• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chelinkas

My friend gave this video card but I noticed that something fell off when I pulled it out of the box wondering if still any usable or should I throw it out
15qpu9k.jpg

As you don't show much in the pic and you don't say what "fell off"....impossible to say what you should do with that BFG GTX 260
[h=1][/h]

It's a evga geforce gtx 260 where is says c750 the little circuit is missing is next to it look the picture closer and you'll see it

That is most likely a noise filtering capacitor, there are lots of those on that board, missing 1 should not effect it all that much, all these parts on the back and front are very fragile so be careful when handling them.

I know it's silly to ask but can you weld it back?

If you've never done any sort of board repair before...don't attempt it.

And...that card has a lot of "gunk" on it.

(Also - this is why I like cards with backplates...don't have to worry about accidently knocking one off).

Anyways, try the card out! Large chance you won't notice any negative effects from the minor damage. Should function and display exactly as it did before that little piece was chipped off. Don't worry about replacing it.

That is a surface mount capacitor. The silkscreen printing next to it says C750, where C is standard for a capacitor and the number might be arbitrary or it is the 750th capacitor in the board design. You may not have any problems but it's hard to tell without knowing what purpose the capacitor plays in the circuitry. Discard the little piece from the board before you power it on if it is stuck to the bottom of the board :thup:

I'm guessing they followed the naming convention of C750 meaning the 50th capacitor on page 7 of the schematic!

If you've never done any sort of board repair before...don't attempt it.

And...that card has a lot of "gunk" on it.
Yeah, upon looking closer it looks as though there's corrosion or some sort of water damage (maybe just from condensation or moist air) around some of the capacitors near the GPU core.

Back