• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD RX 490

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If AMD was doing so great then most AMD fans wouldn't move to Intel. Check AMD section on OCF. Most AMD users switched sides and they expect AMD to show something good ... but it's constantly delayed and I'm afraid the same story as always will repeat with Zen even though on paper it looks like good CPU. RX480/470 are good GPUs but were released at least 3 months too late to make a difference ( not to mention pcie power fail which could be solved before premiere ). We were hearing about them since the beginning of this year while premiere was about a month ago... Nvidia was waiting with GTX1060 and released it just after premiere of AMD GPUs and because of current prices GTX1060 looks like a better option.

I have to agree. The only place I might differ is the RX 480 4 GB for 1080p. If AMD can keep them at or below $200 they should do OK. I don't think that's an entirely bad place to be for AMD. The 8 GB card at $200 would be a solid card but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. Otherwise Woomack described me perfectly. I had a mid range FX and a budget AMD card on a decent (not great, but good) mobo, all of which was an upgrade from another all AMD rig. The build in my sig is where I ended up a month ago. Perfect timing and price on the RX 480 but that's being replaced with a GTX 1070 soon. All this for the reasons Woomack gave in the above quote. I was tempted to get another 480 and Xfire them, but that much horsepower isn't needed for my 1080p display, and I don't want the hassle of dual cards if I don't absolutely need it. I'm an AMD fanboy and I wish them luck but it will be a long time before they see my money again.

edit: But if anyone is interested, newegg has XFX RX 480 8 GB cards back in stock for $269 for however long they last. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150772

Last edited:
They barely did anything. They just reduce loses and have plans for future but so far most are only words.
You clearly have no idea what technology is in gaming consoles. It's the same as Kabini but with more cores and better graphics ... still it's 3-4 year old technology. If it was so great then Microsoft wouldn't force game manufacturers to lock FPS and "optimize" games ( cutting details ) so games won't lag. Zen is totally different product and actually since RX400 and Zen, AMD is starting to make something good ( RX460 is a mistake ).

High performance, low power CPU which generates low heat will be always needed and this way is going market. AMD has no products like that. I mean not even 1 APU/CPU is any competition to Intel products right now. I like Kabini but it's 3 year old chip at ~15W TDP while Intel has competitive chips at 4-10W TDP.

If AMD was doing so great then most AMD fans wouldn't move to Intel. Check AMD section on OCF. Most AMD users switched sides and they expect AMD to show something good ... but it's constantly delayed and I'm afraid the same story as always will repeat with Zen even though on paper it looks like good CPU. RX480/470 are good GPUs but were released at least 3 months too late to make a difference ( not to mention pcie power fail which could be solved before premiere ). We were hearing about them since the beginning of this year while premiere was about a month ago... Nvidia was waiting with GTX1060 and released it just after premiere of AMD GPUs and because of current prices GTX1060 looks like a better option. They will make exactly the same with GTX1080Ti.

Current performance leaks regarding Zen are placing it as competition to Haswell i5 ... so 8 core Zen vs 3 year old, 4 core i5. I don't know if this is what people are looking for. If it's true and AMD won't release anything ~4GHz ( with good OC potential ) then somehow I can't see anyone buying AMD as an Intel replacement.

I'm counting on something good from AMD as Intel is simply boring so what I said above is not because I hate AMD. Probably I will try Zen but I won't use it as daily rig but more like a test/benchmarking platform.
AMD fans moving to Intel has nothing to do with what the company is doing but rather what it was doing. My stock is bouncing through the roof because of the moves the company is making. You can keep talking about the past or realize what they've been doing to prepare for the future. They're the only company with a CPU and GPU and are making some huge steps. Someone who doesn't know any better talks about what a game console does vs the fact that AMD is in over 60 MILLION systems and growing. Talk about your framerates or whatever all you want but I'm looking at real world figures and my trading account. My initial statement was in relation to someone stating AMD is sinking. Completely not the case. The company has new leadership and it's showing. New R&D, new multi platform products, and a balance sheet that's turning around. You can tell me whatever you'd like but my 40.8% stock increase is telling me something else. Proof is in the pudding. AMD is making great moves.

