• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't update Windows 7 installs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will try to find time to integrate this thing and do a test run on this.
Let's see if we can figure this out together from scratch.

Sounds good to me... I'm waiting for the roll up to add, but I've never added a package which already exists... So I can't tell if it is hung or if it is possible adding the package correctly this time since it is taking a while.

As I was typing this is finally displayed 21.9% - I think the first time I added the roll up it failed because it went much faster than it is going this time. Luckily it only takes 10 minutes roughly to install Windows from scratch on this spare computer I'm using for the test.

Edit: My install.wim is now bigger by about the same amount of data the roll up uses (4GB total). Cross your fingers!

Last edited:
I didnt read the guide you posted thoroughly, so please forgive if this is stated there already but.... I believe you can slipstream SP1 and then SP2 (convenience rollup) will have to be applied separately. Meaning run the slipstream process to add SP1 and follow to completion. Test new iso (Win7 + SP1) to be sure it works and then begin again for SP2. Afterwards be sure to test your new iso (Now has Win7 + Sp1 and convenience rollup) and take an MD5 of the file so you can guard against future corruption (because I dont beleive there will be any file hashes available from microsoft to check against for a slipstreamed iso)

Afterwards be sure to test your new iso (Now has Win7 + Sp1 and convenience rollup) and take an MD5 of the file so you can guard against future corruption (because I dont beleive there will be any file hashes available from microsoft to check against for a slipstreamed iso)

This is where I'm at. Didn't think about making an MD5, that's a real good point. I'm going to test it out now on my system at home and see what happens. I want to make sure that it isn't going to have random issues working across other systems. I'm using a modified Optiplex as the other test machine so it uses very generic drivers and still runs well on them.

Question: Windows 7 SP1 convenience rollup contains all the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 SP1 up through April 2016.
What are you guys talking about when you say there have been other downloads released after April 2016?
Is there an all comprehensive download that includes post April 2016 updates?

Last edited:
okay guys here you go

*please* post if anything is not 100% clear.

You should be able to install this OFFLINE, and the first time you try to access Windows 7 Update, it should only list 2016 May updates and later:

Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup contains all the security and non-security fixes released in more than five years since the release of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 in February 2011.
Here's how to make a single installation ISO which includes all Windows 7 updates up to 2016.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/
gives a download link which only works with Internet Explorer and not other browsers:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

[You need to install the Microsoft Update Catalog Add-on to be able to Add the downloads to download "basket"...]
Update for Windows 7 (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 316.0 MB
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 476.9 MB

• April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 will be required:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

• Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 will also be needed:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753

Now rename and copy all the files from above to folder C:\Updates:

• 64-Bit April 2016 Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup update file (KB3125574):
AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu

• 64-Bit April 2015 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 file
Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu

• 32-Bit April 2016 Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup update file (KB3125574):
X86-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86.msu

• 32-Bit April 2015 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 file
Windows6.1-KB3020369-x86.msu

• Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 file
KB3AIK_EN.iso

0. Download Windows 7 + Service Pack 1 integrated Disc Images (ISO Files) from
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

1. Extract Windows 7 + Service Pack 1 iso to C:\Win7SP1ISO
[Look up how to extract contents of an .iso file if you don't know how.]

2. Make a new folder C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline

3. Make sure that Windows 7 SP1 convenience rollup .msu file and April 2015 servicing stack update .msu file are in C:\updates

4. Run this command from DOS as an Administrator:
Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:C:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim /Name:"Windows 7 ULTIMATE" /MountDir:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline

If you have a different version of Windows 7, then replace the word ULTIMATE with the version of Windows 7 you have.
If you do not know which version of Windows 7 you have, use this command to see what is next to Name:
Dism /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:C:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim

5. Integrate Servicing Stack Update:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu
Change name of .msu file if you are integrating a 32-bit / different version file:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x86.msu

6. Integrate Convenience Rollup update package:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu
Change name of .msu file if you are integrating a 32-bit / different version file:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\X86-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86.msu

[This step takes a while.]

7. Commit the changes and unmount the image:
Dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Commit

= = = = =

Create a new Windows7Updated.iso installation which will include all updates through April 2016:

8. Download and install the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 on Windows Vista/7/8/10:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753

Select Windows AIK Setup to install.

9. Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows AIK.
Run Deployment Tools Command Prompt as an Administrator.

oscdimg -m -u2 -bC:\Win7SP1ISO\boot\etfsboot.com C:\Win7SP1ISO\ C:\Windows7Updated.iso

Last edited:
I knew you would work your way around to getting a solution to this c627627. It was eating at you. But the process you outline seems considerably more laborious than just using WSUS.

