• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't update Windows 7 installs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the bane of my existence at work right now. Every computer that I have fresh wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 Enterprise on has needed the same type of treatment - each time a different set of updates has been required. You're not alone. Glad I caught this thread because right now I have a machine that isn't updating despite installing both July and August roll ups, 5 or 6 other updates I had on hand that worked on other machines... and I've been constantly clearing the distro folder and caroot2 folder to manually reset updates history.

Messed up thing is I am past the point where you get the 234 updates. I had to install all 234 updates ~20-25 at a time because the first time it failed on 49 of them and reverted back. However, it failed on a few more updates after it reverted so it chose the restore point before all 234 updates were installed. Such a pain - wasted at least 3-4 hours of time and I have been going at this since noon yesterday.

Going to try some of the updates mentioned in this thread and hope it works out. Right now I can't even install Office 2016 because the update service hangs. :mad:

Oh and IE doesn't work at all. Trying to navigate past MSN.com just comes up as a blank page or indefinitely attempts to query the
website you type in.

That is so frustrating, isn't it?. If you can get another browser installed offline like Chrome or Firefox, use it instead. Copy the standalone installer to a flash drive with another computer and then move it over to the over to the one you are currently working on.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/google-chrome-full-standalone-offline-installer-links

What I don't understand is why Micorosoft can't fix this once and for all. They seem to have no problems making update work reliably in Windows 10. Why can't they do it in Windows 7?

Last edited:
It isn't a conspiracy theory to say that it is in Microsoft's interest that Windows 7 updates remain difficult to install.
Apple corporation has a history of applying new updates that make old Apple phones more difficult to use than before new updates were applied - directly contributing to users getting new Apple phones. That's also a fact of how modern corporations contribute to their own growth, and not a theory.

It is either intentional or they don't care. I can't envision a scenario where either choice changes my opinion of M$. If I had to guess (And I do) I would guess that in the attempt to ruin W7 with the same update BS as W10, they broke it. W7 isn't compatible with their attempts so they leave it broken until they can figure out how to finish wrecking it.

That's also a fact of how modern corporations contribute to their own growth, and not a theory.

Wait wait wait... back the truck up. Not to go to far off topic but, Ive been suspicious of this kind of behavior before but always discounted it as a machination of a suspicious mind. You mean there is real world evidence of this kind of chicanery ?

also
It is either intentional or they don't care.
+1

That is so frustrating, isn't it?. If you can get another browser installed offline like Chrome or Firefox, use it instead. Copy the standalone installer to a flash drive with another computer and then move it over to the over to the one you are currently working on.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/google-chrome-full-standalone-offline-installer-links

What I don't understand is why Micorosoft can't fix this once and for all. They seem to have no problems making update work reliably in Windows 10. Why can't they do it in Windows 7?

The whole situation I'm in is frustrating. Seems like I fix one update or another and something else breaks along the way. I feel like I'm plugging holes in a sinking ship.
I was actually was able to get IE to download FireFox then used FireFox to download Chrome haha. IE, however, would hang when trying to query the Chrome Install. There is something seriously wrong with some net service on this machine and I have yet to locate what it is. This just teaches me I should have Chrome and FF installs ready to go on my flash drive along with all the other usual programs. Obtaining Chrome is usually so flawless though I never bothered.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it's because M$ doesn't want you to use W7 anymore.

I assume this is the case as well. Force as many people to upgrade to Win 10 as possible so they can meet their data mining quota. Honestly, the more I see where operating systems and applications are headed (towards data mining as much user information as possible) the more convinced I am the government has to be offering some sort of prize to the biggest collector.

You guys realize this works in Win7 and has had zero issues updating so far ? why keep using the standard Windows app ?

I'll give it a whirl, however, I finally got all the updates installed properly. Now, the issue is that I run the updater troubleshooter and I'm still getting an 80070057 update error. I'm pretty certain this has to be a service that is either running slow or locking up. It takes the laptop about a minute to log into a domain account which is about 50 seconds above average. My domain account usually logs in under 5 seconds, however, on that particular machine it takes over a minute. It's infuriating when your machine boots to Windows in under 30 seconds, but takes well over a minute to log into the desktop. Not to mention all the other weird things that are now appearing (outlook unable to auto-discover is just one of them).

Wait wait wait... back the truck up. Not to go to far off topic but, Ive been suspicious of this kind of behavior before but always discounted it as a machination of a suspicious mind. You mean there is real world evidence of this kind of chicanery ?

also

+1

This goes back the beginning of the century. As posted earlier, one of the earliest and best examples is KB891711.exe and KB918547.exe update patches, exe files which were run *every time* Windows 98/Me booted. They were security updates. They made your machine more secure. Also very much unusable because running them crippled the old machines. They were inserted to run with every Windows boot. Back in those days new machines pretty much = new OS.
They were there for security reasons, not to cripple your machine - of course. But if you knew how to disable them from running at startup, your machine would be usable again and you didn't have to go out and buy a new one (yet).