Leadership is the same for a long time already. Most their moves were bad and the worst are constant delays. The only change now is that guy who was designing A64 back to make Zen ( and will probably leave after that ). I don't want to argue with you but you got AMD stocks when company was on the bottom and now is reducing loses and slowly going up. Your profits are not proving that AMD is growing or taking any significant part of the market. They are still losing each quarter but now it's not so much as it was couple of months ago.
AMD is in barely couple of % of office hardware which is the biggest market. The same on a server market it's barely existing. Even on gaming market is has like 25% shares now and it's going down ( check at least Steam statistics ).

I'm not sure what good moves we've seen in last monts/years. FX is almost not selling anymore. APUs are total fail considering target customers. Fury was not selling since the premiere. Other graphics are 3-6 year old rebrands with better drivers. RX480 entered market with couple of months delay and Nvidia killed its premiere with GTX1060 ... not to mention that AMD released these graphics with PCIE power delivery issue what was causing pcie slots to burn ... what even worse it was happening more often on motherboards with AMD chipsets.
The only thing that they have left is pretty slow and already old APU technology in consoles. Cheap enough to make good money but without future.

True but if AMD keeps popping out competitive 200-300$ Vid cards and the Zen competes well with the Intel offerings then the company will definitely have a turn around.

I wouldnt say AMD Video cards have sold poorly even since say 4xxx series AMD cards.
the 6950's unlocked and sold a ton.
the 7xxx series sold lots
the 290's 290x's sold lots and even had stock issues

the 3xx's were so so but sold alright
and the 4xx's are having stock issues again

--------------

If the Zen delivers at a lower price they will definitely reclaim market share.
And if they can bring 480x power ratings to a higher performance GPU on next release then they will do well.

True but if AMD keeps popping out competitive 200-300$ Vid cards and the Zen competes well with the Intel offerings then the company will definitely have a turn around.
High-end series are low % of all sales. It's only marketing tool to make money on cheaper products. It's like they sell 10 top graphics cards but at the same time 1000 lowest series. High series are to show the world they have new technology and it's worth to invest in them. Low series have most of the same features but are cheap.
I wouldnt say AMD Video cards have sold poorly even since say 4xxx series AMD cards.

Graphics cards is what keeps AMD alive for long years as it's the only department which is not bringing high loses. AMD discrete graphics had about 40-50% of the market for long years. Still most of the sales are cheap graphics and IGP.

the 6950's unlocked and sold a ton. <-- only first batches were unlocking, these cards were quickly locked
the 7xxx series sold lots <-- many of these cards were HD6xxx rebrands and AMD simply had nothing better to offer below $300, 7950/7970 had high RMA rate
the 290's 290x's sold lots and even had stock issues <-- people were buying them almost only because of mining, a lot of these cards had issues, a lot were DOA, a lot died after 2-3 months of mining, my first 290X was DOA, 2nd went to RMA after one benching session, 3rd sold

the 3xx's were so so but sold alright <-- 290/X rebrand with little improvements, waste of money comparing to Nvidia products
and the 4xx's are having stock issues again <-- issues fixed but should've been before premiere, not about a month after, non-reference cards have no issues

If the Zen delivers at a lower price they will definitely reclaim market share.
And if they can bring 480x power ratings to a higher performance GPU on next release then they will do well. <-- new chips will be in 2017, today were news about it

Yesterday I got RX480 and all is fine but card is generating more heat than GTX1070. At the same time is generating as much noise as GTX780 in 3D mode. That's the highest HIS series with better cooling etc. In 2D mode fans are not spinning. Even though RX480 is a good card, Nvidia has some more to offer in similar price. GTX1060 or 1070 are really quiet and overclock better.
I just doubt that RX470/480 will change anything on the market and RX460 is already weak card.

I had loads of 7970's and 280x's (around 20 in total), and 2 290x's and 1x290 that unlocked to 290x.

Never had an issue with any of them.

Many 7970 had issues related to memory or whatever was causing vertical stripes on the screen. I had that on my first MSI Lightning. I don't know why but there are mainly issues with the highest AMD graphics. The same was with 290/X and I remember that SF101 had some issues with new cards too. I had only ASUS 290X Matrix so can't say for other brands but around the forums I saw many other cases with black screen, freezing etc.
I had no issues at all with HD7850/7870 and R5/R7 cards that I had a chance to review.
So far RX480 runs great. Will test it some more in next days.

There is one thing which maybe not all users see or maybe it's something with my eyes :p. On AMD cards I have a feeling like all is a bit sharper. I mean fonts and some other things look somehow better on AMD than on Nvidia. In games I can't see it but on the desktop or during other work I feel some difference.

Back