• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k & Maximus 8 Hero Act 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So, I've been reading a lot of guides, tweaking with settings, etc.

My settings are more or less the same as this video shows

The whacky overvolting is better but still not perfect. Voltage is in manual mode, first I set it to 1.26 volts (at my moderate overclock of 4.5GHz) and then to 1.275 at the same overclock. Benched with Cinenbech and various other programs and the voltage got up to 1.3 volts, which everyone says is unneccesary and causes extra heat for no reason. Why does this mobo still overvolt the chip even on manual above my settings? My EVGA SR-2 -never- did this, the voltage you set was the voltage it topped out at, if it BSOD'd then, oh well it BSOD'd. This mobo seems like its trying to prevent a BSOD or something lol going somewhat higher above what I set. At load the CPU gets to ~70C both at 1.26 and 1.275 volts. Idle it's at 33C or thereabouts. CPU cooler is a Hyper 212 EVO in push/pull with non-stock YateLoon high speed fans. How do I make it adhere to my settings? Did I/that video miss something?

Use LLC to lower the load voltage. It may be on auto, if so, set it to its lowest setting and see if that helps. Otherwise, simply lower it the voltage to compensate for the 'vraise' you are experiencing.

Unlocked the thread

Thank you, wanted to reply yesterday and couldn't.

On the VIII Hero the LLC setting 5/6 seem to be the best ones (I use 5), voltages stay roughly consistent with the one you pick in BIOS.

Use LLC to lower the load voltage. It may be on auto, if so, set it to its lowest setting and see if that helps. Otherwise, simply lower it the voltage to compensate for the 'vraise' you are experiencing.

Thank you, wanted to reply yesterday and couldn't.

On the VIII Hero the LLC setting 5/6 seem to be the best ones (I use 5), voltages stay roughly consistent with the one you pick in BIOS.

It is on 5. I updated my BIOS as well just to be sure (ressetting cmos and everything beforehand of course)

Newest BIOS for my mobo is 1902.

Same problem. Here it is @ 4.5 GHZ with Prime 95 running

1.4 volts! It's set on manual at 1.27ish. Point is, it's not what I set it to, not even -close-. LLC is on Level 5.

Should I try it on level 1? lol... fricken annoying. I'm going to try turning off SpeedStep and just make it run at 4.5 all of the time who the hell cares about a few watts.

EDIT: Nope, same deal with SpeedStep off.

EDIT 2: Tried Adaptive Mode, with a base of 1.28 (high I know but eh, bettter than 1.4 rofl) and an offset of +0.020 for a total of 1.3 volts. Impressively, this time it only goes slightly above what I set the maximum to be, 1.328 volts. I think I'll leave it with this, although I still prefer manual. Temperature running prime 95 for 5 minutes topped at 70C which seems fine. I don't feel like running it for longer.

y55mJXz.png

Last edited:
If that is the latest version of P95 it will raise voltage for the AVX/FMA3 instruction set... this is why some people do not like it. Try running something else like the stress test in AIDA64 and see if it stays where you set it. That is not vraise on the board going that high.

PS - What is with your signature?

It shouldn't raise voltage above what is set in BIOS at LLC ~5. If you set LLC to 5-6 then it should keep voltage under full load slightly below what you set in BIOS regardless of used application. If you get 1.4V+ when you set 1.27V in BIOS then something isn't right and I would ask ASUS support.
It can be also bad BIOS version.
Read from other soft too to be sure it's not the soft issue.

On my board I had no issues with that but I sold it about half year ago.

So update:

Thanks to EarthDog in an unrelated (or so I thought) topic (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...hink-everything-is-SCSI?p=7954701#post7954701)

I found out what the issue was: Intel Management Interface Engine. I originally did not install it because what I read online said it was a remote management/desktop service or somesuch like that. Well, I should have looked specifically for this mobo since it certainly affects voltage regulation somehow. (I thought that all was in the BIOS, apparently not. What if you ran Linux or something that didn't support that driver? Would you be screwed?)

Installed driver. Switched to Manual mode @ 1.28 volts (high I know but I like stability to be as guaranteed as possible)

Now it does not go higher -ever- than what I set, just like my EVGA SR-2 did. Seems stable, ran Prime95 for a bit and it seems to top out at 60-65C. Wonder if I could go to 4.6 GHZ.

EDIT:

Manual at 1.29 volts, LLC at level 6. Prime 95 at 4.6 GHZ gets to ~68C @ 1.32ish volts.

Intel's burn in gets it to 75C.

Think I found my 24/7 =P

Only issue here is SpeedStep does not seem to work properly on Manual voltage, it gives it constant 1.29 volts even though it's at 800mhz. Meh.

EDIT: Tried 4.7 GHZ.

Terrible, terrible things happened. Looks like 4.6 is my wall. Stepped up voltage to 1.375 in manual mode with 4.7 GHZ, not stable, BSODs and programs crashing left and right. 1.38, slightly more stable although threads fail on Prime95. Did not try any higher than that as I hear 1.4 volts is where you start cutting into your CPU life. In adaptive mode, set to a total of 1.38 GHZ, it wanted 1.402 volts!

I was like lol no. Back to 4.6 GHZ I go. 4.6 GHZ passes CinebenchR15 (both tests) 3dmark Firestrike (all tests), Prime95 for a fair bit untill the temperatures top out. Seems fine. Meh, from what I can gather I got an average or somewhat below average chip. I guess I'm paying for my old epic Xeon X5650s silicon lottery at 3.9 GHZ at ridiculously low voltages 1.223 volts lol ( )

Last edited:
Back