• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help! Pc wont boot after GPU change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CanisLupus

So i put in a new GPU. Turned on pc, it booted once, turned itself off and on again. No signal to monitor, no lights on Mouse or keyboard. Wont beep on startup, with or without ram. Fans and lights run fine. Tested PSU, its fine, and more than enough to Power the new GPU. So i put my old GPU back in, and it wont boot with this card either now. Do i have a broken motherboard and/or CPU?

Welcome to OCF CanisLupus!:welcome:

We have plenty of help here so be patient with our questions, as we will be with your answers.

List your system specs including all components, cooling, and OS so we can understand the challenge. Are you familiar with working in BIOS?

Agreed with the others. We need to know about your system. Specifically, What GPU did you install? What power supply do you have? What CPU and motherboard? How much RAM?

One possible theory is that your new GPU could have overloaded your power supply. Again, without more specific details, this may not be the issue at all.

Specs

This is a pc build from 2014, so it might be a bit dated.

Fans 1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Top, 1x 120mm Back, mATX, ATX, LEDs,
ATX 12V V2.3, Standard, 1x 4+4 CPU, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 3x Molex, 1x FD,
Intel Core i5-4590, Socket-LGA1150
Prosessor, Quad Core, 3.3GHz, 6MB, 84W, 22nm, HD4600
MSI B85M-E45, Socket-1150
m-ATX, B85, DDR3, 1xPCIe-x16, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Haswell,
2x HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fury White Series PnP
PCI-Express 3.0, GHOST 2.0, DL-DVI-I + SL-DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort,
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD±R DL: 12x, CD-R: 48x, Bulk, BLACK,
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM
SATA3.0, 7mm, 450MB/450MB/s read/write, SandForce®,
PSU Corsair AX860 860w

The GPU i put in was a Geforce GTX 1080
Just to be safe i have ordered a new mobo and a new cpu, just to upgrade it a Little

Intel Core i7-4790K
3,6 GHz Quadcore, Z97S Mainboard, 16GB DDR3
Intel Core i7-4790K
Socket-LGA1150,Quad Core 4.0GHz,8MB,88W,22nm,HD4600,Boxed w/fan, Devil's Canyon,
2x HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
2x8GB 1600MHz (PC3-12800) DDR3 CL10,
MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Socket-1150
Motherboard, ATX, DDR3, 2xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, M.2, SATA Express,

Looks like it might just need a driver update? Plug your display into your mobo, download the drivers for the card, then restart with it plugged into the card.

Tried.. No luck going straight in the mobo. Fans start, lights go on, but no beep, and no signal

You did what I'd do, just buy another mobo, but maybe one of the more experienced dudes here could help better.

Tried building outside the case with minimal hardware?
(Only CPU, motherboard, 1x DIMM, PSU, and heatsink)

No. But i have a new mobo and cpu coming in the mail, im suspecting either faulty mobo or cpu

Long shot here - Have you tried plugging the GPUs into other PCIE slots? Possibly the new card shot the slot you were using or it was ready to go on its own. This is pretty rare, but I have seen it happen before.

Also, did you remember to plug the 12v PCI-e cable or cables coming directly from the PSU into the card?

Back