• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 vs 16 GB of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I run Doom with the rig in sig with no drop below 50 FPS@1080p maxed out... Are you sure there is not something wrong with your Windows install, maybe a malware or a virus? Never heard of any game needing more than 8GB...

It's a fresh install of Windows 7 and I regularly run Hitman Pro so no.

Pretty sure that more and more games just have memory leaks that seldom see patches because they only affect a handful of users.

I have no idea what I could be doing differently or have installed that would create such an effect. Obviously I play DOOM now no issues, it uses about 6GB average since I upgraded my rig - but on my old rig it ate up 7-8GB at times and that's when I'd get massive stuttering and frame drops.

People reported JC3 using only 3.5GB while others reported 7-8GB. I've seen it go as high as 12 for brief moments before calming down.

Last edited:
I'll admit ARK is technically a "work in progress" and it is probably poorly optimized, but this what the gaming industry has become. There are more and more games becoming early access or having some sort of revolutionary graphics engine.

I believe there is some truth there^. The level of hardware available to the average consumer and gamer is at such a high level there is some headroom for sloppy code and optimization. When hardware becomes the limiting factor again the software will be tuned to the limits of the equipment, and then we get new gear and on and on.

It's a fresh install of Windows 7 and I regularly run Hitman Pro so no.

Pretty sure that more and more games just have memory leaks that seldom see patches because they only affect a handful of users.

I have no idea what I could be doing differently or have installed that would create such an effect. Obviously I play DOOM now no issues, it uses about 6GB average since I upgraded my rig - but on my old rig it ate up 7-8GB at times and that's when I'd get massive stuttering and frame drops.

People reported JC3 using only 3.5GB while others reported 7-8GB. I've seen it go as high as 12 for brief moments before calming down.

Then it looks more like memory leak...

I don't like Chrome (a few reasons, RAM usage being one), but Firefox is awful now. The plug in container uses almost as much as the browser, often more. I'm going to try Pale Moon again and see if it's any better.

Part of it is how Windows loads.

The Windows OS doesn't load as much stuff into memory if you have 8 GB versus 16 GB.

I have one machine with 32 GB or RAM, and other with 16 GB of RAM. They both hover at the same "used" value before I load any other programs.

8 GB just isn't enough to cut it anymore...especially on 64-bit operating systems.

With 64bit OS and 32GB, I idle with nothing running around 2.5GB. Put chrome up there and a few tabs, I see a bit over 3GB. Of al lthe games I play, I believe one game takes me over 8GB used.

8GB is typically enough, even for a 64bit OS. However, 16GB is better. If building now, I would go 16GB. 32GB wont be needed by most for a couple of years. 4GB is enough for basic PC use and web gaming.

^seconded.

32GB if you do (very) heavy photo/video editing.

My GF does semi-pro use of Adobe CC PS, InDesign and Illustrator, using Raw files and she did not hit the 16GB mark yet...

Other thing is that when you have more RAM then Windows is often using more RAM ( or not refreshing it so often/keeps old data in RAM for longer ). All depends what applications are in use. Personally I'm barely ever passing 8GB and my PC is sometimes running 24/7 for couple of days. There are single games that are using more than 8GB ( that's OS+game ) but I guess more of them will appear in next months.
RAM price is quite low and most users who are building gaming computers go for 16GB regardless what platform they have. In computers designed for office work I barely ever see more than 8GB. Most of them have single 4GB stick and it's enough for most tasks.

I have seen one game on my PC eat up 12GB of ram. Just the game, with everything else on my PC I was using around 14.5GB of RAM total.

Hope they optimize that game better in time, because 12GB of RAM is a lot to use. Minimum that game uses is around 4-6GB, but 8-12GB is not unusual for me to see.

By comparison the 1-3GB that Firefox eats up doesn't seem that bad.

Last edited:
There is a difference in a game using memory or the game collecting memory. When you first start the game see what it needs for the amount of memory to run, the rest of the time is the amount of memory collection over time.

Yesterday I was playing Black Desert Online on 8GB and after longer active play like exploring map etc., I got system error about lack of system memory. Game crashed with not enough RAM error about 20 mins later. Simply 8GB is not enough for this game and it clearly isn't using virtual memory/page file. It's fine only when you are not moving much on the map as then additional elements are not loading. About the same was with Civilization V on the largest map after 2-3h but then game was slowing down instead of crashing.

