs where they used to be?

6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as placement goes. I can't think of a reason for either to be in a specific location honestly. Unless one of the ports were SATA II or whatever (you can find out by looking up the specs for the laptops).

How much space is really needed? Perhaps its a good idea to go 256GB SSD and scrap the $16 adapter? Certainly going all SSD will cost more than an adapter, but... its another way to do it. Less parts to swap, etc. Trion 150 256GB is $66. You are already close to that with having to purchase a $16+ adapter and a Trion 150 if that is the drive you decide to go with. I guess it just matters if it has enough space. I would also consider your time and effort. Both on the initial installation and potential problems down the line. An adapter is just another part that can fail. But, if it can't fit on a 240GB drive, then, you would want to go two drives. Id much rather get a single larger drive if possible.

Are the laptops SATA 6Gbps BTW?

EDIT: If 240GB is right on the edge, here is a 275GB Crucial MX300 Woomack was talking about for $69: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820156150

EDIT2: Just caught this -
ssd's are still no were near being called mature. since how fast the nand shrinks and controllers get updated/tweaked for more IOP/BW.
They are mature. They have been out for YEARS. Are motherboards not mature? CPUs? GPUs? HDDs? But there are die shrinks, BIOS updates, tweaks for more performance?!!! SSDs are plenty mature IMO. It is the nature of the device to do so because of the parts inside of them. I mean, HDDs are getting faster still... are they not mature? Platter density increases and controller tweaks have been improving performance over the last umteen years. Same with SSD except the platters are NAND.

Last edited:
You make a very good case for a single laptop SSD switch, I would recommend anyone in the market for a single laptop SSD replacement to read your post.

For a six laptop replacement, the funding problem becomes an issue... All six store more than half a terabyte of data each so that on the road, everyone has access to anything and everything with no internet necessary.

I've routinely transferred 40GB blu-rays we own to them and through their HDMI port played them on the road in full 1080p HD.
They are fast enough for everyone's use.

I am looking to take things up to the next level and seeing if it can be done on the cheap.
I really could do this with six 30GB SSDs since the OS partition on each uses about that much.

I do have at least two portable USB optical drives which means the loss of the DVD bay is not a problem whereas the loss of 3/4 of a terabyte hard drive space is a problem as far as these being laptops with access to 100% of all music/pictures/data of everyone.

Or in short form... The data won't fit on a 256GB drive so then cost becomes an issue. Gotcha. :)

In that case, stick with the adapters and the platters for storage!

I've personally had good luck with OCZ Technology's Agility 3 series drives. I've owned three of their 60GB model and two of the 120GB model now, and haven't had any real trouble aside from one borked OS from me having an unstable overclock. I've had quite good luck from buying used SSD's actually, that last two were very low on their power-on-hours counts, one had 8 days powered on time and the other had 12 days powered on time. Far cheaper alternative for someone like me with limited funding for upgrades that doesn't do yearly or bi-yearly upgrades on a regular basis when I can purchase a 120-128GB used SSD for $27-45, compared to paying $70-120 for a 120-128GB SSD new. Used drives are a nice cheap option for backup computers, test benches, or other non-essential computers (or other uses).

OCZ Agility 4, and Vertex 3/4 also look to be good going by reviews.

Corsair Force GT series, Neutron/Neutron XT/Neutron GTX series' ?

Ps3 had an ssd in it???

Not normally, no.

All the PS3's I've owned came with 40-80GB 5400RPM SATA drives with a SATA-I interface in them manufactured by Seagate. I've only owned the fat-model PS3's though (CECHE01, CECHA01, CECHG01, etc), I don't know what shipped in slim-model's, but it was probably a SATA HDD of some sort.

@JeffG, if yours came with an SSD then it would have likely been something a previous owner added in at some point and not something that was there from the factory.