Why did (lots & lots of) people update their old iPhones? Because after an update their old iPhones exhibited behavior that made them not as usable any more. Those were security patches - of course.
They were not there to cripple old iPhones. But if people could revert back and uninstall those Apple updates [which of course they could not] - their old iPhones wouldn't be as crippled any more and coincidentally they would not have upgraded their iPhones for a long while, if ever.

But let's be clear that there was no conspiracy there. You can't prove anything :) Those were security patches that just happened to overwhelm older hardware. But safety first.
Android also took steps to make it next to impossible to revert to an earlier version of Android OS.
Each new Android version has exponentially more limitations than the previous one.

There is no winning here, there is no competition...

I don't know how people will continue to get security updates without updating their Windows 10 build?

You guys realize this works in Win7 and has had zero issues updating so far ? why keep using the standard Windows app ?

This is an unusable tool for me. It must modify blocks of memory or have some other type of similar behavior coded into it because it is detected as a Trojan by our network AV... and I cannot disable our network AV unfortunately.

This is an unusable tool for me. It must modify blocks of memory or have some other type of similar behavior coded into it because it is detected as a Trojan by our network AV... and I cannot disable our network AV unfortunately.

Modifies system settings like disabling automatic updates, passes AV/malware check fine on mine :confused: can you set it to ignore ?

No, sadly that is something that is monitored by people above me. If it were up to me I would be able to disable real-time protection. I've had many issues with it as a lot of tools I used to use come up as Trojans as well.

-- Edit --

Endpoint Protection classifies it as "Trojan:Win32/Spursint.A!cl". How convenient that Microsoft's own network/enterprise class AV prevents you from using a tool to fix update issues.

Last edited:
It seems that the files from http://wu.krelay.de/en/ suggested by satrow are a good first start. There are 7 files to download on that page & anything you do after that which puts the windows update client icon in your status bar means you are almost fixed. Once that icon appears, windows update is officially working and will probably ask for a reboot first time opened.

Any standard hardware drivers should be gathered from the manufacturer's website of the device itself and not necessarily from the computer's website as windows update has a tendency to deliver bad ones and the pc manufacturer's don't often stay up to date. I like to go to Station Drivers myself to get the latest and greatest.
http://www.station-drivers.com/

Major Geeks has an interesting page for updating and fixes, highly recommended to just browse if anyone's interested.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/windows_update.html

Gotta go have to reboot to finish the 120 updates I just installed. The mini update tool said I had ~177 but the built-in windows update client was a 100 times faster and more easily understood to the actual pc.

minitool doesn't work any better for me than the built-in Windows 7 update tool. It searched all night for updates and didn't find any.

Just to share my pain - I did another fresh install of Win 7 today on another machine. Installed a grand total of 5 updates before breaking.

Went to my go to - Windows Readiness Update - still broken. Ran the Update Troubleshooter - found problems with the registry and services - fixed them (haha, yeah right).

Still broken and pushing individual manual updates. I need to build this slip streamed image asap :(

Different version possibly or Win7 only has access to one update server ? if that's the case and M$ is really trying to make life difficult for all non-Win10 no 3rd party app will help you :( I have no issues in Win8.1 but can ask my father who still runs Win7 if hes having problems ?

Clipboard02.jpg

As you can see, 7 seconds to check for updates ?

Last edited:
Once you get Win 7 fully updated you don't run into anymore issues for the most part and seriously, that's the messed up part here. The catch is that now without almost all of the updates Office 2016 will NOT install. It just hangs at 0% installing in the background for forever.

I got the laptop I was having issues with to finally install all of the available updates (doing many of them manually). Now the only issues that remain are that it takes over a minute to log into a Windows account that is attached to our work domain and if I run the Updater Troubleshooter it still spits out that I am having error 80070057, but no matter what I do to try and resolve the error it just never seems to go away. I'd list off everything I've tried, but I've tried so many different methods I can't even remember without going through an extremely long history in my browser.

It's things like this that make my blood boil and curse Microsoft (I guess I should jump on the "M$" bandwagon here) because they have literally put major businesses in a pinch here.

The other gripe I've got with them is that you can't use standalone installers for other Office products if you use the click-to-run installation of 2016. So almost every person in my company who has had Office installed that requires additional programs such as Project Professional 2016 will require me to remove their CTR version of Office and install each product they need manually with individual standalone installers. This is a waste of time and cripples my users for a whole day because they have to wait for their Outlook to repopulate and everyone at this company has epic amounts of email sitting on the exchange server. #$()%)@#$()!()!!!!!!! :mad:

The minitool doesn't seem to be helping with Windows 7, but I noticed some driver updates not being pushed to my Win 10 laptop that I was able to get installed using this tool.

No Win10 anniversary update showing on the list yet, I'm checking each time I startup the laptop to hide it when it finally does show up.

Back