It seems (anecdotally) that more and more software is coming with memory leaks. Browsers, games, etc.. I would guess it follows the same pattern as any hardware capability-the better the gear the more sloppy code takes advantage of the fudge factor. They don't start to optimize in earnest until they bump up against the hardware limits. Then we get another generation of hardware and BOOM! off to the races again. That's probably why there is a sub culture of overkill (us :) ) in hardware.

I was playing The Witcher 3, 4 tabs on Edge open, Folding@home running on 1 GPU...memory usage was 14 GB. (I have 32 GB installed on system)

Something must be wrong with your PC, Black Desert Recommended Requirements 6 GB of Ram. http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7996&game=Black Desert Online

There is nothing wrong with his computer. It recommends 6GB for basic settings and general game play. They aren't doing a stress test for somebody who will play the game for several hours. They can't possible predict every move a player will make within a game and players are bound to push the boundaries of the game code and their hardware. I know there is a general understanding on the forum of having an "efficient amount of memory", but the truth really is that technology will always continue to out pace what we have learned to be an acceptable allocation of speed and space.

I don't play WoW anymore, but it is a great example of a game that could be played on a system with only 1GB of RAM and a 256MB graphics card. The minimum requirements to this day are 2GB and a 512MB graphics card at 1024x768... But nobody - or very few people - actually play WoW at 1024x768. You KNOW that you're not going to have a good time trying to play WoW on a dual-core, 2GB, 512MB GFX system. It just won't happen. Not with the addition of UI mods and intensive raids.

This point stays true for every other game out there. Once you get into the more intense moments in the game it WILL push your hardware to it's limits and what we currently believe is an acceptable amount of memory, graphics power, or CPU speed just simply won't cut it. In the case of this thread it is memory. Older games and newer games alike are being updated, modded, and constantly changed in ways that leave their "minimum" and "recommended" specs completely obsolete.

It seems (anecdotally) that more and more software is coming with memory leaks. Browsers, games, etc.. I would guess it follows the same pattern as any hardware capability-the better the gear the more sloppy code takes advantage of the fudge factor. They don't start to optimize in earnest until they bump up against the hardware limits. Then we get another generation of hardware and BOOM! off to the races again. That's probably why there is a sub culture of overkill (us :) ) in hardware.

This is a major factor as well. Games, web pages, and applications all demand more and more resources to run efficiently. Just because you can run version "x" on 8GB of memory doesn't mean you won't be running version "y" in 6 months or a year on 8GB and have the same experience. I have seen this particularly with Starcraft 2. I played the original just fine on 4GB, but as soon as Heart of the Swarm released I was not getting the same performance. So I upgraded to 12GB by adding an additional 2x4GB to my system. Then as they came out with each patch it generally started to use more and more memory to the point where 12GB wasn't enough and I was reviving the same error Woomack is getting (not enough system memory).

I thought there might be something wrong with my system as you have suggested, so I reformatted and was left with the same end result. I simply could not play the game at my desired level of settings with 12GB and run any other program at the same time. The games I prefered to play in the arcade are just giant memory hogs because of the amount of units that are placed on the map at any given time. The bottom line is that there are games out there with specific modes that just EAT memory until you have nothing left (unless you're running 32GB+). Even then I can see in the next 2-3 years some one releasing some sort of revolutionary game that tests systems with excessive amounts of memory when they are set to their maximum settings.

That's the real point for some one like myself - to play the game at the absolute best settings with the best performance and I don't believe you can do that with next gen games having only 8GB of memory. 16GB is probably going to cut it close over the next 2 years and the obvious choice for Gamers is going to be 32GB given it's price point and availability.

It's just not worth the possible bottleneck when you can spend under $100 (based on the fact you've already got 8-16GB) to alleviate the worry of not having enough memory when you go out to buy the latest and greatest game.

Last edited:
Game developers use math to calculate memory specifications, I had programming in college and code is all based on math. When a Black Desert developer says you need 6GB for best play and 4GB is minim required, they have done the math. Game developers sell millions of games, they have game Specifications so the games don't fail.

Back