• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about doing the unrecommended!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey everyone,

I have been really enjoying playing ARK with some of my friends the last few days. Problem is, it's a brutal RAM hog. Well, to be honest, it's an everything hog... But particularly a RAM hog. The game suffers with 8gb of RAM or less. Matter of fact, even in 'low memory' mode, windows starts screaming about running out of memory. So I am looking at upgrading to 16gb of memory to my desktop(see sig for specs).

I know the recommended, only 2 dimms used, but here is the kicker: I won't be able to afford a 16gb kit for atleast another month. I still have to do some checking on clearances with my current CPU cooler, but I was thinking about picking up a second set of F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR from gskill. The plan would be to continue running the 4 sticks at 1866 and the CL9 they are rated at. What has been yall's luck hitting that goal? Mind you, I am not overclocking the memory itself, but merely stressing the IMC.

Thanks,
Bluefalcon13

With your small overclock and no overclock on the ram, I personally don't see a problem.
Might have to tweak a little though.

With your small overclock and no overclock on the ram, I personally don't see a problem.
Might have to tweak a little though.

Figured might have to bump the cpu/NB a bit. On a side note, once I get a new pump, and fittings, I am planning on ramping her back up to atleast 4.5ghz, but still, not a huge OC :p

mine runs 16 gigs just fine most do it with no issues, those tend to raise their ugly heads out at 32 gigs.

Well damn. Just took a look, and the snipers are a bit too tall to run 4 sticks with my 212 evo... Yet another reason to get back to water cooling :/

Because of the fan or the heatsink? How much too tall are they?

Fan. It hangs over to the middle of the physical connector, or further. The fan hangs down a good amount too. I can just let ARK sit on the back-burner for a bit. Plenty of other games I can play. TBH, I'd rather not buy more RAM... Gives me more of an excuse to upgrade when Zen is out and well stocked. That and Zen is gonna be DDR4. I think I'll hold out on the RAM and get that mcp55x pump, 3/8 ID fittings, and some tubing. All my other games are fine. ARK can wait till they fix the memory issues.

Back