• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest SSDs that you would recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Several family laptops. Identical. Using the same image.
If I wanted to get them going on a small SSD just to install the OS on, 30GB-60GB, what would be the cheapest choices that would include half-way decent SSDs, who would sell them?

Are 60GB drives even cheaper?
Would you let me know what the situation is on the used market, eBay and what not, wisdom of buying a 60GB for even cheaper of possible?

Are 60GB drives even cheaper?
Would you let me know what the situation is on the used market, eBay and what not, wisdom of buying a 60GB for even cheaper of possible?
well for 60gb i have personally have used and would suggest are still going for close to that $37 mark for that 120gb UV400

*edit* after checking newegg agian, since 60gb are out of fashion in a sense the go for roughly the same cost as 120gb. here are a few as an example and these are the ones i would recommend as well as the cheapest. they have some listed i have never heard of the brand before, i think china only but you could roll the dice but they are about $10ish cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301254
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233782
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226677

Mmmm... If there is one thing I would not buy used is a ssd/hdd
nothing wrong with buying used, SSD's i have gotten a few from members here and 3-4 from G@dMan. the important thing is to ask the person if they will run SSD-Life on the drive and provide a SS for you to see drive life and SMART info.

Last edited:
I buy used ssds all the time. Mainly for benching drives but I have one in my home server and one in my daily driver. As long as you have a good backup plan in place there is not a lot of risk.

I buy used ssds all the time. Mainly for benching drives but I have one in my home server and one in my daily driver. As long as you have a good backup plan in place there is not a lot of risk.
+1

Don't hesitate to ask for the SMART data so you can see the drive life left and TB R/W.

Anyway, Id look at the OCZ Trion 150,The difference between that and the slightly older ones linked above are a penance ($7) for most. Before whomever asks, yes, I am aware that it is 20% more than that $35 drive. BUt, the IOPS are faster on the OCZ than the old drives above. Its newer. I would go that route.

UV400 line i thought was rather new and the ECO3 isnt that old either. for the consumer the difference between a 100k IOP drive and 82-85k IOP they wont notice, much less if they even push it that far. other then more BW i didnt notice a difference going from a OCZ Agility 60gb to the Samsung 840 pro i got from G@dman. i dont notice anything between the Vertex EX 120gb to the Mushkin ECO3 240gb other then bw agian. web surfing watching youtube or using powerdvd i cant tell which computer has which drive. my hex core has the 240gb ECO3 and the HTPC mobile I3 370M with pcie 730GT, vertex ex 120, you wouldnt notice if i told you.

i personally think it safe to say any drive with 80k IOPs is going to be fine for alot of people out there, even gamers. higher IOP's is just icing on the cake, ssd's are still no were near being called mature. since how fast the nand shrinks and controllers get updated/tweaked for more IOP/BW.

I was more talking the Force LS being a couple years old. The ECO2 did come out 3/2015. The other drive, 12/2014. I never heard of the last one and would check up on that one as far as the controller and NAND used.

Of course you wouldn't notice the drive web surfing or watching youtube. THe drive wouldn't be in use....... but perhaps that was your point there. If he is looking to save a few bucks, I would go with the ECO2/3 being the newest and most known. Otherwise, if I had a choice, I would prefer the newly released Trion 150. It has a 5 year warranty (worth the $7 for 2 years more to me) and also has the Shield protection which cross ships a replacement. Best warranty in the biz there on the OCZ (details found in our review on the front page ;)) and pretty darn quick for a 'budget' drive.

I was more talking the Force LS being a couple years old. The ECO2 did come out 3/2015. The other drive, 12/2014. I never heard of the last one and would check up on that one as far as the controller and NAND used.
yea never looked into the ECO2 but i can speak to the ECO3 labled that way for newegg i forget what mushkins label is for it. i think the same drive just non_eco name might have a longer warranty. since C6 didnt say how they would be used, i considered most of what people do. that is youtube, websurfing since he was asking about 60gb driver, doesnt like a computer someone might use for gaming on. as you wouldnt be able to fit to many game on there much less the larger ones nearing 30gb.

Of course you wouldn't notice the drive web surfing or watching youtube. THe drive wouldn't be in use....... but perhaps that was your point there. If he is looking to save a few bucks, I would go with the ECO2/3 being the newest and most known. Otherwise, if I had a choice, I would prefer the newly released Trion 150. It has a 5 year warranty (worth the $7 for 2 years more to me) and also has the Shield protection which cross ships a replacement. Best warranty in the biz there on the OCZ (details found in our review on the front page ;)) and pretty darn quick for a 'budget' drive.
yea i should have looked at that zion drive, maybe im still on the old stuff i heard about ocz. namely from the agility 2/vertex 2 days with them dieing alot or having other issues. i guess i feel lucky to have never had a FW update bork a drive or have one check out early. though most of my drives after being written to once just get read from. that is unless there is a game update but now i got that 750 from you, thats where all my games are now. the 5yr warranty is hard to beat for the $7 more that is for sure. as you dont know what drive you might get in the future from them when it dies. just like the ocz powerstream i had, wanted to clean it out one day. opened it up noticed buldging caps on the main side. explained all that to OCZ in the rma process, they said no problem, send us the power supply. they sent some 550watt modular unit, still got it sitting in a box somewhere. might not be a bad unit but not what i was considering a good replacement as i think the internals of the modular unit were from a less manufacture. cant be to choosy though, they did replace the power supply under its 5yr warranty, which was going to be up in a few months. back then a power supply with a 5yr warranty was unheard of unless you got a PC Power & Cooling power supply. dont think it was to many years after the powerstream 520w that ocz bought PC Power & Cooling.

Crucial just released lower capacity MX300 ( 275GB ). They're pretty good and price shouldn't be high. You can also enable additional caching and push all Crucials above 1000MB/s.
I also had a chance to test Kingston UV400. Performance is good but for full bandwidth it requires new platform like Z170 and good drivers. I was able to get 560/530MB/s sequential and up to 30MB/s random 4K read in CDM on 480GB SSD what is good even for higher SATA series.
ADATA is cheap but I'm not really recommending their SSD as all are on slow or old chips. Most are JMicron, old Sandforce etc.
Patriot has some inexpensive and fast SSD. Their Blast SSD are on about the same as higher Mushkins but Patriot has much better firmware and bandwidth in random operations is up to 20% higher.
I don't know what about new OCZ but they're now Toshiba so I expect high quality and good performance.

I recently put together a computer out of completely spare parts, just to have a backup, and I used a 60gb SSD out of a PS3. It was leftover from when I replaced mine with a 500gb, so it was free, but I imagine they're super cheap on the used market. Worked just like any other SSD.

Ps3 had an ssd in ot???

Mine did...do they not normally? I replaced it with a 500gb SSD, still running like a champ years later with a dozen or so games on it.
*I should note, I bought the PS3 second hand. It wasn't nib when i got it*

You sure it was an ssd? When the ps3 came out, ssds weren't exactly cheap or common...

I think you either bought it used and someone upgraded, or you are mistaking a 2.5" HDD for am ssd.

Also: https://www.google.com/search?q=ps3...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I bought the PS3 used a few years back (long after it's initial release) so I guess it's possible someone swapped it out. I bought it with a bad optical drive for $50, tossed in a 500gb SSD and loaded the games on that. Seems to work perfectly. I'm pretty certain it was a SSD though, as the backup PC recognizes it as a SSD.

And then your dropped a 500gb ssd in years ago?How much did that run you???? With all that in mind, I'm thinking you mistook the form factor for being an ssd, but it was really a hdd. A 500gb ssd would have cost you an arm and a leg years ago.

Back