Last edited:
i wouldnt push it on a 30gb ssd, unless they have worked things out better with newer controllers and FW. dont they still when over 75-80% full having reading/writing issues what would cause it to stutter. then just on the off chance you need the extra room cause of an OS update and the write life alone i would have to say a 60gb drive min. i know cost is an issue but you could do say 3 now and 3 later no?

i wouldnt push it on a 30gb ssd, unless they have worked things out better with newer controllers and FW. dont they still when over 75-80% full having reading/writing issues what would cause it to stutter. then just on the off chance you need the extra room cause of an OS update and the write life alone i would have to say a 60gb drive min. i know cost is an issue but you could do say 3 now and 3 later no?
+1

I've been using 60GB SSD's for my benching drives for a year or so now, and they frankly aren't acceptable for usage even with the most basic OS load. I've run out of space multiple times now, while just loading the basic OS and 6-8 benchmarks. Had to start deleting benchmarks and programs so I could fit other benchmarks/programs on the SSD after I'd finished running those initial benchmarks.

Sixty Gigabytes of storage on an OS drive might be acceptable if one has at least one HDD in addition for long-term storage, but probably only then.

I'm planning to move up to 90-128GB minimum so that I can actually have enough space to install all of my benchmarks, programs, and diagnostic tools for when I'm overclocking, benchmarking, or doing basic hardware stress and stability testing.

Last edited:
Storage? No, this is for Windows OS partition only. The 750GB drive is staying for storage.
Of course 60GB alone is not enough for everything.

Just on the off chance the 60 is close to full you mayhave performance issues. Even if just os becuase of updates and write life if you plan on using these for years to xome the 120 is the better option.

Of course 60GB alone is not enough for everything.

Well, that depends on what you're doing with the system, I have a 60GB Force LS as the main drive and it's got enough room for what I'm doing with this machine. Anything else I need is stored on an external 1TB Fantom HDD.
I will suggest getting such a drive if possible for obvious reason, you can switch it on or off manually as needed so it doesn't have to be on unless you want. No need to worry about ejecting it, switching it off manually does the same thing.
ATM this is a nice deal on one of these drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204104

Now..... So far I can report good luck with the Corsair Force LS drives, bought four of these earlier for daily and whatever use.

It's still too early however for me to say these have been reliable, my older Mushkin Chronos 60GB drives were ran for a longer time but didn't make it two years before three out of the four of those died.
SSD is certainly faster but hasn't proven itself as more reliable than HDD's overall or even enough for me to trust these with archivial use like my Fantom is used for.

I agree that 60 GB is restrictive for many nowadays, in my case it's fine but for many of you guys it's not enough, I'd get the biggest one for the best price I could get my hands on and go with it.

Last edited:
Toshiba Q300 Pro.png

So back in the summer of 2016 I ended up buying this 128GB Toshiba Q300 Pro for $40.
That Toshiba drive was MLC, not TLC like most affordable drives today.

So once again other than capacity, other factors are at play when deciding which SSD to buy. Controller makes a big difference as well as terms like SLC, MLC and TLC.

SLC NAND is the only memory which meets all OEM application requirements with high levels of endurance, long life cycles, high reliability and optional wide temperature ranges. SLC (Single Level Cell) NAND was the original NAND architecture and still is made today due to its much higher endurance over the MLC and TLC NAND.

The tradeoff for the lower cost of MLC (Multi Level Cell) NAND is less reliability and 10-20 times less the number of times you can erase/write to the cell.

TLC (Tri Level Cell) NAND's tradeoff is significantly less reliability, less than the MLC components.

With Black Friday coming, I wonder which boot drive to get for my parents this week?
I'll probably give them this Toshiba and get a new one for myself although I'm starting to think I should have maybe bought more Q300 Pros when I could have last summer, since they were MLC.

I ended up getting this for $4.99 since I have the 12.7 mm bay. It worked perfect! Boot drive 128GB and mechanical 750GB on the same laptop!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...={{linkCode}}&tag=mirza-20&linkId={{link_id}}
12.7bay.jpg

Then I got this USB DVD writer when it was on sale for $10 just in case I need to read an optical disc on the laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82KJ3083

USBDVD.jpg

if m.2 is a possibility, then Microcenter.com has the Micron M500 ssd for $49 @ 256gb. Prolly the best bargain I have found. some reviews seem to have issues saying it stutters. But never personally had any issues from the 2 that I have in service

Back