I knew you would work your way around to getting a solution to this c627627. It was eating at you. But the process you outline seems considerably more laborious than just using WSUS.

This is essentially the process I went through yesterday. Using WSUS does not work for me on most machines.

Question: Windows 7 SP1 convenience rollup contains all the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 SP1 up through April 2016.
What are you guys talking about when you say there have been other downloads released after April 2016?
Is there an all comprehensive download that includes post April 2016 updates?

There is June, July, and August roll ups that redact and add new updates. There was an article posted about the June/July Roll ups I linked in my guide and was posted earlier in this thread. Basically Intel and M$ are in a war over driver protocols and the way Windows handles them if I understood the article correctly. How these updates are absolutely critical is beyond me - but they were in order to get Office 2016 to install on any of the computers I've been attempting to update.

Last edited:
This might be of some use, pointed out to me earlier today: Windows 7 Update solution for advanced users

I won't be able to test it for a while but I will make the point that I don't have either of the listed KBs installed and I don't get offered them by WU. It should be a very fast update method, if it works for new installs/SP1 installs.

I can confirm that this is hit or miss as well. The problem is that Updates has a tendency to break again after you've installed 3-4 batches of updates. It also has a tendency to fail installing updates in large batches and will restore you back to a point without them and the Updater will be broken yet again.

The only clear solution I can see to avoiding any of this is getting an image working that comes with all the updates slipstreamed into it. I won't get a chance to test my build today since I am not in the office with extra machines at my disposal, but unfortunately last night SP2/Convenience roll up failed yet again. I am going to start from scratch with a clean Win 7 Ent ISO and integrate SP1, test it; then integrate the Convenience roll up and test it again. If I can get this to work I'm going to integrate the June, July, and August updates as well.

The thing that is peculiar is there is a May 2016 update for the Windows Updater and I have yet to check if it is included in the Convenience Roll up. If not I will need to integrate that as well because without it this is where the updater tends to break again as getting it automatically tends to fail.

Edit: Truth is that if one of these methods works ONCE for you, then it has only worked that ONE time. If you could duplicate a clean, quick install 3 or more times then I would say the method is a solid bet. Unfortunately in my situation I am constantly formatting/installing Win 7 Enterprise on multiple new computers and each one runs into different, inconsistent issues with either Updates failing, the services locking up, or has issues with logging in even. These issues vary based on where I am at with the updates.

Last edited:

Take a stop watch and two test subjects.
The one which follows these instructions will install Windows 7 with all the update patches through 2016 faster and faster by several orders of magnitude, and with less headaches than if using any other approach.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup. It is not buggy.
It's just that no one made clear instructions on what to do.
Microsoft has a marketing/public relations problem that causes it so many problems because no one posts clear instructions on what to do.

UNTIL NOW :D :http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169

There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup. It is not buggy.

I don't know why I am having so many issues with it. I'm going to try your guide step for step as soon as I can. My company is in the middle of a move while I'm dealing with these issues on several machines. So much fun :)

I think our previous criticism actually may still apply to existing installations wanting to upgrade but not to brand new installations.
Making that ISO is crucial. You install Windows 7 and then instead of 2011 installation, you have a 2016 installation with all the patches already built in.

If you go through the guide (I went through it several times and tried to make it so that mistakes can't happen) - please post if anything was not 100% crystal clear.
Make sure you have enough space on the drive where this is being executed.

I regularly see updated windows images on the net of bootable isos. As long as you have a proper key you can just download and install one without worrying about adding updates to some random disc image that's a year old. I fixed a fujitsu laptop this way. Probably one of the easiest installs from bare metal I've ever done.

I bought the restore discs for my tablet and it takes like an hour to boot to the desktop that needs over 120 updates and a ton of tlc. I can restore my pc to a perfect state in ~10m with clonezilla negating the need for the restore discs altogether.

The thing that I don't like about Clonezilla is that it doesn't dynamically resize the target disk like say, Acronis does. Or at least the last time I used it that was the case. So the target disk has to be at least as large as the clone source disk.

I wish I could use clonezilla or any other imaging software for this, but I can't. I need a bootable installer that will work on multiple models and brands. I need a mass installation solution that works for Windows 7 Enterprise.

Never heard of that one before but it's got a pretty hefty price tag on it.

Back